Is moving Quinn To Safety smart ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by EllisUnit, Aug 4, 2011.

?

Secondary options you prefer.

1. Manning and Quinn at Safety/ Joseph and Allen at CB

44 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. Manning and Quinn at Safety/ Joseph and Jackson at CB

28 vote(s)
    31.5%
  3. Nolan and Manning at Safety/ Joseph and Quinn at CB

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. Manning and Quinn at safety/ Joseph and "rookie" at CB

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

I have been thinking. Troy Nolan played pretty well for us at safety last season, now that we also have manning wouldnt it seem to make more sense to leave Quinn at CB along with Joseph and have Nolan and Manning at Safety.

I like J. Allen and think he will be our #2 CB but i hear a lot of negativity from poster on here about him. And i just dont think K. Jac is ready/has what it takes. So was curious if moving him to safety since he has been our best CB since D-Rob left is a smart move ?

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think it is the correct move. He is a good #2 Cb but I think he will be even better as a safety in this defense. He will make whoever is #2 CB better. As Manning is better, I would not be surprised to see Quin behind Joseph and Manning behind #2 corner.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

When he came out, a lot of people (including Lance Z) assumed they'd be moving him to safety because they thought that would be his natural position.

I don't think that Troy Nolan played "pretty well" for us last year. I think he actually played pretty poorly. And that was tough for me to say because I had high hopes for Nolan and when Eugene Wilson got injured, my reaction was that it would be good because it would give Nolan his chance to get on the field in a game situation and show what he can do. (He's more of a gamer than a practice player.) But he didn't step up. He's a big reason our secondary was so bad last year.

4. EllisUnit

hmmm from what i saw last season he played pretty well. i think all the skill is there, the speed, toughness, the want to. He has descent coverage skills imo.

5. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Agree. Troy Nolan was not any better as a safety than the crap we trotted out there most games. Having my druthers, you are looking at Quinn and Manning at safety with Joseph and the best of the rest at CB.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Not if Kareem Jackson keeps falling down ..... and giving up big plays to practice squad guy's.

I'd almost prefer to see Quin line up as the second corner but with K Jax being first round pick , he's gonna be given a whole lot more opportunity than he deserves to start.

And then .... is Nolan the best guy for the job should Quin stay at CB ? If he couldnt beat out Pollard and Wilson last season .... that doesnt speak well for him starting this season.

BTW its Quin with One N.

7. EllisUnit

:kubepalm: yeah i need to become a sports writer with all my knowledge of how players names are spelled.

It appeared to me last season that Nolan had beaten out wilson, i think they were still rotating them quite a bit cause we sucked in all phases but i saw him get a lot more playing time as the season went on.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

No one in the Texans secondary played "Pretty Well" last season ..... every last one of them sucked more than a $20 whore....

9. EllisUnit

i work in the oilfield 20$ can get ya some aight stuff ;)

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

5 minutes later she's done with you and on to the next one ..... :kitten:

As for Nolan getting more PT , sure he did. Because they had no one else to throw back there .... when Wilson went down.

11. EllisUnit

:doot: dont give me to much credit

12. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Ditto, that's my thinking as well.

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

He got more playing time and he really did not much to show that he was any better than the washed up zombie of eugene wilson unfortunately. I was really excited by what Nolan did in one game (I forget which game it was, but it seemed like it was earlier in the season), and the more he played the more he was exploited.

14. Rey

Rey Guest

Nolan started taking time away from the starting safeties last season. He played a little as strong and a little free. Even when Wilson was healthy enough to play, Nolan still took a lot of his snaps.

15. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

quinn to safety good idea. jackson starting week one, bad idea. jackson has to be rebuilt from the ground up

16. EllisUnit

thats what i was thinking

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That said more about Pollard & Wilson than Nolan.

Nolan looked good in the preseason, against 2s & 3s.

When he got out there with the real deal, he looked like Wilson & Pollard.

18. Rey

Rey Guest

Actually he had a good game against the raiders. I thought that for essentially being a rookie he did an ok job. He wasn't a world beater, but he did ok.

And for the record I don't think our safeties were as bad as they were made out to be. Wilson had been ok in the years he was here before the past one, and Bernard was an impact player in his first year here.

I think that last years defense was just Clusterfu&@. Kareem Jackson isn't the only player who was affected by poor coaching.

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Troy Nolan did not play well for the Texans last year. Any situation in which he is starting for us is not good. He is a liability plain and simple.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

^^This^^

Yesterday Jacskon gets beaten on a double move by an UDFA , today beaten by a practice squad guy .... This isnt good news.

I just wonder who would get the nod at CB2 if its not Jackson .... is it Allen ? or one of the rookies ?!

I get the feling that Jackson will get the starting nod unless one of those others really shows well and he flat out fails. Someone is gonna have to take that job from him convincingly.

Yep .... It didn tmatter who they had back there , they all looked the same to me accept the name and number on the jersey.