Interesting HPF article on draft day Blooper by our FO

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, May 5, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Interesting because it does not argue whether or not Williams was the right pick, but whether the FO handled the decision making process correctly, citing that bringing in Williams like we did will elicit so much fan, media, and team pressure, that he may be set up to fail. They give comparisons to Carr, but personally, I think DE has less scrutiny than QB, and therefore should be OK

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/slant69.html

2. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Air Calvary? Is that a Middle Eastern airline or something?

Granted that the Texans had first choice of the three, like so many others who have either directly or indirectly piled on, the article is written with the assumption that Young and Bush will be highly successful and Mario is the one who needs to prove something.

With all due respect, the pressure is on all three young men and the respective orgs who selected them to prove something in the NFL, and do it at a very high level for a very long time.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Its funny that a lot media and message board writers assume that Reggie's the next Barry Sanders / Gale Sayers and that Vince is the next Favre / Mcnabb but they will not entertain the idea of Mario being the next Bruce Smith / Julius Peppers . Mario's got to prove what he can do while the other two are all ready being enshrined .

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Speaking of which ... and along those lines...

Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote several days ago .. although it wasn't picked up by anyone that I know of:

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I think the point they are trying to make in this article is that Reggie and Vince have to prove something during the season, but Williams has to prove something yesterday. People will watch Reggie and Vince, but allow them time and failures, while Williams mis-steps will be criticized on an instant. It isn't that only one of them has to prove himself, and it isn't that one of them isn't expected to succeed, its that when 1 of them fails (Williams), and they all will, but when Williams fails, he will be scrutinized much more ferociously then the other two. And, according to HPF, the Texans are at fault for that one

The media loves controversy, its what sells airtime and brings in the money. They will always try to make something out of nothing, and so even though everyone agress that all 3 of them will probably be superstars, the controversy of picking Williams first after what HPF believes to be smokescreening with Bush and Young, provides controversy. If the Saints had picked Williams #2, no one would be making the comparisons. Its only because we went out on a limb according to the media

6. GoneTexan

GoneTexan Rookie

Thanks for sharing AJ and GREAT Article (hope it makes it out to the media).

Let's support our team and Go TEXANS!

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

The point that was wasted is that our team could have gone the easy route and drafted Vince . This would have pleased a lot of folks and sold jerseys and official VY clipboards while he watched . This while spending 75 million on QBs .

We could have picked media darling Reggie Bush and played it safe because if we fail the media will say " wow he was so good what happened " . Their would be a lot of jerseys sold also .

You cannot be great and not take risk and I for one applaud the Texans for walking the tight rope without a safety net . I believe that our first four picks have a chance to be the picks that help solidify our OL and be the cornerstone for the defense .

With Mario a workout freak and Demeco Ryans a smart intense player with huge intangibles , we may get the best mix since Reese's combined chocolate and peanut butter .

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah everyone has called houston dumb, but no one seems to have thought that in order for a team to pass up on a prospect like bush, that the player who was taken must be pretty damn good himself. but that's what you get from the media. it's not always about who wins the games, but who loses the games.

9. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

AJ's point is well taken.

The HPF's article's is not.

The draft is not just about a player. It is about gaming the system. It may be that the Texans wanted Mario all along and were hoping to trade down to get him and more.

Nobody would have believed we would take Leinart, so there was the hometown Vince thing, Bush, and Williams (a nobody would have complained about had we got a good trade down). You want to mentally prepare your fans, but at the same time, you wanted to see what the market might bring for the first pick.

We got kinda screwed with N.O. taking Brees, because their need for a QB wasn't as dire. So, there was no need to trade to #1 to get QB.

If we made it clear we wanted Williams, when everyone else said Bush was a no brainer, there is no incentive to trade with us for the #1 pick.

Teams have to walk a difficult line--one of doing what is right for the team (including trade downs if you can do it), but knowing that doing the right thing, and not being able to really prepare the fans for it, can make them cranky. This year, there was a perfect sheetstorm of circumstances that made it tough for the team (hometown guy, flashing "consensus 1" publicity guy), but you want to maintain the hype for the #1 pick if you want any value for it as a trade.

So, if that puts pressure on our first pick Mario, so be it. Pressure on top picks is silly anyway--it is difficult to be a rookie worth that much money in a cap era. But at the end of the day, I say pressure schmessure. It ain't like he is being shot at.

Vinny likes this.
  10. GP

GP Go Texans!

The impression I get from watching interviews with Mario, and how he has responded since that fateful Friday night, is that he feels he is worthy of being the first pick...of being picked BEFORE Bush.

And because of that--because of that confidence and unabashed swagger--I can't help but think that Mario has got what it takes to succeed.

I feel that the media's handling of this is more about selling papers and a whole lot less about calling it like it should be called. Two guys were at the top of the board. We didn't "reach," like Capers was famous for. We actually pulled off what most draft experts are calling "a great draft," and we've never been spoken of in those terms before.

We picked up two solid defensive guys in the first two rounds, and we picked up two solid o linemen back-to-back in the third. I've been watching every draft by the Texans, and I can honestly say that this draft "felt right," and I can't explain it with tangible evidence...but it just felt right, for the first time.

It felt like we were a Pitsburgh or a New England. It felt as though we were drafting not just players who were talented enough, but that we got players that will fit our current team needs and team philosophy. The other drafts felt like we were trying to be smarter than everyone else and grab up a guy who probably would have lasted a round or two later.

I dunno. I just think we did a heckuva' job...and it's the media's job to roast us even when we don't deserve it. It's what "they" do to Houston. NBA. MLB. NFL. If it's in Houston, it gets bashed 24-7. Unlike Dallas where the paper has never let their teams off a pedestal. You'd think they win titles every year the way they cover their sports teams.

11. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

i agree, its just sports politics though. I mean he does have alot of pressure on him, but who doesnt beign the # 1 pick, plus beign taken ahead of bush the one everyone wanted has to make it even more pressure. But he's a good football player and i have confidence he can be a big time play maker for us !

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

Great little article.

Great, just great. :)

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think Mario has a lot to prove, not him personaly on the field, but Mario the
    pick made by the Texans. VY was the hugely sentimental pick of the Texans
    by their fans here in Houston, and Bush was the huge consensus pick by everyone outside of the city, to include all the football experts. Remember,
    the poll conducted by Mornings News journalist Gosselin had the vast majority of the NFL teams with Bush as the BPA. Mario was the very, very
    distant #2 pick.
    So the Texans pick has far more pressure to just not succeed, but succeed
    at a high level so the organizations upset pick of Bush and VY can be justified.

14. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

V.Y. and Bush both played in at least one championship game and helped their teams avg.50pts. a game last year. Marios team with his Leadership was 7-5(3-5) in Conference. Who would have to prove they belonged at the next level more? Where is the greatest risk? The reason most articles are written that way is because a majority of them see it that way. Marios feat will be to prove the majority wrong in his career. And even if he is good and the other two are too he will never measure up for most people.

15. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Freeney and Peppers' teams finished 3rd in the Big East and ACC respectively in 2001. So you can't be a great player unless you're on a great team?

16. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

to put it in a nutshell.. people have complained about lack of pass protection and lack of pass rush.. well we went that route (like AJ said) and people still want the fancy pick.. I mean at sometime we had to go ugly... .. It reminds me of the Oilers and there picks of steinkuhler,mathews and munchack in the 1st round.. people hated it because it wasn't a "showtime" pick.. but those trench guys set the tone.. I can only hope that TJ and MW and Ryans along with drob can make a defense that will hurt you.

17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

what does that say about.Jay Cutler? ??

18. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

Couldn't you say the same thing about Bush or ANY guy the Texans picked? No matter who they chose, they would have been subject to the same kind of fan, media and team pressure just because they were #1 choices.

19. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

What was John Elway's college record?

20. texplayer2

texplayer2 Veteran

He did good in the senior bowl and Combine. As for VY or RB you can look at their teams production and success and directly correlate it to these players worth on draft day and beyond. MW will need to come in here and anchor our D. AND help our team win( which didn't happen in college). Much more pressure when you have to rely on others to score for you.