Is Max Unger a reach at #15?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Mari-OWNED!, Apr 6, 2009.

?

Is Max Unger a reach at #15?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2009.
  1. Yes

85.3%
  2. No

14.7%
  1. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/max-unger?id=71493

If the Texans do not trade down do you think taking Max Unger at 15th overall is a reach?

Personally I don't think so. I think he is actually one of the safest picks for the Texans. He could play and be a starting Center AND/OR Right Guard, which is easily the two weakest positions on the Texans' offensive line. He also fits the zone blocking scheme, because they ran a variant of that at Oregon.

Also I just don't think he will be available with the Texans' 2nd round pick. (46th overall)

I just think that Unger is a sure thing and could come in and immediately change our offensive line, and I would just hate for them to pass up on such an opportunity. If they can "reach" on Duane Brown in last year's draft, what would be so bad about taking Unger, even if some people would see it as a reach?

I'm interested in your thoughts. Would you be disappointed if the Texans took Unger 15th overall?

keyser likes this.
  2. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Max Unger does have his upsides. He played in a ZBS scheme and has played Center, Guard, and Tackle and has tremendous expierences however, I don't see him being slected untill the 2nd round. The Texans IMO, are stuck at the #15 spot and NEED to trade down to grab whomever they want because no one player jumps out at me that deserves going 15th overall, also I would like us to pick up some extra picks sense we have done better drafting outside the 1st round.

3. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

I voted yes, even though Unger is the player I want most this year. I agree that he's a safe pick that will be a starter, and I don't think he'll be available at our second round pick. More than that, I think he would be a solid starter for us for a decade.

However, I still think he's a reach at #15. That is quite a bit earlier than he is expected to go (the definition of a "reach"), and is early for an interior OL in any case. If we traded down even 5 or more slots and selected him then, I'd feel much more comfortable.

If we can't trade down, I wouldn't be mad about choosing him at #15, but I wouldn't feel like we got the value we could have. So, yes, I'd be disappointed, just like I was disappointed last year at the point we took Duane Brown - not that I disliked Brown, but I disliked that we took him when we did.

4. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

I chose the wrong option.

Anywho, I would rather have Alex Mack instead of Unger.

5. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Yes I do think he's a reach at 15. Not the best guard or center in the draft, but possibly the most versatile.

Just curious Keyser who would you have taken instead of Duane Brown? Considering San Diego said they were targeting him so he likely wouldn't have been available with our second round pick. Long drop off in talent past him and we did need a LT, factoring in Salaam's injury we really would've been screwed. I think it was probably best value and about the right place for him to go.

6. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

But see that's my problem with people calling him a reach. Just because analysts say he shouldn't be taken till the late of 1st or early 2nd would mean he is a reach at 15th? Just because what they think means I'd be wrong for not agreeing with them?

I forgot who said it, but a man once said about drafting players is to not look at them as a "2nd rounder" or whatever, but to look at who can come and make a direct impact on your team and the team can benefit from this player. That's what I see from Max Unger, I see a guy that would make an instant impact on the team, I don't see him as a "2nd round draft prospect."

As for Alex Mack, he is rated the best Center in this draft, but I think Max Unger fits the Texans system better. (It's all just opinions, and I guess I don't always agree with the "analysts.")

7. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Yes he's a reach at 15 but he's the kind of reach that when you look back at it 5 yrs. from now, your glad you did it.

8. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

For me (and I've argued this in other threads), the whole concept of a "reach" comes down to smoke and mirrors. You don't know where this kid is ranked on any of the boards that really matter.

If this is your guy and you're picking at 15 and 46 and:
    1. You don't have anyone you want more at 15
    2. You don't think he's going to be there at 46
    3. You can't trade down

Then you take him whether the "experts" say it's a reach or not. Because you really don't know but some other team may value the guy the same way you do.

With that being said, I don't want Unger at 15 and frankly, I don't particularly want him at 46. I think there are going to be guys available at both spots that are going to be higher on the Texan's board.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
    Giant Tiger likes this.

9. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Thanks, these are exactly my points. Sure analysts may see it as a reach, but personally I think it could be the best way to go in certain situations.

Just curious, what players are you talking about?

10. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

I actually wanted Antoine Cason (who San Diego took next). We would have needed to take an OT later on, probably instead of Molden. If I remember, I think Anthony Collins is who I was looking at in that range (he ended up going in the 4th, so I might have ended up reaching there...).

11. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

One other comment. I looked back through the past 30 years of drafts (thanks to drafthistory.com - a cool website, by the way). Only once was there a center drafted in the top 15 picks (in 1993, at pick 14). In 19 of the 30 drafts, the first center taken was taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. Now, this year we have a strong Center class, and I expect Mack and/or Unger to go in the first (Unger is not necessarily even the first one taken!). But, that is why I would consider him a reach - he'd be taken at a point that would be before what his position (and his own individual evaluation - he's not being labeled a once-in-a-lifetime player or anything) would indicate.

Reaches aren't necessarily bad (as others have said, you take the best player you have on your board if you can't trade down). And, I really like Unger (I've posted this on other threads - I'd love to end up selecting him). But, if we do that at 15, we are not getting the "value" from that pick that we could. So, I would consider it a reach.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think that the Texan's board is going to be slanted to defense and RB prior to C/G's.

At 15 and 46, I expect the following players to be available and higher on our board:

Brian Cushing
    Clay Matthews
    Peria Jerry
    Darius Butler
    Ziggy Hood
    Alphonso Smith
    Donald Brown
    Larry English
    Robert Ayers
    Connor Barwin
    Everette Brown
    Louis Delmas
    Malcolm Jenkins
    Knowshon Moreno
    Rashad Johnson

And probably some I don't know about.

However... I will admit that I haven't been thinking offensive line in the first few rounds because I just don't think that we're going to do it. So, I haven't been looking at any of the upper rated linemen. This guy could be the BPA at the time we draft... I just don't think that's the way Smithiak sets up the board.

13. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

Well thanks for looking that up, I never realized that about Centers in the draft. I wasn't saying that I think he should definitely be the pick, I was just wondering what people would think in that scenario. Personally I am hoping for Malcolm Jenkins and/or Brian Cushing to be available at 15 if we do not trade down. Also after posting that draft history info, maybe there is a good chance at grabbing him at 46th overall. (Which I would LOVE that!)

14. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Liked Cason a lot too but I think the drop off in talent past Brown was a gaping chasm IMO. Wasn't big on the Molden pick and I do really hope he pans out to be more then a special teams ace.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I think this is a pretty good draft for centers. We could easily get a really good center in the 2nd round.

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

What would y'all think of choosing Darius Butler at #15? Obviously, the perfect scenerio would be to trade back, but I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of getting a DB in the first and Butler is cruising his way up boards lately.

He ran a 4.38 at his pro day and runs consistantly in the low 4.4's. He's 5'10" and had a combine best 43" vertical.

I understand some would consider him a reach at 15, but in this years draft, I'd go for it. Anybody else willing?

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

My newest mock has Butler going #25 to Miami, but I could see him going higher.

I feel the same way about selecting him that I do about selecting Matthews. If we want him, go get him. But if we can trade back and still get him I would prefer it.

HOU-TEX likes this.
  19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I did not vote but here are my thoughts. When you consider a player to draft, you also must look at the player he will replace. Many disagree but I thought Myer did okay. The guys I am interested in for #15 will be replacing either someone who does not belong as the starter (Raji for Travis Johnson) or the player being replaced moves to another spot (Jenkins replaces Wilson at FS and Wilson moves to CB stregthening that area). Myers coud back up center and guard, I guess if a center is selected @#15. IMO, the front line with a power back to supplement Slaton will do just fine. Our Dline with another Okoye type (Jerry) still will not stop the run. We need a NT.

20. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

He the number 2 DB IMO. I totaly agree with youre opinion about selecting him.

For those who dont think we should draft a quality C in the first consider this.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009