Is Colts game now a must win for Texans?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by silvrhand, Sep 6, 2011.

1. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Hmm, if the Texans flop up a stinker at home on the opening, is this the boldest prediction out there? Honestly with Peyton being out I think this puts more pressure on the Texans that they have to win now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20.../06/bold.predictions/index.html#ixzz1XByeugh6

#16 hits pretty hard as well :(

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Every game is a must win for the Texans. At least that is the way I think they should approach each & every game on the schedule.

TimeKiller likes this.
  3. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

YES! This should be a give me without peyton. These are the kind o games we have to win if we want to make the playoffs.

4. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

To make the playoffs, all division games must be treated as must wins. This was true beofre we learned about 18's health problems and it's till true this afternoon. Nothing has really changed from the Texans' standpoint.

5. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I wouldn't say it's a must win, but if they want the fans to have confidence in them then it's pretty close to one. If they look like the Texans of old after all the hype from the new, revamped D...well we'll probably see a lot of these afterward.

:wadepalm:

6. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

No, it's not.

Should they approach every week like it's a "must win"? Yes, but they aren't going to win them all. All that matters is the record at the end of the season and getting into the playoffs. IIRC, we put an ass-load of emphasis on the opener against Indy last year and where did that get us? We won, but we still didn't accomplish shit over the course of the season. Win or lose, I hope they take something from this game to build off of for next week:

If they win, they are as good as they thought they were and that gives them confidence going into week 2. Keep the juggernaut going strong.

If they lose, they were not as good as they thought they were and realize what they need to fix to turn it around and right the ship.

You can't get too high or too low, it's a long season folks.

jdubba likes this.
  7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, I say it's a must win.

:d:

8. silvrhand

This is what makes it so important though, are the Texans enough of a team to right the ship, or is it enough to bust a hole in the lifeboat and sink it.

9. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

It isn't a must win... but it is a must play well.

:faildetector:

Hervoyel likes this.
  10. markn

markn Hall of Fame

No, 'must win' is surely the highest standard of importance and I would think should be taken literally, ie win or go home.

This game probably rises to the level of 'hugely important'. I wouldn't even classify it as 'vital' or 'season defining'. I say it's hugely important because it sets the tone and answers the question 'can we win against teams we're expected to beat'. The Texans historically have a poor record when favored by the odds-makers. This is a great time to show that we're for real. A resounding win will help, especially if we look good against the run - which appears our biggest weakness at this time - but, while demoralizing, a defeat would not end our season

11. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

yes it is...we lose this game, this team could easily fall into a spiral it can't get out of.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

It's a must win. Don't think for a second #18 isn't going over film with Collins though. It's not going to be easy. Collins has had good games against us. That D better be ready.

The way my week is going, it wouldn't suprise me if we went in the tank this week.

13. silvrhand

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

This. If anyone employed by the Texans has the slightest idea that there are any games on the schedule that are "gimmies" they need to be sent packing. Nobody on that team can afford to take anything for granted.

They've never looked better but that just means they've never had a chance to fall this far or this hard. The real problem I see here is that they should set out to just literally destroy every team they play and nobody on that coaching staff has that kind of intensity in them. At least not that I can detect.

15. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

The article is kinda stupid. There is no such thing as a "must win" in week 1. Would it be horrible and embarrassing if we lose....yes. Will our season be over if we lose....no. Hence not a "must win". Which is a phrase that's entirely overused to begin with.. I.E. this case. :rolleyes:

markn likes this.
  16. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Ouch.

Must win? If you're Kubiak, it'd better be. If the Texans can't beat a Manning-less Colts, then they won't break .500.

17. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

LOL, I was expecting someone to pull out that David Carr quote.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

The Lombardi's of the World will have a field day if we lose. Not that I care...just sayin

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Sounds like setup if you ask me.

One team has all the pressure to win. The other team, expected to lose, comes in loose. LOL! Yeah, we all know how those games turn out.

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Yes, every game is the Texans Super Bowl! We must win them all, starting week 1!