Is Cromartie worth the Texans 1st?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by leebigeztx, Mar 3, 2009.

1. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Simple question with reports the chargers are very happy with Cason and will re-sign Florence and are shopping Cromartie. The guy played with a fractured hip last year and wasn't the same player as the year before. Playing in the same division with the colts and all the spread sets teams are playing, you can't have enough good corners. Getting him for the 1st, he's still on his rookie contract will also give the team flexibilty in dealing with Robinson. If the resign Robinson and trade for Cromartie and have Reeves and Bennett as the 3rd and 4th corners, that's pretty good against anyone trying to pass the ball.

Should the texans do it?

2. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

No. The price will be high because of how flashy Cromartie is. The truth is, he's a playmaker and a great returner - but his coverage skills are average at BEST - even when he had his great year in 07.

He's just not that good unless he's already got the ball in his hands and he's trying to make a play. Seriously overrated.

3. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

NNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Polo

Polo Guest

No...

I don't consider him a great cover corner...

Rodgers-Cromartie is better in coverage as a rookie

5. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I believe his metrics were absolutely atrocious last season. Bottom of the league bad. Even when he had his 10 int season he was middle of the pack. No way I would want to give up a high draft pick for him.

6. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Yes he is!!!

7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't think it's a good deal either.. But, Cromartie was playing with a bad hip last year and it severely impacted his ability to move.

8. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I'm nt trying to influence anyone, but antonio is beter in coverage than what some of u are giving him credit for plus he's a playmaker on the ball. All the sd players say he's a big time student of the game. He's young, has been productive and if u think u can get a beter player in the middle of the draft than him, good luck. Ask manning if he can play. Watch him in the trail technique locate the ball and make plays on the ball. Ask yourself, if he was in the draft right now, where would he be rated? That's how gm pair the draft with trades and fa. Last yr, there were 2 good dt's in the draft and both were going top 10. That's why williams,rogers,stroud, and jenkins were traded for a 2nd rd pick. I can tell you talking to my friend who is a scout, there are no top 10 worthy corners. Eventhough Jenkins will go high, he's not close to cromartie. Davis is like his brother and no safeties have a 1st rd grade. So to get a guy that played on a cracked hip on a rookie contract who has been to the pro bowl his 2nd year in the league for a midle 1st rd pick, I think its a no brainer.

9. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Not really sure he's worth the 1st they'll be asking, now if they were shopping him for a second I think i'd go for it.

I'm not sure how I feel about us moving for a CB unless we are absolutely sure we aren't going to resign Dunta or Jekins falls into our lap at 15.

10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

<br>Even less of a reason to trade for him if he's damaged goods

11. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

It was a cracked hip. For a cb not being ble to ope his hips or turn and run is huge. That's why u see cb''s that ca run fast but are tight in the hips get burned by slower wr's. The guy had a cracked hip and never said a word.

12. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I would be willing to give up a 2nd for him, and swap 1sts(all of one spot).

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I like him as a player. My biggest problem would be the financial issue. We'd have him for 2 seasons of his rookie contract and then we'd be staring at a megadeal. I'm not entirely opposed to it, but if you are an organization that believes in its ability to draft, then giving up a 1st round pick for a guy 3 years into his rookie contract doesn't make a lot of sense. Frankly, I'd be more comfortable just taking Vontae Davis or trading down for Ephonso Smith, depending on what the organization believed... Then, he's ours under a rookie contract for 5 years. If we were in a crisis situation and needed immediate help at CB, I'd be interested in that deal. I don't think that is our situation, however.

14. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Let's put aside which pick or picks are given up for a moment. Seems to me you could make the opposite argument. Cromartie would be playing the next two seasons at a very reasonable $935k and $1.22 mil. Very cheap for a starting CB and exceedingly cheap if he returned to pro-bowl form. Plus he has every incentive in the world to pull a Haynesworth and up his game before that contract is due because if he doesn't, there is no mega deal. Fat and happy rookie with a learning curve v. cheap (and still young) vet with an objective--the latter seems like it has more immediate potential for improvement of the D.

15. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

I'd stay away from Vontae Davis like venereal disease.

I think Smith gives you everything Cromartie does, except size, and elite athleticism. We would have to spend a top 25 pick to get him (Smith).

They're both elite playmakers, and gamebreakers, with elite ball skills.

Cromartie may only be above average in coverage, but that would instantly make him our best cover man. If his medical checks out I think he's worth a 2, but I would have to get something extra if they want my 1.

16. was385

was385 Rookie

I pretty much agree with the sentiment so far. He gets a good rep because of the flashy plays and his athleticism but he looks to make those big plays too much and ends up getting burned a lot because of it. He just takes way too many risks for me, especially without especially talented safeties behind him (would be necessary to maximize his value).

17. Big Poundcake

Big Poundcake Veteran

With all my heart...No.

18. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

That sounds 'doable' to me as well. If not for the questions around that injury, I might've considered the First-Rounder.

19. Big Poundcake

Big Poundcake Veteran

I'd trade a 3rd for him........... Maybe a 2nd.

Can he play FS?

20. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Why? I liked what I saw at the combine and a few highlights but I don't know a ton about him.