Is Houston too hard on QB's ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by axman40, Dec 20, 2006.

1. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Is Houston too hard on the QB?I have been a fan of Houston's NFL teams since the early70's. I recall Pastorini being called Pass da Weenie! I was a season tickect holder the first 3 years Moon signed in Houston. I had to endure many Sunday's with N-bombs and some guy who thought himself clever by replcing the m in Moon and replacing it with a C. I am sure Moon did not find that funny!
    So where does that put Carr and the response he is receiving now?Is Carr the main short coming of this offense? Which came first the chicken or the egg? If a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound? What say you?
    :shades:

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Whatever happens in Houston multiply by 5 and you have the east coast .

3. TexansFan99

TexansFan99 Rookie

I lived in NY and Philly...those "fans" are hard on the QBs. Carr wouldn't have last this long there.

4. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Every place claims to be worse than the other. Bottom line is that if you don't produce, then the fans are hard on you.

QB just seems to be the most notable, highly visible position. Otherwise, Dunta should be picked on for not stepping up as a leader (Why did DeMeco have such an easy time falling into the leader of the defense? Should he have had to wrestle that away from D-Rob? I think so.) and why don't we continually pick on Faggins and Brown for making the same mistakes. Treat no one any different than anyone else is what I say.

5. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

If anything, we've been too easy on Carr. In any other city he would have been benched for good last year. And now after 5 years of failure we're talking about giving him 2 more seasons to prove himself?

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Every fan base that has questionable quarterbacking evokes this kind of drama. Long time football fans know that while you don't need a great QB to be a great team, the position that makes the most impact on a team is the quarterback. A half a decade into a QB's career the best anyone can say is that they believe in Carr's potential. No problem with that, but tell me, why are you paying a premium price for spec? The first contract is based on speculation and the out in the contract was built in for a reason. The average career of an NFL player is nearly 5 years. How many careers does it take to make a decision about your quarterback? NFL teams have to make decisions about how you pay for play quicker and more intuitively than this. After his first 3 years Bob McNair had to go out and pay $300k to Reeves to convince him that he should keep Carr despite all the red flags. Why pay Reeves? Because Casserly already ruined your franchise start with such bad judgment. Fans can also see that when Tony Banks and Sage Rosenfels was in the game we actually had an intermediate passing game despite the fact that they are both NFL journeymen. I think the fans are more frustrated at management than they are at Carr. Carr just takes the brunt of it. Who of us wouldn't have singed an extension to extend our payday to 60 million dollars for largely mediocre play over the first 3 seasons?

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Sign me up ASAP!!

8. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

And immediate...That's some SERIOUS points to ponder. :hmmm:

9. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

i know you listen to some philly fans some of them are giving up on mcnabb because of his recent injuries and he's a playmaker i can only wonder if they had a useless david carr as the QB they would probable have a hit out on him.:stirpot:

10. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Ya'll are right. Sage Rosenfels would have put AJ, Moulds and Daniels into the Pro Bowl with his passing expertise. Oh, and since QBs control the defense, DeMeco would have beaten out Zach Thomas as well.

:loser

11. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

I think 5 years is more than enough trial time for a QB on any given team. No one (Carr or the fans) would have any sore feelings about moving in a new direction.

Would Vince have been given 5 years to prove himself... for some reason I don't think so... I like Carr, but he has had plenty of chances here. It would be best for both to part ways. That being said, if he stays - I hope he plays well for the Texans.

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I can understand the F.O.'s decision to keep Carr.. I mean you have a new Coach coming in with a new staff.. the last thing you want to do is pile on a quarterback controversy to really make things chaotic.

But they shouldnt have given him the extension. Should have signed him to a new contract..one that was a bit more reasonable. On the other hand, if they had done that it would have undercut his confidence. I know people will scoff at that comment, but its true. They are/were trying to build him back up.. and its kinda hard to say "You are the guy, we can make this happen with you if you work hard, we have faith in you!... now.. how about we sign you to a 1 year contract instead of that nasty old extension".

13. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

We could of let him hit free agency and got david for about 800,000 i was never againts keeping carr but just not to that awfull bonus we could of had him or pennies on the dollars.:tearup:

14. dbspi

dbspi Veteran

Carr is not the right quarterback for the Texans and we need to find our future quarterback this off season.

15. TexansFan99

TexansFan99 Rookie

We are pretty tolerant here in Houston.....5 years of a mediocre QB and we are wondering if we are being too hard on him...Throw da bum out!

16. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

We would have had a hard time re-signing Carr if we had let him become a free agent.

Dont let the attitude here in our forums fool you, Carr was still (and really IS still) looked at as a promising young QB. He would have gotten a lot of offers, and it would have been hard to convince him to come back to the place where he broke the sack record.

17. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

According to my friends in other cities... Houston fans are fair weathered and ignorant.

18. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Fair weather I can see but I have to disagree with ignorant.

:fans:

19. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

back to topic....

I'm old enough to remember fans griping about Pastorini's love for the long bomb, and never throwing short stuff. Seems like we have just the opposite situation now.

Anyways, I doubt there's an NFL QB that doesn't know how hard the job will be coming in to it.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I donno if you are remembering that right. Dan threw 57 passes to running back Fred Willis in 1973 (I remember Fred was productive cause I had a 44 Oilers jersey) :). Dan took heat but I don't remember that as a knock specifically. In the 70's the long ball was in fashion and you could beat up the wr's all over the field so it was certainly a different game...but Pastorini did take a ton of abuse. He once called the Houston fans "fickle"