Is Deshaun Watson Russell Wilson 2.0?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Chris, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I believe Watson will mature into a top 5 QB. Another couple of seasons under his belt will do him wonders.
    He has already shown plenty of flashes - now he just needs to work on those areas that are getting him into trouble.

steelbtexan and TheKDog like this.
  2. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

Id agree with this... PROVIDED they can protect him.

IF they dont protect him, I feel that he will pick up too many bad habits to ever live up to that potential.

3. DanielTx

DanielTx Rookie

I remember in 2017. A lot of fans were mad about trading our picka to get him. They said “he isn’t accurate enough and he has a weak arm”. Fast forward to this day and he’s one of the most accurate deep ball throwers. They call him the Mj of football for a reason. I’m glad baker and kyler are getting all the hyped. Takes pressure off our qb and makes him more hungry.

Texansballer74 and Mangler like this.
  4. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Since this season is expected to be absolute sh1t for us, I would love to see Watson work on his short and intermediate passing game for the majority of the season. Work on first downing opponents to death. I know it sounds crazy/stupid, but he should use a season to work on being a more well rounded QB. We know he’s damn near magical outside the pocket, but with our offensive line being such a mess, the last thing I’d want is for him to go down with another season ending injury. Especially with those long developing routes his delusional HC calls, as if he had this All-World O-line.

CWTexansFan and Texansballer74 like this.
  5. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

He’s got the right QB coach. New OC also. These developments may be more important than the limited time given to them on this MB.

CWTexansFan and Texansphan like this.
  6. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

People do realize that part of the reason he holds on to the ball so long is that there always has to be max protect and there’s only 2 receivers in the pattern, right? Or the patterns themselves are pathetic. That’s not all on Watson.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

That''s a catch-22...as a rookie Watson was getting rid of the ball very quickly and made a worse OL look better than it was without the max protect but last year it switched around. Terrible OL (not as bad as 2017) and max protect led to 62 sacks, Watson had part of that as did OB

Mr teX, CWTexansFan and Texansphan like this.
  8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

When you give up as many sacks as we did last year everyone involved shares the blame. Offensive line, Deshaun Watson, position coaches, head coach, and front office. They all had a part in the abysmal sack numbers last season.

9. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Right, right. Not saying Watson doesn't share some of the blame, but let's not act like whatever percentage of the 62 sacks were because he holds the ball too long, and dismiss why he's holding onto the ball for so long.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

True the routes were terrible for the most part, but he usually had a check down open that he passed up wanting more

11. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Well frankly I’m kinda glad he’s looking for more and not turning into Mr. Check Down. Not saying that I’d rather see a sack than a check down, but I always want him looking to make a big play. And some rollouts wouldn’t hurt in helping eliminate some sacks either.

12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Exactly. Big plays are good. See KC. O'Brien is beating them out of him.

13. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Lol me too but we know Watson likes the homerun passes. I believe if he wants to stay upright, the dink and donk game is the way to go.

steelbtexan likes this.
  14. HouTx11

HouTx11 All Pro

No. Deshaun Watson is Deshaun Watson, for better or for worse.

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  15. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/qb-grid/houston-texans/2018/week

[​IMG]

I think Deshaun needs to keep the timing of plays at the forefront of his progressions, throwing away the ball instead of taking a sack looking for the big play comes with experience. Im not too concerned with his ball location, velocity, lift, angle or any or that other stuff. He's shown he can make any throw, now its taking the offense and perfecting it. Main thing I would like to see is a more creative route tree. Im hoping all the bubble screen, LOS stuff is gone this year. More bunch formation, rubs, PICKS!! (yea I said it, every other team is using them, we should too- they cant call all of them!), and to your point maybe some more compound intermediate route running? having two guys streaking across formations?

Offensive line has been pathetic two years in a row and Watson has still flourished. If he can limit the coverage sacks and bad throws he could be a very special player, AND THATS ALL BEFORE YOU START TALKING ABOUT HIS LEGS!

Us old coots can now stop complaining about QB for a few years and ***** and complain about other stuff .. Me? Clowney and the offensive line debacle. Whoop! Whoop!

steelbtexan and Mr teX like this.
  16. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Veteran

I think Watson took a lot of sacks to prevent throwing interceptions, which led to us winning more games. How many picks did he throw this last year? Not a lot?

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

I figure with all the heat that Watson has taken for "not calling an audible", or "not changing things at the line of scrimmage", here's the (color me shocked) actuality.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/05/deshaun-watson-has-more-on-his-plate-this-year/

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This could also happen.

Look at Carr as a prime example, it's like the Texans didn't learn a damn thing from ruining Carr by not protecting him.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Watson will be better now that he has WFV/Coutee back and has had a full HEALTHY offseason to work on his craft. This is with an OL that will probably still suck.

CWTexansFan and Mr teX like this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The routes weren't bad when Hopkins/WFV/Coutee were running them.

V. Smith/Carter not so much.

NastyNate, CWTexansFan and Mr teX like this.