Interesting Camp Quotes today

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Link:HoustonTexans.com

Lots of good stuff in there relating to just about everything.

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Seems as if Seth Payne has been lost in nowhere land...

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I think Kubiak just likes to rotate the defensive line to keep them fresh, rather than any indictment of Seth.

This should be interesting on Saturday if the Rams decide to do some of their no huddle.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

My comment on another thread about the first quote you posted.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Half of the 4 players selected to represent the team are new to the organization this year. Shows you the void of leadership in past years,
    of perhaps the relative strength of leadership among new teammates, or both ?

6. AUSTexan

AUSTexan Rookie

I continue to think that our best line combo has Mario and Weaver at ends... except on passing downs of course. If Mario can put some pressure on the pass, that would be a hell of a run-stopping end pair.

Don't know about anyone else, but I think the coaches noticed how much Weaver got pushed around by some good KC guards last week (I certainly did on the DVR)...

7. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

I like that, make the guys vote, just like in HS, Love it. Getting back to the roots.

8. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

And I like this quote..................

AND I like the confedence of this Rookie they call "Spencer".....................

9. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Is Weaver getting moved outside since he got blown up a lot against the Chiefs?

10. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Having Weaver outside does not say a lot for Babin/Peek and their worth

11. cj5776

cj5776 Veteran

I think Weaver's performance does have something to do with it. However, it's more about how oustanding the three DTs have looked, Payne, TJ, and Bear. It's good he it open to having more than 8 DL on the roster. These nine would make sense Babin, Peak, those 3, Weaver, and Kalu and then the fourth tackle, Cockren or Malone. I like the idea of having not just the two former linebackers as the reserve ends, but Kalu also. He adds experience.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'm thinking that Weaver on the edge is a better option than a rotation of Peek - Babin. Both Peek and Babin can rotate in and play to their strength in a limited role as reserves. I thought Weaver was a bit light in the loafers as a DT based on limited snaps. He is pretty much a tweener DE/DT much like Peek is a tweener LB/DE. We may struggle inside this year, but it is really too early to tell clearly.

13. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

L. Johnson seemed to have room to run up the middle last week. Hopefully we shutdown Steven Jackson, he's got some power, but underachieved last year IMO.....I will have to make sure to watch our interior DL this weekend.

14. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Wasn't Weaver originally brought in to play DE before we drafted Mario?

15. Runner

I agree. From the day we picked Mario, I thought we should line him up at right end and let him terrorize left tackles. We are somewhat familiar with that concept. That is what most teams do. That would put Weaver at left end and leave our tackles where they are.

I haven't posted much about that thought until recently because I wanted to see what he coaches had up their sleeves. They know a lot more about it than me. I was somewhat surprised with this recent quote that implies that they aren't doing that because we are weak at tackle.

I have confidence that our staff will find the right combination; they are following a process to determine the best defensive line they can field. I like that much better than them deciding who goes where before they enter camp and sticking to that decision no matter what. This is a very interesting pre-season on many levels. I'm enjoying the ride.

infantrycak likes this.
  16. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Whats the word on TJ. I thought he looked pretty solid against the Chiefs. His stats dont show it but he seemed to be around the ball all the time, and he was fired up out there.

17. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

the main reason LJ had room up the middle was a probowl caliber trio in the middle for KC. I dont think it was poor play by our tackles. as far as weaver playing outside, kubiak seems to be real big on having the best guy at each position, and weaver IS a prototype DE. on the Seth Payne issue someone brought up, I have listened very closely to Kubiaks comments and what I get is that Kubiak is very pleased with payne and so he's more of a non-issue rather than oblivious. basicly Payne has earned his spot allready so far. I would like to see cochran with a shot at the 4th tackle spot personally, he has great push and moves laterally well. my:twocents:

quicksilver likes this.
  18. GP

GP Go Texans!

My thoughts exactly...we're thin in the middle. And better teams are going to see it and exploit it. Hopefully we will counteract and roll the defense toward the middle somehow during the actual play(s) if possible.

I really liked the delay blitzes we ran. Really nice.

19. Runner

Williams to the weakside this weekend.

TJ is starting too. I like it when a player proves me wrong by exceeding my expectations, even if they were pretty low. I hope he keeps it up.

The article didn't mention the o-line shuffle.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4125445.html

20. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Leave Weaver inside, let Peek and Babin rotate in one spot.

Peek
    Mario
    Weaver-He will be fine, please remeber it was the Chiefs we were playing. Who does look good vs them?
    Row

LEAVE Mario at end dont put him in the middle on 3rd downs, I dont like that. Atleast not everytime. We could have found anyone to do that( take up doubles), leave the freak on the outside and get the QB.

I watched the game and if Trent held the ball for just another step Mario would have blew him up. He spun and right when he got around the ball was comming out.