Is it the players or the coach???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Blake, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Blake

Blake MMQB

I read post game interviews each year, each week, after every loss and am getting confused on who the loss is on.

Players such as Chester Pitts say its not the coaches that play on the field and its their fault.

Then you have Kubiak pipe up saying it is on him and its his fault.

So whos fault is it???

2. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

its everybodys fault the hole francise sucks

3. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

Both.

4. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'll go with the coach. It's easier to replace one coach than 53 players.

Especially when a team has this many problems.

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

We don't need to replace all 53, just about 40 of them

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Kubiak can only speak in "Coach-Speak" which pretty much means that Sage Rosenfels could go out there and throw 12 interceptions and Kubiak would shuffle up to the podium, thump it a few times, stare at his feet, and then say it was on him. Then he'd call everyone in the locker room "good guys" and say that "our boys" played their tails off.

In short he's useless as a source of information.

On the other hand Chester Pitts is a big fat cream puff who does just about anything he can to keep from speaking a negative word about his coaches, teammates, or even Toro. Literally he could come home and find Toro mounting his wife doggy-style and he'd come to work the next day and tell the world that Toro was his favorite mascot in the NFL and that it was Chesters fault that his wife and Toro had hooked up.

In short he's useless as a source of information.

THe truth is that the Texans organization is sort of "poisoned" (I don't go in for the term "cursed") and so there are many levels of fault at play here. The players aren't getting it done but hey, some of them are lousy players. At the same time the coaches are a mixed bag and quite a few of them are clearly incompetent. Hoke and Smith are just lousy at what they do. Kubiak has demonstrated time and time again that he's just about clueless at clock management and in-game decisions. Shanahan Jr. calls a pretty questionable game (I mean, they ran the ball 16 times last week and only 15 times this week. WTF is that all about?). Are they bad coaches or are they trying to coach bad players? Where do these bad players come from? Rick Smith goes out and gets them and I have to assume that Gary, Rick, and whoever else is involved go to Bob McNair to get whatever over-the-hill, washed up, tub of lard they want to give a bunch of money to and then his stupid ass says "Ok, as long as he's a good family man who loves Jesus" or something along those lines.

I guess my answer is "I don't know" but this team's pretty screwed up IMO.

RTP2110 likes this.
  7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

no commitment to running the ball so the pass is not expected or neccesary every damn time. I'm going to lay the brunt of my expectations on Gibbs who selected his tackle in the 1st then Slaton in the 3rd yet does not run anything close to what I would expect from a ZBS. there are no cutback lanes, the blocking is defused @ the line of scrimmage & its pass first run second.

in a nutshell the running game has been very disapointing- all around :foottap:

8. Mr. White

Then that's on the coach too. He's had 3 years to get his guys on the roster.

If he can't get them to produce, then that's a coaching issue.

9. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

It's MY FAULT. When we had a first down and goal on the one yard line and instead of ramming the ball into the endzone Kubiak calls a pass play for Mr. Interception I should have immediately left the owner's box, grabbed the nearest security guard, and marched down to the field and ripped the headset off Kubiak and fired him on the spot. Instead, I sat there and gabbed with George and Barb.

My bad.

10. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Count me out of the swap-coaches-every-3-yrs-just-so-we-can-start-aaaall-over-again crowd.

It took Tom Landry 5 full years to get a .500 season.

you show me a coach that had success in his first 2-3 yrs and I'll show you a team that already had a good foundation when he got there.

....I'll wait.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  11. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

MIA was a one big, lucky play from being 0-16 last year.... ATL was a mess when Mike Smith got there as well.

12. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

I agree with you in principle. However, when the coach is in his third year and is completely inept how many years do you wait? In the first year you think maybe he will learn. By the time he has over 40 behind him and the players are completely unprepared to play, completely unaware of any common sense rules of football (don't catch a punt on the 4, don't run over a receiver in the endzone when you can pull up, don't run the stupid plays your coach sends in, don't throw the ball to Ray Lewis) then that coach will never learn.

While I don't want to start over every 3 years, I also don't want to hang on the coaching equivalent of Matt Millen for however many years the Lions kept Millen.

13. Blake

Blake MMQB

Also the team that just smashed us was 5-11, got a new HC and a rookie QB and they can put together an impressive win.

We have a 3rd year HC, 2nd year vet QB and can only beat teams that are worse than us this year.

My question would be, why can other teams turn their record around in 1 year and we are stuck in the cellar year after year?

We've tried a seasoned HC, but with a new franchise he couldn't make it work.

We've tried an "up and coming" rookie HC who can't get the job done.

Maybe we should think about getting a seasoned HC and give him a team that has 7-8 years under their belt.

Or we could just stand behind Kubiak and pray that he does something to turn this franchise around.

14. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

This is not the same league as when Tom Landry was coaching. Free Agency, a salary cap, and a 7 round draft for starters. If you can't get it turned around faster than 3yrs in todays game you won't be around to turn it around.

15. Mr. White

And it took Jimmy Johnson 4 years to win a Super Bowl.

That line of thinking worked 40 years ago. Nowadays it just doesn't wash. Job security in the NFL ain't what it used to be.

If you hire a coach that can't keep showing improvement every year after completely tearing down the old regime, then you're going to get passed up by the teams that do improve.

Runner likes this.
  16. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

There was no cap and limited free agency when JJ turned around the evil empire. Its not easy to find a team to trade 13 players for 1 either. That helped the rebuilding more than anyone wants to remember.

17. Mr. White

I knew someone would jump on this.

The fact is that it's the same logic as "it took tom Landry 5 years to get to .500."

It's just as irrelevant.

18. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

Just because the turnover for coaches is high in the NFL doesn't make it right. Jeff Fisher's first 5 seasons had 1,7,8,8,and 8 wins. I remember thinking some of his playcalling was fairly boneheaded the first few years. Things look a lot worse when your team is bad and fingers start pointing everywhere. The only way we're going to get some sort of consistency is to have a coach that sticks around longer than 3 years before we keep dismantling and rebuilding from scratch. It's frustrating to watch, but the end product is getting better.

Our offense is still moving the ball, unlike the prior regime. We get 300+ yards a game on one of the best defenses in the league. The problem is both our QBs turn it over especially when we're about to score. It seems to me that Kubiak did what he was brought here to do. He kick started our offense, we just need to find a QB who won't cough it up and the points'll start coming.

dc_txtech likes this.
  19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

I think the ownership is the problem and it goes from their on down.

McNair doesn't know a damn thing about football except it makes him money

20. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Yes.