Is Carr a LEADER???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BattleRedTexan, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BattleRedTexan

BattleRedTexan Rookie

I'm fairly new to this board, so I don't know if this has been addressed before...

I think Carr has all of the talent and tools necessary to be a GREAT quarterback, but the reason that I am all caught up in the Vincent Young "hype" is because I question Carr's leadership abilities.

Most people I talk to don't seem to think that Carr is a LEADER.

When you see V. Young play, he gives off a vibe that he is going to LEAD his team to victory. I'm just not sure if Carr has "it."

I truely hope that Carr become a great LEADER. I hope after having such a bad season, he will refocus and rededicate himself to being the very best player he can be..... Only HE can determine his legacy now. If he can LEAD the Texans to the playoffs, he will become Houston's "Golden Boy."

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the NFL Draft...

2. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

IMO, he is not a leader. And I don't think it's because he wasn't "allowed" to be a leader. People either are leaders or they aren't.

But I hope that he does improve, and I hope that I'm wrong about his leadership qualities, because it appears that I'm stuck with him - at least for the next year.

3. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I think its about impossible to tell.. but from what I have seen he has the ability to be a leader.

4. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

The Question is is he a leader im going to say NO simple as that.

5. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

When your team is run by an oligarchy of coordinators, you would be surprised what you can and can't do.

6. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

how can you say NO when you have no PROOF?

I think that people are equating winning with leading.

7. BattleRedTexan

BattleRedTexan Rookie

You would think that after 4 years, we would be able to say FOR SURE whether or not he is a leader...

And I think there is a difference between being a sidelines "cheerleader" who tries to get people fired up, and being a true leader ON THE FIELD.

A leader, in my opinion, is someone who "takes the reins" and says:

"Okay guys, WE'RE going to win this game." (His team believes in him, and there is no doubt in their mind that they are going to do it.)

8. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Why of course they do. Just like they equate losing with that tired and overused "no emotion or fire". :rolleyes:

9. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

...then drives his team down into the opponents territory late in the 4th QTR and watches a perfect 30yrd strike bounce off the hands of his WR on the 2yrd line.

Bottom line is unless you are in the huddle or locker room NONE of us can really answer the question.

10. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

he has the ability to be a leader but even Bob McNair questions it some. He said during the press conference that he wants Carr to step up more and take more of the leadership role on this team.

As soon as I find the exact quote I will post it.

11. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Remember what Sharper said that got him cut. "We need a leader on this team" or something to that effect after they lost a close game.

You question Carr, you get kicked off the team.

12. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

why couldn't sharper have been that player? he reminds me of scott pippen as far as shirking responsibility when he is given it.

amazing how dunta is a leader in his 2nd overall season in the league and sharper never seemed to get to that point.

13. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Yeah, that was what a lot of people said, that's why most took it as a shot at Carr...

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Doesn't he leave practice the second it's over - not spending any time bonding with his teammates?

15. BattleRedTexan

BattleRedTexan Rookie

Well, I just HOPE that Carr STEPS UP this season.

He is just beginning to see how it is going to be for him if he does not perform. He's still young (only in his 4th season in the NFL) and people are already beginning to question him and talk about getting another quarterback.

Until this past season, people were still on the Carr bandwagon, but now people are starting to get tired.

As far as our draft pick goes, I think we will be fine either way. Bush and Young are both phenomenal players, and you can't go wrong either way (although the "hometown factor" has people in a frenzy about Young right now). If the Texans get either of these two guys, we will be in good shape.

But regardless of what happens, Carr needs to take this team to the next level next season. He needs to step up and LEAD the Texans, otherwise he is going to find people questioning him for the rest of his career. At this point, Carr's legacy is in his own hands, and I for one hope that he chooses to spend this offseason preparing to prove everyone wrong next season...

16. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

On one of the early morning 610 interview Steve McKinney was asked this same question. Is DC the leader of the offense? McKinney answer was NO. Why? I don't know, he just isn't.

There is also proof of it on the sidelines during games. Othe sucessful quarterbacks, like Manning and Palmer take an active roll in guiding the offense. They talk to coaches, meet with wide receivers, running backs, and o-linemen. DC does none of this. He has not been, is not now and will not be a leader!

Fiddy likes this.
  17. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

That's pretty disturbing. If the guy who hands you the ball on every play doesn't think you're the leader, this team is in trouble.

18. CaptainPatriot

CaptainPatriot Veteran

All you have to do is look in a Leaders Eyes when the game is on the line in the 4th Q! There is your PROOF IE: Montana,Brady and now VY at least at the College Level. Look at Montana and Brady last College Bowl Games.
    I would hate to see in 3 yrs VY and Titans going to playoffs and Texans still saying Give Carr cpl more yrs. he is almost there! Reggie Bush ends up being like a Peter Warrick.

19. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Perfect statement. You can go ahead and close this thread....discussion over.

20. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Fortunately for us, we don't have to speculate on everything. Texans players provide just enough quotes to the media for us to form opinions about the general behind-the-scenes feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.