Is it Grade the Draft time?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Apr 27, 2019.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Taamu (SP?) is the perfect example of who you're talking about.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Been there, done that. We've had arguably the best defense in the NFL. We've had one of the best OLs in the league.

I'm hopeful BG brings something that will last. But what we've seen so far... we're jaded, for a reason. We need to see it. May not be good enough until we get past the Divisional round of the playoffs.

3. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Problem is we always have had major problems when key players got hurt. No backup depth. Probably helped lead to all the anguish around here. Seems BG is trying to stock up with similar bodied players, versatile ones, to smooth out the consistency sine curve. Plug and play. Anyway it’s worth watching. If I seem optimistic it’s just my approach to life. Gotta keep smiling instead of bitching because it’s gonna be more fun when it starts getting better.

HaveMercy and Texansphan like this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

What makes you think it will get better?

Ownership is the same and you should be questioning how bad ownership wants to win.

5. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Agreed.
    It's gonna take time and its already a constant stocktake as it is.
    It's not like we are allowed to spend 500 million to instantly install all necessary pieces including quality depth.

6. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Short answer is of course they want to win. For no other reason than to “win one for the Gipper” now that he is gone. I personally don’t believe they are obstructing BG in any manner and will hang onto his coattails to become more NFL knowledgeable. Makes more sense than thinking that they are just sitting around lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills.

dream_team, HaveMercy and CWTexansFan like this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Are you saying that Call has a burning desire to bring a Lombardi to Kirby?

History says that the McNair's are more like Bud than DeBartolo.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

So you like the passive nature of the Texans org?

beerlover likes this.
  10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Let’s just call it for what it was, novice work. When we all know the draft is a fluid process you have to be flexible, opportunistic, and not isolated from your competition. I have no idea how they formulated a draft board that is so out of alignment with general consensus. March to the beat of a different drum, our scouts are just better, whatever, not trading up to get your target and missing opportunity to trade down for more targets is how a franchise slips back into mediocrity.

Last edited: May 11, 2019

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I've been saying this since 2010

It's the reason I give the Texans org a hard time.

beerlover likes this.
  12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Might as well start from the beginning, 2002. One constant, Ownership!

steelbtexan likes this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yet over the yrs fans continue to live in denial, they even defend the way ownership does business.

I'm going to guess most of them haven't spent a nickel going to a game.

14. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

They didn't move up for Dillard and a lot of folks will agree that they were passive novices.

I'm not in agreement. I think BG was being wise, not passive. I think BG was smart not to over pay for any of the fair to middling free agents. I also think he was smart to not get in a bidding war for 1.22. He valued Howard at 1.23 enough to keep whatever later pick or picks moving up would have cost. None of us can REALLY say that was right or wrong until a lot more water goes under that bridge.

I have a good feeling that BG will be aggressive when the time and opportunity is right and that Cal will back him.

Plenty of teams have been foolishly aggressive and have been much the worse for it. I don't want Gaine to be a wild eyed riverboat gambler. That kind of GM might win some, but he'll lose more.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  15. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Yawn

16. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

Disagree, disagree, disagree. Did I say I disagree?

Being aggressive for the sake of being aggressive is fools work. Gaine is nobody's fool.

I want Gaine to be SHREWDLY aggressive, WISELY aggressive, Smarter-than-the-Next-Guy aggressive. I really dislike using the Patriots as an example, but there you have it, a great example on and off the field of being SHREWDLY aggressive. Yes, the Patriots misfire at times, but it's hard to call them foolish.

We can pretend we know the Texans management team wanted this or that (or should have wanted this or that) but were too scared in the moment to pull the trigger.

However, it may be that they were too shrewd to pull the trigger. We will never know what swaps were available at what cost and we will never know exactly how the Texans' board looked compared to other boards.

I am inclined to give Gaine et al the benefit of the doubt. They have more and better information than this MB. This isn't the old management team.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    CWTexansFan likes this.
  17. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

I believe if I’ve been telling someone something for nine years and they didn’t listen I’d try another approach...but that’s just me.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Great advice for an amatuer psychologist. Where do I send a check.

Or tell you what, how about you stop giving me life advice. I'm pretty happy with the way life is right now. (Minus my mother in law having open heart surgery on Monday.)

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I will take that as a no.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would agree with you if Gaine was aggressive in FA and had made even one draft day trade.