Is it Grade the Draft time?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TripleTap, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

I’m pretty sure big money will be spent at the right time with the right player(s). Give this thing time to develop. With a plan you can throw out things that don’t work and keep the parts that do, but to stay on track for constant improvement we have to have this set of instructions first.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

While I wouldn't call them children, instant gratification does seem to define the 'now generation'. As I've said many times in the past

Texas Jake and CWTexansFan like this.
  3. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

He wants every phase better. Last year ST was just a raised floor. Their is no ceiling with BG, he said as much in a recent Chronicle article. To prove it he drafted a ST demon and I believe brought in a veteran punter for an interview recently. I believe even Fairbairn could be upgraded. Misses too many extra points for me. Also look how our weight room and strength and conditioning programs have been improved...even getting bigger bodies to put in it.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

What makes you think this?

History says they haven't done this before. Exclusions JoJo

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

And yet the every WR on the team had hamstring issues.

I will give Gaine this, there's a new S&C guy because of these issues, so he cuts bait on mistakes and moves on quickly. Something that was certainly lacking in the previous regime.

6. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

What makes you think BG was part of that history?

CWTexansFan and cuppacoffee like this.
  7. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

IMO, that's one of those better be careful what you hope for type things. Who is to say any new owner would be better than the family we now have? Things could get worse, not better.

A bunch of teams have owners we wouldn't want. Plus, can you imagine how rich someone would have to be to afford the Texans by then? Anyone paying that much would really be looking to squeeze some profit, I reckon. And, anyone in that financial position would have NO feel for us, the fans.

So, I'd like to see Cal have a real chance to be his own man before we start hoping for new ownership.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    CWTexansFan likes this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

How many yrs has he been with the org?

This is an ownership directive

9. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Yawn.

10. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

What drastic change did those players make? The secondary was still sizzling dumpster juice. The oline was still diarrhea.

Watson healthy and a weak schedule is what helped this team to the beautiful record of 11-5.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would rather take my chances than be stuck in mediocrity with Cletus and I am willing to pay more if it means the McNair era is history.

Do the McNair's know what the fans want? To them giving the fans tailgating/beer/BBQ are enough because that's enough to keep NRG full regardless of the product they put on the field.

You're right, there are worse owners #Glazers. But there are a bunch of better owners. Every year the McNair's own the team you can expect more of what we've seen over the last 17 years.

12. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

Not having a pick until the third round all but reminds us of this inherited nightmare in his first year. Im thinking Coffee may have been referring to the S and ST positions? Badger and Reid were pretty good additions and the ST’s were definitely improved.

13. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

The draft is an entity in its self. You absolutely can grade a draft immediately after. The entire draft is a crapshoot with fading odds the later you go. The good GMs know this and not only do their best to acquire as many picks as possible for this year but also look to stock future drafts as well when possible.

This idea that you have to wait three years to grade a draft is silly. The eventual outcome isn’t what makes a draft grade. You can say a draft was successful if players end up panning out sure. But all players come with risk and reward factors.

Just because a GM picks a high risk player and he works out doesn’t mean it was a smart choice. There are to many variables that factor in on that players success. Coaching, scheme, atmosphere, compatibility with other players, Health, luck and many more.

If I spend my last dollar on a lottery ticket and it hits does that make me smart? Does that mean I made a good decision? No! The draft should be approached as a asset accumulation process. Every pick has a value. Value drops as you go according to players available and their perceived talent, physical ability, personality, intelligence, experience and many other factors.

This was a poor draft in that the players taken at the positions taken weren’t valued (IMO) according to my perceived value of the pick because of other players that were available who had more value. Again that’s MY perspective.

I would never reach for need as a GM. BPA or trade down and acquire more talent and give yourself more chances to hit. It’s that simple. If you end up with to much talent at a position you can use one of the players for trade for a player at a need position or more draft picks

All players are projects but some more than others. The less risk you take the more chance you have at hitting. Every player should have a success probability rating. That’s your board. Stick to it for the best chance to win.

JMO after watching the draft for decades.

steelbtexan, 76Texan and thunderkyss like this.
  14. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

I
    I’d love to see us drafting more QB’s in the later rounds to put on a PS to develop for trade or backup at some point. It’s the best position for trade value and the most important position on any team but the Texans haven’t put much stock in that idea.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

You're right. You're right.

But if you were here the first couple of times "We might be doing so now..." you'd understand where some of our friends are coming from.

King's new clothes... the more things change... & all that.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would rather take my chances than be stuck in mediocrity with Cletus and I am willing to pay more if it means the McNair era is history.

Do the McNair's know what the fans want? To them giving the fans tailgating/beer/BBQ are enough because that's enough to keep NRG full regardless of the product they put on the field.

You're right, there are worse owners #Glazers. But there are a bunch of better owners. Every year the McNair's own the team you can expect more of what we've seen over the last 17 years.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I agree with you.

However, in this case, all the "first round" graded guys falling out of the first, Atlanta trading up to take a 2nd lineman who also was not Taylor...

I think the mocks & player rankings were off & can't say if the Texans should have traded down or not. Would Atlanta have taken Howard if he was there?

I don't know.

HaveMercy, Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Unless it’s a franchise elite type player I don’t care. I’ll take the chance and play the draft for best value.

19. Dejaview

Dejaview Rookie

I understand the frustration. I go back to the first years of the Oilers. So I’m pretty qualified to believe what I’m seeing now ain’t what we’ve seen the past few years of the Texans. BG is a freakin open book explaining his strategy and I’m onboard. Remember all the complaints on this board (yep, I’ve read this board for awhile) regarding how soft our D was and our OL was “finesse” and undersized? He’s out to change all that. Will be nice to see the Texans trying to develop a little badass stigma and impose their will like a Pittsburg or develop a bulldozer OL like Dallas had recently. At least for me, finally, the Texans are talking about it in serious tones. And it is also clear that no player or coach can ever get too comfortable and complacent like times past.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    HaveMercy and CWTexansFan like this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hope you're right.

They are making an effort.