Is DE a possibility at 1?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Spled, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Spled

Spled All Pro

Guys like Morgan, Graham, Odrick or Griffen and then DB at 2 and a third on a running back to join Slaton, Foster and Moats for a committee of running backs.

2. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Nope

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

Never say never, but we have Mario, Smith, drafted Barwin, and resigned Bullman. Why would we draft a DE with our first round pick?

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I would think if they take a defensive lineman in the first round it would be a tackle, not and end. We need a good tackle a heck of a lot more than we do another DE.

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Yes sir, I could live with a DT.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I could see DT. DE, no.

7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

It should be. Who cares what we have spent on the position? We suck at getting to the QB.

We know we are going to score a bunch of points. We need a defense that can get after the QB to keep teams from keeping up with us. It doesnt matter if we put an all pro at CB if he has to cover WR's for too long. This is a passing leauge and the rules are set up to give the passing game the advantage.

If we can find an OLB that is good in coverage and is good at blitzing (Weatherspoon) or a DE (Graham) that is exceptional at getting to the QB, we would be crazy not to consider them.

8. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Agreed. Barwin isn't Hacksaw Reynolds yet. But I liked everything he did last year. They have a very nice rotation with Antonio Smith and Barwin. You gotta give the raw guys a chance to grow. As long as Cushing is healthy all the pieces fit. Ordrick would give them unbelievable scheme flexibility, but you can't have everything. As you post never say never, but I doubt De is on the menu at the twenty.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

DE or DT shouldn't be on the list at #1.

Let's see: a #1 overall pick, a #10 pick, we just jettisoned a former first rounder last fall, signed Smith to a big contract, and drafted a very raw DE last year at #2. Yet we're still struggling along the line despite such a heavy investment in it.

I think it's time we look to other positions that have given us better results.

10. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Because we are the Houston Texans and pissing off our fans on draft day is what we do best.

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I agree but I also think that is why DE could still be a possibility in round 1. If there were a stud, guaranteed 10-12 sacks a year DE, you gotta pick him up. There is still some good quality DBs in the second and third, and DT (to me) has greater value in the 4th round and beyond.

12. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

With as many needs as we have, we are definitely not taking a DE.

13. krocket

krocket Rookie

With all due respect, we have pass rushers but we lack a DT that can collapse the pocket and command a double team so that those pass rushers can do their thing.