Is David Carr all that bad?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sam_24, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Sam_24

Sam_24 Rookie

Is David Carr really all that bad? Rumors all over Denver is that Gary Kubiak might elect to take quarterback Jake Plummer with him to Texas. Being that Jake already knows Gary's offense so well he could start for a year or two while Vince Young or Matt Leinart are being groomed.
    Jake has grown up alot in Denver, he has alot to offer but I think Shanahan might elect to go in another direction other than that of the snake.
    David Carr in my mind is not bad at all but unlike Jake he doesnt know Garys offense at all, being that Mcnair wants to win now. Gary might want someone whos know his style of play while he prepares a younger talented QB.

2. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

David Carr isn't bad. If he had an o-line he would b good. He gets way 2 much preasure on him and not a lot of time 2 throw. Mayb if we sign plummer we can trade him 2 the cheifs 4 some people since Trent Green is getting old. :rolleyes: He would do great in KC with their o-line i bet.

GO TEXANS!!!!!! :gotexans1 :wherewill :fans:

3. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Taking Jake with in my opinion would be suicide. With a lack of production at offensive line, you need a scrambling quarterback. Jake does not fit that mold whatsoever.
    I'd rather test my water with Carr.

4. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I don't see this happening. Any source for the flying rumors? BTW, anyone else remember the last time a QB named "Snake" came to Houston?

5. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

The better question would be "Is the o-line that bad?".

If Jake came to Houston the Colorado hippies would have nobody to root for...not going to happen.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Don't believe the hype about the hype.

7. Overalls

Overalls Hall of Fame

Houston sports has already had its ties to a snake, Stabler that is.

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Just another thinly disguised how to draft VY proposal.

9. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

Welcome to the board, you should fit in just fine here. Generally, there are three camps regarding David Carr:

(1) David Carr sucks, and I do mean, sucks like no one else. He is quite possibly the worst quarterback in the league, and we have his pretty boy looks, his "homer" fans, and his complete and total lack of anything resembling skill to blame for this 2-14 record. Vince Young takes a dump and his teammates are inspired, rally around it, and subsequently will go the playoffs.

(2) David Carr is the man. The guy has never made an honest mistake in his life: it's either his O-line, playcalling, coaching, receivers, or quite possibly the fact that he cut his hair that's to blame for anything and everything you thought he did wrong. Football's a team game, and it's the team that sucks.

(3) David who? Reggie Bush is an automatic touchdown everytime he looks at the ball. Draft him, problems solved.

That is pretty much it, with only slight variation to the theme :) As I say, welcome aboard.

10. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

I am pretty much in camp no. 1, but the only thing worse then DC would be Jake. I'll have to admit that due to some hard work by Kubes and Shanny, Jake is looking alot better then he did with the Cardinals. But, when the pressure was on, NFC Championship, the old Jake resurfaced.

Another post asked if our O-line was really that bad, and I would have to say yes again. They are pretty good against the run, but pass blocking is almost non-existant. If you thought Jake looked bad in the NFC Championship game, wait until he sets up behind our line.

11. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

Unfortunately the 'love my Carr' members of this board are able to see how the O-line is the problem, but when you try and break down the problems on the team and include Carr within those problems, they start screaming 'its a team game'. I don't quite get how its a team game when you critique the QB, but its an O-line problem, and not a team game, when you don't.

ALL the problems in this team were not directly related to Carr. But he was a major contributor to the offensive problems, IMHO. So was the O-line, IMHO.

Carr will be the QB, McNair has guaranteed that practically. Kubiak will just have to get used to the idea that for at least one more year he will have to drive a hoopty, 4 flat tires, rusted paint, belongs in the scrap heap, Carr.

12. Fighting Blue Hen

Fighting Blue Hen Rookie

LOL... Are you having VY nightmares or something?

13. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I don't think Carr is that bad at all, I have always thought he has alot of potential. I think he will be good QB under Kubes.

Basically, I trust Kubiak's evaluation of Carr as he has spent most of his life either being a QB or coaching a QB, he is way more qualified then anyone I know to evaluate Carr's potential.

All that being said, I think there are plenty of us that think Carr can be the QB of the future but still has to develope, un-learn some bad habits/decision making, and render to some quality coaching. Also simultaneously believing that there are just too many holes to fill on this team in one offseason, and YES one of them is the O-Line, another one being half of the defense especially if we are going to switch to a 4-3 (at least most of the time). That is the camp I am in!

14. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If I could find that head scratch thingy, I'd put it here (x)

Jake doesn't fit the mold of a scrambling QB? What's next, Jake is a classic drop back-pocket passer?

15. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

I'll dedicate this smiley to you: :um:

aj. likes this.
  16. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

17. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

why do you think he was nicknamed "snake"?? It was for his scrambling/escapeability.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Actually, I think a lot of people are at (4) We don't if David Carr is the man or sucks. Because we see some good things and some bad things, but with all the excuses in list in (2), our QB position is Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. We don't know what David Carr we're gonna get.

Basically 2002 again, without the stored good will. :(

19. vtech9

vtech9 Hall of Fame

actually, that is closer to my thoughts than any of them but I also have a drastic lean towards #1. I have seen too many errors by Carr that shouldn't be made by a Rookie QB, much less a 4 year veteran, to have alot of faith in him. I always hope that he can turn his carreer around, but I have serious doubts.

20. Fighting Blue Hen

Fighting Blue Hen Rookie