Is it Grade the Draft time?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Apr 27, 2019.

1. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

SteelB, my heart goes out to you and your family. Prayers are going up for your Mother in Law.

It kind of helps put the Texans issues in perspective. I'll still disagree at times with your perspective on the team...and agree with your perspective at other times. But I will always be respectful.

zshawn10 and steelbtexan like this.
  2. HaveMercy

To be open-minded, I've got to admit you may be right. Only time will tell whether Gaine has what it takes to be shrewdly aggressive, picking his spots correctly. For now, I choose to be optimistic and maintain hopeful trust in his research and judgement.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    steelbtexan likes this.
  3. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Nope. It’s just you made a strong statement that you’ve been giving mgmt advice for nine years and I simply implied maybe they aren’t listening.

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Of course they dont listen to their fanbase on player acquisitions. After the last 17 yrs, maybe hey should. (LOL) What they've been doing certainly hasn't worked. But it has made them alot of $$$$. So I guess they've been really successful when you look at things thru this lens.

HaveMercy and OptimisticTexan like this.
  5. HaveMercy

The relative lack of new information to kick around means one thing: be patient, it's coming.

6. HaveMercy

Or, if we get too bored in the meantime, we can just make things up.

I'm trying to think of a fresh thread that will give us something to do.

7. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...jaff&cjevent=db385eb375c611e9818400180a1c0e13

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan and HaveMercy like this.
  9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Not bad for a guy who thought he was going to be a TE just three years earlier, & a QB before that.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Finally my early grade for Texan 2019 NFL Draft - C

Can’t be scared to trade down thinking another team will steal your pick, that usually happens when you stay where your at. Maybe Gaine didn’t get an offer he couldn’t refuse but still extra picks, maybe even Atlanta, were there to be had, reassess your board and keep trade options on the table. Upgrades available for OL well into round three and you still have two 2nds. Anyway what’s done is done, OL was upgraded.

1-23 Howard, possible Franchise LT, certainly day one starter and elite RT with his athleticism and run blocking. Even though I feel Texans could have selected him if they traded down a few picks they get credit for getting their guy to address biggest need.

B+

2-22 Lonnie Johnson is a big, smooth DB that needs developmental time. Will see field in supporting role unless injury dictates otherwise. Oddly enough his biggest contribution as a rookie could be his pass rushing ability.

C

2-23 Max Scharping T/G versatility and work ethic, Texans got another tackle who could win out opening day LG next to Davenport really helping enforce left side and interior of pocket from breaking down. Strategy of not trading down and having more 2nd day picks again forced Gaine hand because Max would not make it to 3rd rd without then trading up.
    B

3-23 Kahale Warring, TE, sure seems risky, given his lack of actual football coaching and playing experience. This has to be new offensive coordinator and former Texan TE coach Tim Kelly pick so he is putting everything on the line for Kahale.
    C-

5-23 Charles Omenihu, DE, is appropriate round to start taking best player regardless of position and 5 technique is really good value here. Still long term addition anything else would be gravy. Tape is inconsistent with flashes of sack savvy but excelled more in run containment and tackles for loss.
    B

6-23 Xavier Crawford, DB, quick, twitchy slot corner who could get some looks outside. Plays bigger than frame suggests, not afraid to tackle. Will see the field in max protection, has discipline to cover assignments and good enough speed and vertical athletic ability to compete for the ball.
    B

7-06 Cullen Gillaspia, RB/LB, positional change, undersized with limited athletic skills who would have went undrafted. Hard to ***** about a 7th busting so isn’t there a better case to be made for using them to trade up as part of packages to get a player who can crack the 53 and make an impact? Don’t hate the person or player just wasting picks and leveraging everything you can to really improve this roster.
    F

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 7:40 PM

11. HaveMercy

My gut feel is that this draft will eventually look like a B or B+. Eventually.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

A fair grade, although I like Scharping/Omenihu alot more than you do.

If they hit on Howard/Scharping then the grade should be upgraded to an A. IMHO

13. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

This is an early grade not based on what happens in 2 or 3 years.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 1:27 AM
    steelbtexan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  14. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

1. Grade the draft on paper.
    2. Grade the draft on short term (1st year) results.
    3. Grade the draft on long term (2-3 years) results.

steelbtexan and HaveMercy like this.
  15. HaveMercy

How can you even suggest such a thing? Don't you know that even before the draft, the Texans grade was a prejudged failure? That EVERYONE knew (or should have known) that Kirby Incompetence ALWAYS rules the day?

Just joking, guys. A bit of Saturday morning hyperbole for those who love their Negative Nancy glasses.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

You will only hear the accolades of his pass blocking PFF grades...........PFF has said that his team did not run the ball enough to give him a run blocking grade. To me, the PFF numbers on Dillard mean very little if anything. It's a system produced number.

JB likes this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed

But Dillard has elite athletic traits and the Eagles thought enough of those traits to trade up and make Dillard their LT of the future. The future probably will be next yr given what you've recited about Peters injury history looks like.

This is what successful teams do Texans fans, they plan for the future without a drop off in play at certain positions. QB/LT/Edge/CB

18. CloakNNNdagger

We aren't talking about the past, we are talking about Dillard vs Howard re. readiness for week 1 for this team. And there is nothing at this point to point convincingly to the fact that Dillard would be any better prepared to hold down an NFL/Texans LT position week 1. It is now appropriate to stop beating a dead horse.........Dillard is not a Texan.............and let things play out before wasting so much energy into something that no longer matters.

maverick512000, Texansballer74 and JB like this.
  19. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Other than a wealth of game tape against higher competition.

20. CloakNNNdagger

I'm sure that consoled many teams that picked up "can't lose" LTs that lost.

Dillard will be walking into a different world when he steps into the NFL world.

Cats Stats: Washington State’s pass-heavy offense presents unique test for Arizona defense
    The offense the Arizona Wildcats will face Saturday night is unlike any other.

No one passes the ball more than Washington State. Others use principles of the “Air Raid” attack. Mike Leach’s Cougars run it in its purest form.

The offense is such an outlier that preparing to face WSU is akin to prepping for a triple-option attack — except that the run-pass ratios are reversed.

Just how extreme is Washington State’s offense? And why is it so effective? Here are some of the key numbers:

THE REST OF THE STORY

Attached Files: