Is it me or.... (Faggins)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by UberDork, Oct 22, 2006.

1. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

Did Faggins make a big difference in the secondary?

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I think he forced a fumble :bananasplit:

3. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, he managed to change my avatar for now. I think Buchannon must've really been stinking it up at corner.

4. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

It was refreshing. Dunta's game was much better too...

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Scott was in for Earl also.
    (not sure what happened to Earl assuming injury)

6. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I saw Scott make several good plays. I mean nothing great, but considering I didn't know he existed until today. :)

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Ya' think?

Yeah, he proved that he's worthy of starting: While making the tackle, he had the "big play" thought on his mind and he was going after the ball.

I noticed the entire defense stepped it up after that. How many passes did we bat down against Byron Sandwich toward the end of the game? A bunch of passes were knocked down--And I remember screaming at my TV all season long for our d line to...."Put your hands up! You ain't gettin' to the Qb, so try to bat it down!." Finally they played SMART.

The defense was just a different unit out there with Faggins helping Dunat to shut down the WRs.

8. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Ya Earl was out with a stained nexk, Scott looked good to me.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

exactly

10. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Leftwhich definately helped us out today, missed a few open receivers and such, and his windmill delivery lets linemen knock more balls down. Anyway, great play from the D today, continued the first half dominance against the Cowboys. Now the question is, can we keep this up? Three straight road gams coming up, we better bring the D.

11. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

Yeah and their receivers had quite a few drops, but there were a lot of plays where the CBs were right on the receivers...

I don't remember seeing hardly any of that prior to today....i.e. both CBs had their guys covered...some semblance of balance of skill in the secondary can do wonders...

12. Doug

Doug All Pro

You have Wong, Faggins, and Peek back and add Scott, Simmons with everyone else stepping up and that D was lethal. I hope we can do that from here on out.

13. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

I liked what I saw from Simmons today more than Scott but Peek and Faggins were great contributors today. What a great difference they make.

14. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

IMO, there were several players that were key today in our good defensive play.

Peek made a huge difference at DE. Peek, Mario, and Kalu were getting consistent pressure on the QB and Peek made a big play stripping the ball from Taylor. As always, D. Ryans was all over the field.

Our secondary looked a lot better b/c Faggins played very good. He may not be a shutdown corner and may allow receivers to periodically catch the ball, but what I love is the fact that he is always looking for the ball and trying to make a play. If the receiver catches the ball, the play is not over...you should continue to give maximum effort and try to make a play.

So many times this season PBurnt and Sanders had great coverage on their receiver, but still gave up the play b/c they would not look for the ball or get their hands up to bat the ball down. Faggins did those things today and no one else has up to this point.

This makes me extremely happy b/c if Faggins can be as productive as he was today after being out of game action so long, I can only believe that he will continue to improve and make an impact throughout the season. The entire defense did a good job today.

15. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

On the other hand, Sanders had a horrible game today. Leftwich picked on him a lot and he had that pass interfernce on third down on an overthrown ball in the end zone. I still look for us to pick up a CB in the first round.

16. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I was not a Faggans fan last year, but he's much better than Sanders/McCleon. He looked solid today and he did get the strip on Williams/Wilfork that Greenwood (IIRC) recovered.

It was also great to have Wong and Peek back.

17. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Teams have been targeting Sanders all year (see T.O.'s TDs in Dallas.)

18. Tayton

Tayton Veteran

Got pressure on an overrated QB. Our secondary played pretty much like it had throughout the year. Trust me I watched them closely.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Agreed! He looked horrible often today.

20. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

That is the same secondary (exception... Sanders and Earl) that made Brunell look like Joe Montana. I dont care how much you looked... they played better today. Whether it was due to us getting key players back off of injuries or for some other reason is yet to be determined.

They played better today. Dunta played better today. Leftwich played terrible but oh well.... take advantage when you can.