Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"Is Obrien Really An NFL Caliber Head Coach"??

Phoenix

Waterboy
I think time will prove the answer is no, Obrien isn't an NFL caliber "head coach" ( maybe a coordinator?) The team has horrible fundamentals andposition technique and they rarely seem fired up ( w/exception of a few players.) Based on what I see every game it looks like they rarely practice the basic fundamentals (tackling, catching, run blocking etc etc) Obrien & his staff also have a history of rushing injured players back to soon. I haven't seen many smart decisive moves by Obrien. It looks to me like he's in over his head as a Head Coach..Truth is that The Texans (Obriens Team) have gotten worse the last 2 yrs not better. And it's looking like they've gotten a lot worse. I know some guys will blame the players (saying the coaches aren't the ones on the field)...But I believe a head coach and his staff can make or break the players. In the NFL the head coach is always held responsible (as I believe he should be) I predict they will have a few games this yr that show some spark & everyone will get hopefull but the season will end at 7 wins 8 losses (with a lot of luck). I predict that Obrien will never be a head coach in the NFL after his time w/Texans. I also think Godsey has been very over rated. Defense has gotten worse w/ Romeo too. Would like to hear other opinions.

Based on today's performance, he is not... I am very interested in how he is able to get the team ready for Thursday's game against Indy. That will say more about him as a head coach than one pathetic performance against an NFC opponent. If they are sloppy, unprepared, and play undisciplined Thursday then I will become quite skeptical.

Bill O'Brien would be a great fit for the Texas Longhorns. He did a wonderful job at Penn State. He's a solid head coach. All he needs is a good quarterback for some NFL success.

Based on today's performance, he is not... I am very interested in how he is able to get the team ready for Thursday's game against Indy. That will say more about him as a head coach than one pathetic performance against an NFC opponent. If they are sloppy, unprepared, and play undisciplined Thursday then I will become quite skeptical.

This is how I feel. You know the heart of a team by how they respond to these things.

If they come out flat and unprepared...then you know that is the heart of this team going forward.

If they come out and get a big win...then maybe.

As of right now he's not. I'm willing to change my mind when he changes our record.

If they're not fired up & dominate Indy on Thursday night... I'll be very disappointed.

O'Brien was brought in as a QB and offensive guru and so far I haven't seen him deliver on this. It all comes down to the bad personnel decisions he has made along with Rick Smith. I think he would be a good coach if he had talent to work with, but you can say that for any coach. Next year I hope that the Texans bring in a new GM to help O'Brien make better player decisions. Having him be the coach and the GM is not working. O'Brien and Smith do not know how to evaluate talent. Anybody surprised by this turn of events should have known this was coming just with the questionable decisions he has made at the QB position.

8ball.jpg
i

I'm not very big on "fire the head coach" after every bad game, but I have to say that I've seen a disturbing trend of the Texans looking clueless, listless and unprepared this season, especially on the O and ST's.
I'm not sure if OB is scaling back his offense because of personnel (that he chose), Godsey is just that bad at calling a game, the players just aren't performing or a combination of the three.

I'm really tired of all of the "draft an elite QB" stuff. The Texans have passed on two elite QB's: Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. I give a pass on Manning because of the neck injury and CnD not being on the Texans medical staff (damn, they need to offer him a job) and 30 other teams are kicking themselves in the ass over Rodgers. I'm not at all sold on any of the 2014 QB's, so yeah. If OB and RS truly didn't see much difference in the QB class of 2014, they should seriously consider giving Savage a shot. It can't be any worse than what we've seen so far in 2015.

I've also got to start questioning OB's eye at gauging talent. I already doubt Rick Smith's, so this could be a double whammy. This team doesn't look as talented, overall, as the one OB inherited. Given all of the above, I don't see OB getting past year 3, if things stay like they are.

I've also got to start questioning OB's eye at gauging talent. I already doubt Rick Smith's, so this could be a double whammy. This team doesn't look as talented, overall, as the one OB inherited. Given all of the above, I don't see OB getting past year 3, if things stay like they are.

That'll change once we start winning.

I'm not very big on "fire the head coach" after every bad game, but I have to say that I've seen a disturbing trend of the Texans looking clueless, listless and unprepared this season, especially on the O and ST's.
I'm not sure if OB is scaling back his offense because of personnel (that he chose), Godsey is just that bad at calling a game, the players just aren't performing or a combination of the three.

I'm really tired of all of the "draft an elite QB" stuff. The Texans have passed on two elite QB's: Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. I give a pass on Manning because of the neck injury and CnD not being on the Texans medical staff (damn, they need to offer him a job) and 30 other teams are kicking themselves in the ass over Rodgers. I'm not at all sold on any of the 2014 QB's, so yeah. If OB and RS truly didn't see much difference in the QB class of 2014, they should seriously consider giving Savage a shot. It can't be any worse than what we've seen so far in 2015.

The way OB is playing QB. musical chairs (w/little success) you may be right. We may actually see Savage before seasons end. Like you say "It can't get much worse can it...

The way OB is playing QB. musical chairs (w/little success) you may be right. We may actually see Savage before seasons end. Like you say "It can't get much worse can it...
Savage is on I/R. Won't see him til 2016.

Bill O'Brien will get at least four years.
It's year two. Regardless, he has job security for now.
So we can't really talk about him for another few years.
Yes and based on last years solid season with a carousel of QB's he looked like a good HC. his decision to roll with these QBs looks like a bad move. Still too early to say for sure.

Yea.....but we're not winning. And it's not really looking like headed in the right direction. What do we do to start winning to cure this disease?
Coach better, play better, players doing their job? Hell I don't know. This team is a clusterfuck right now. I see game planning as much of a problem as players not playing well.

It actually did happen once, but that was when Foster went off for 230 yards rushing in the home opener againts Indy in 2010.

I agree that it did happen once, but it happened in 2011 when Manning was hurt and Kerry Collins was their starting QB. The Texans only won against the Colts by 10 in that 2010 game and almost allowed Manning a comeback in that game.

I think that O' Brien deserves a pass no matter what the record ends up being for 2015 because of the Hard Knocks curse.

I think the answer to BoB as a head coach is not answered and may never be. His problem right now is he is surrounded by a team devoid of talent. Some of that is his doing, so he still takes the blame from a talent evaluation standpoint.

But I think he will probably get 4 full seasons before he gets fired. This team needs to load up on talent. BoB probably won't be around to see it though since I don't think we can reload in 2 years.

Coach better, play better, players doing their job? Hell I don't know. This team is a clusterfuck right now. I see game planning as much of a problem as players not playing well.
I think most of were pretty sure the offense could struggle with these QBs and not having a healthy foster at RB but this defense is nothing like I thought it could be. A team can focus on watt and neutralize him but no one else on the D is making an impact.

What about this scenario: Dump Godsey....Make Obrien Offensive Coordinator/ QB coach....and find another guy for Head Coach?? I think Obrien is probably a good solid coach just not so sure of him as Head Coach.....They say there's a huge difference between being a OC or DC & being a Head Coach.....Any opinions on this scenario? And who we could get as a head coach??

I think most of were pretty sure the offense could struggle with these QBs and not having a healthy foster at RB but this defense is nothing like I thought it could be. A team can focus on watt and neutralize him but no one else on the D is making an impact.
This is so TRUE.....What the hell happened between last yr & this yr with the defense?? I did not see this coming. Completely blind sided by this struggle on defense

I think Bill O'Brien has messed up the Texans. He inherited a team that although it was 2-14 the previous year it was 12-4 and what it was missing was a quarterback Think of the players that we have jettisoned one very important one pops to mind Owen Daniels. With no tight end on the horizon he should've never been let go. Additionally I love dhop, but I don't know whether he has the ability to be a number one receiver. Not because he's not talented but because he doesn't have the speed. Andre Johnson maybe should've never been lET space though. And the reason I say that is because we have not provided a viable alternative for him either. We complain about linebackers but we got rid of our linebackers and only kept Cushing.

I have plenty of examples of how O'Brien is disassembled are 12–4 team and it makes me wonder if that was because of hubris or what the situation was but the one thing that O'Brien did not do was bring in a quarterback. I am a supporter of mallets, but I don't want to make excuses for him if he can do is throw 100 mile an hour fastball with no change up and that's a problem I except that let's MoveOn we wasted enough time through the years.

But I will say this there's one thing that really scares me for the future it's name is Christian Hackenberg and the reason it scares me is because it's another Hoyer man crush situation in the making. I think Connor Cooke is probably the better pic but the problem is that O'Brien has an experience with Hackenburg and if he picks Hackenburg and it's a disaster and we are out five more years I'd rather them all go before we have a bad QB.

I think they'd be fine.

If they were coaching an elite qb.

I might be inclined to believe that if it were just the offense that was sputtering .... but the special teams is anything but special and the defense hasn't done much defending.

This team has a lot of talent but is missing a few parts to make it whole , one of those parts is schemes that put them in position to succeed .... OB & Co haven't delivered there.

Savage is on I/R. Won't see him til 2016.
Savage is better than those other 2 when he's healthy. Good enough? We'll never know, because he's too prone to injury. We gotta get Connor Cook.

I am disappointed in him I have to think Mallet is not the answer but there are many other holes right now also.

I think they'd be fine.

If they were coaching an elite qb.
Isn't this what most NFL coaches think. successful coaches are the ones like Andy Reid that takes somebody like Alex Smith that's really not a elite and make a good team anyway

Last edited:
I think the answer to BoB as a head coach is not answered and may never be. His problem right now is he is surrounded by a team devoid of talent. Some of that is his doing, so he still takes the blame from a talent evaluation standpoint.

But I think he will probably get 4 full seasons before he gets fired. This team needs to load up on talent. BoB probably won't be around to see it though since I don't think we can reload in 2 years.
1st round picks
  1. Brian Cushing
  2. Kareem Jackson
  3. Whitney Mercilus
  4. Jj Watt
  5. Jadeveon Clowney
  6. Kevin Johnson
  7. Jonathan Joseph
  8. Vince Wilfork
2nd Round Picks
  1. Bernardrick McKinney
  2. Rahim Moore
Jared Crick Quinten Demps are the only "starters" who weren't drafted in the first two rounds.

I know O'Brien has an offensive background but with that many firsts... he should be fielding a better defense than he is.

A lot of us had already looked toward the college ranks for future qbs. Today I was compelled to start looking at potential head coaches on the web. Not so fast rick. I'll be looking for new gm's to. Purge this embarrassment.

21-gun-salute-o.gif

Kinda like Kubiak taking Schaub and making him a very productive player .... winning two division titles.

(Don't look now but the Bronco's are 4-0)
Yes exactly like this and I've been saying that schaub should be the model that were using and that mallet should be fit inside of that but we don't want to do that. Part of me wonders if Mallet doesn't throw right because he has something to prove as opposed to Heian the quarterback I'm here and we're going to do this . I admit that I am very confused by what I'm looking at. Here's my choices

One am I looking at a guy with no football talent.
Two-am I looking at a guy who can't play his game because of his coaches i.e. bad play calling.
Three-am I looking at a guy that has no ability to throw a football at any speed less than 65 miles an hour.
For my looking at an OK quarterback and a reallyh bad receiving corps.

The issue is there's so many problems I can't really tell what's the root cause and start unwinding

The thing is this when Mallet goes up tempo there's a run game and good playcalling he does just fine when anyone of those things are not present the wheels come off the bus so who's fault is that on a five game starting quarterback

Isn't this what most NFL coaches think. successful coaches are the ones like Andy Reid that takes somebody like Alex Smith that's really not a elite and make a good team anyway

I wasn't saying that in defense of OB. It was a criticism. I think elite qbs cover a lot of flaws and I think OB is a very flawed HC.

Back