Irvins acceptance to HOF is an outrage

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by whiskeyrbl, Feb 3, 2007.

1. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I'm sure I'll hear it about this. But how in the world can you have a player in the HOF that was charged and admitted to using an illegal drug (marijuana) and being in a place where a supposed rape or sexual misconduct took place with a teammate. Yet Pete Rose is banned from the HOF for gambling? At least gambling is legal in some places in the US. Hey they both admitted wrong doing. But I guess the race card can't be used because it's reversed this time.

2. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

2 different sports and 2 different sets of rules. NFL is only concerned about what took place on the field. Besides Rose is a total jerk of a person. I have met him several times and wouldn't wish him on my worse emeny.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Nothing compromises the integrity of the game more than gambling on your own team or against it.

4. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Doesn't matter about the different sports. Both HOF's are supposed to be for the best players in the history of the sport!!!!! Regardless if you are a jackass or not. Rose definitely put up the numbers and has some records that will never come close to being broke. The message I see being sent is it's ok to smoke pot and commit a rape or be where a rape takes place, but don't bet money on your team to win. Thats a good message to our youth don't ya think.

5. old football fan

old football fan Veteran

But Rose has been BANNED from baseball for his legal gambling. Betting on his own team where he had some control over the outcome.

6. The Dream

The Dream Hall of Fame

different sports, different incidents....

7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

So anyone who has made mistakes and then has changed themselves should not be in? As some other veterans have said, it isn't the Life Hall of Fame, it is the Football Hall of Fame. Stats are all that matters. So are you saying Lawrence Taylor and a host of others who did drugs, had problems, etc should not get in either?This sounds more like dislike for the player than the standards. Football and Baseballs Halls are different.

8. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I don't know how Irvin made it, but Derrick Thomas hasn't.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If there was even a hint that Michael Irvin threw a game to win a bet, or settle a wager, you can rest assured, that he wouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

& that is basically why Pete Rose was banned from Baseball...... & denied the HOF.

Think about it.. what Pete Rose did challenges the integrity of the game, and you want to celevrate him??

Michael Irvin....... & folks like him challenges the way teams select their players. But you can't deny he did all he could to give you & me an entertaining show.

10. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the rape charges false, and because of the accusation both Irvin and Williams sued and won?

I don't agree to a person using illegal drugs, but even if I didn't like Irvin, there is a big difference between being accused of illegal drugs for personal use and gambling for or against the team that you are managing. The latter can compromise the integrity of the whole game in addition to a manager being in the position to profit perosnally from such bets.

OBTW, congratulations to Irvin, Thurman, Matthews and the others who were inducted.

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

Nobody is saying he is a role model.

I would think if you polled people, you'd find that they do not consider Irvin to be someone to pattern their life after.

BUT...he played the WR position brilliantly, IMO. Great size, great speed, and awesome instinct.

He deserves to be in the HOF. Stats, championships, etc., prove he was a HOF PLAYER. I don't condone his personal lifestyle, and I cannot stand his commentary on ESPN...but he was a great player nonetheless.

We should trust that people know Irvin was a great player, yet perhaps NOT the person you want your kids to idiolize.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Wow......... Irvin has been married for 20 years...

20 years.....

13. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

The important thing is that his "friend" is happy he made it in...

14. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

I prefer the NFL's approach to the MLB's approach.

15. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

I don't know how Irvin gets in before Monk does. Irvin's got higher per-season totals, but lesser career stats. Monk won plenty of rings too and set a lot of records in his time. Art Monk should be the maddest dude in the world right now. It's not that Irvin isn't deserving, he is... it's that he was a wreck and pretty disrespectful during his time in the league and hasn't been above reproach in retirement. I guess Irvin has the distinction of playing his entire career for Dallas, while Monk bounced around.

Pete Rose shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. He's done nothing since he was banned to change perception either. Such a shame, the dude just played on a psychotically intense level...

16. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

If there's a spot for Lawrence Taylor in Canton, then there should be one for Michael Irvin.

Like it or not, he's one of the best wide receivers ever to play the game. On one of the best teams that's ever been in the game.

He's gone a long way towards cleaning up his act the past few years as well. Well deserved.

17. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

You can't compare apples to oranges bud, sorry.

18. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

But you can compare 2 football players that have had similar problems off the field.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I go with McClain on this one. Monk wasn't even the best player on his team during the good years. Sanders had better stats than him in almost every year they were teammates..so he wasn't even the go to guy on his own team.

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Exactly and we aren't going into the dozens of guys in that probably dabbled in drugs during the heavy steroid days, etc. Again, football players all have their own personality and style and I'm sure the Hall has every type. As I said above and you reiteratted, you can't put in a Taylor and then say you should keep Irvin out.