Interesting quote from Coach Kollar Re: Mario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5867

""Obviously, he's a big guy with a ton of talent that plays pretty hard and has a lot of upside to him," Kollar said. "What I saw was he did a little too much speed rushing and going around the guys instead of running over offensive tackles. That's something we've been working on all year, to get him a better feel of that. He's gotten better. It's messed him up a little with that shoulder dinged up, but he's definitely getting better at it."

I find it interesting that Kollar is specifically coaching Mario NOT to do what he's been doing all season. Before Kollar came here we would see Mario get sacks off of his bull rush (which is one of the best in the league). Now, the bull rush is basically nonexistant. I blamed it on the shoulder injury, but Kollar claims that they are coaching him to run over tackles more often which tells me he is capable of still doing the bull rush.

Why isn't he bull rushing then? Supposedly we're coaching him up to do more of what he used to do before this DL coach arrived...

2. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

To me it looks like he just tries to blow by the OL and rushes his merry way on past the QB as the QB steps up into the pocket.

3. TheRealJoker

Apparently he's being coached to do what he did under Jethro Franklin.

4. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

Perhaps, Mario's shoulder injury is still causing some problem?

Go Texans!!

5. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

He has been *MUCH* better on run support though, I think if he gets 9/10 sacks per year and with the better run support I would be happy, just seems like he's having to really watch the shoulder..

My guess.. rotater cuff issues..

6. TheRealJoker

Indeed, something is fishy with his shoulder... I just found it interesting to read the coach say he's trying to do one thing when he's clearly not.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

its a lot of work. In his defense there are two injuries that will kill the worth of a lineman...knees and shoulders.

8. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

I assume they are being intentionally ambiguous about his shoulder, though at this point I'm not sure why. The team really couldn't afford a big injury to Mario, but it sure seems to be playing a part in his season.

9. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

It looks like that because that's all he's really capable of doing on one shoulder.

I don't think it has anything to do with the coaching and I think the OP is overanalyzing. Mario's shoulder is hurt and therefore his bull rush is ineffective.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

They keep flipping him from strong side to weak side...if they knew one shoulder was THAT bad, why would they let him play with his bad shoulder on the inside? The inside shoulder is the one that is going to get jammed in a pass rush for the most part.

dc_txtech likes this.
  11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

How much of this is because our DT's are heading west and east respectively, instead of south toward the QB? Seems the opposing QB has a pocket all the way up to the LOS way too often on pass plays.

12. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

Well, our DT play isn't exactly providing Mario a lot of support, you're right about that.

13. datchapin

datchapin Veteran

14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I can say, if you have a rotator cuff issue, you can't do anything. You lose most of your power and have to find ways to play without using your arm. Not very easy for Linemen. ( I played OT )