Irony......

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by thunderkyss, Dec 18, 2006.

1. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

.... remember the arguments against Vince Young??

He'd need 4 years to develop.....

Can't read an NFL defense......

Can't take a snap from under center....

Balls will be batted down because of his side arm delivery...

Not very accurate.....

Just thought it was kind of Ironic... wouldn't you think??

2. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Alanis Morissette is that you ?
    :shades:

3. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

ironic? more like moronic.

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

His biggest supporters in the media were saying he would be a project and needed to sit. (McClain, Justice, Lord).

5. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

I am a Longhorn, and I love Vince as much as anyone. I thought he would succeed in the NFL, but even I thought it would be better if he sat a year.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

OK....... Irony

i·ro·ny:
    You see, I think it's Ironic, that the main arguments against drafting Vince Young were as stated above. We didn't want to wait for our QB to overcome those defieciencies in his game, so we stuck with David Carr. & by sticking with David Carr, we are having to wait for our QB to overcome those QB defieciencies we wanted to avoid in the first place.

It doesn't matter what Vince can/can't do. It doesn't matter if Vince sits for a year, or two, or none.....

the point is that the things we wanted to avoid........... we end up having to endure anyway.

7. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Worst of all, is enduring the endless whining of Vince Young fans.

8. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

He had minus 14 yards passing in the 2nd half Sunday. Led his team to 98 yards of total offense, 5 first downs for the game, 13 total yards in the 2nd half. He was 0-6 passing with a sack on 3rd down for the game, 5 of their 8 possessions weren't longer than 4 plays, a sixth possession was 5 plays.

Maybe it IS taking time to develop.

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Yea, that's true. I think we (and by we I mean Bob McNair) didn't want to draft him in the first place because we were going to let him play another year or two to see if he could turn it around.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Are we talking about David(the 5 year starter) against Oakland(a team playing for nothing but pride)??

Or Vince Young(the rookie) against Jacksonville(a team trying to get into the playoffss)??

11. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

You see, I think it's Ironic, that the main arguments against drafting Vince Young were as stated above. We didn't want to wait for our QB to overcome those defieciencies in his game, so we stuck with David Carr. & by sticking with David Carr, we are having to wait for our QB to overcome those QB defieciencies we wanted to avoid in the first place.

It doesn't matter what Vince can/can't do. It doesn't matter if Vince sits for a year, or two, or none.....

the point is that the things we wanted to avoid........... we end up having to endure anyway.[/QUOTE]

It was a great point and pretty funny. But if that's is what we all thought vince would be doing. wouldn't you rather another player with the pick instead of using your 1st pick do something that carr will be doing? now we have balls batted down and a DE. lol

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I like our DE.

I really have no problem that we passed on Vince..... I'd just like to convert a few more Carr homers, so we can move on, & fix this team.

13. whotex8

whotex8 Rookie

:ouch:.......OUCH!<--------:loser

14. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

young still needs plenty of time to develop. he's still a run-first QB right now.

15. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Stats are stats, there for everyone to interrupt however they wish. I'm certainly not a stat geek and I absolutely know that stats do not tell the whole story.

I just know that David Carr's minus 5 yards passing got thrown around here a whole lot. Then when somone throws a not so favorable stat out there for Young, all of a sudden stats are for losers. Okily dokily..

16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

If Vince were a baseball player ... he'd be hitting ... 250 with 25 hrs 105 rbi's ... batting 4th . While it would'nt seem like much ... he would have 15 hits to put his team ahead from the 7th on and 3 walkoff HRs .

Anybody want to translate Carr's .

17. real

real Guest

I think the difference is that Carr played poorly and throwing around the -5 yards stat was for the "ummmph" factor...Basically to make your message more powerful.....

Cleary using stats don't show how well or poorly a player played all the time, but in that case....well.....they did.....

18. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

no need for a stat-sheet. young still relies on his legs more than his arm beyond the 2nd read. still young, still developing though. those are the facts.

19. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

Stats are just that, stats. A QB can go 12 for 29 for 118 yards with 2 picks and still get the win. Shoot, David went -5 and the Texans got the W. Bottom line is when were the completions made, when it was 3rd down and it was converted into a 1st. Those numbers are never put out there, so stats don't tell everything. Now they can tell alot of how a team did, but regardless of what they show, it doesn't tell the whole picture.

20. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

Just see Morgan Ensberg's stats last year. Carr with his completion %, Ensberg with hios OBP