Interest in Javon Walker

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Sco-tai, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Sco-tai

Sco-tai Veteran

With Sherman on-board, would anything point to the Texans being interested in Javon Walker. Does anyone know if Sherman was a big supporter/reason why they drafted Javon?

Personally, I like Javon's speed, hands and overall route-running and definitely like the idea of him opposite AJ. Between those 2 guys, DD (and perhaps Reggie in the slot)....David would have have spectacular options. Throw in a TE that can catch and you have yourself a fun offense to watch and a great chance to win.

Any thoughts on if Javon is a good locker-room guy, too? I guess I could go to the Packer's board and ask them.

GO TEXANS!

2. KSig44

KSig44 Veteran

Javon is a me/money first guy and did not get along with Sherman. Case closed.

3. big homey

big homey Veteran

We thought Givens' price was too steep. How would we even think about signing Javon Walker, who was a holdout only last offseason?:pigfly:

4. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I was on his side for that. He was a Pro-Bowler playing for a little more than a half-million dollars. And then Favre messed him up.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Didnt he have Rosenhouse (sp?) as his agent? Who told him to holdout last year. After he didnt get his contract he fired Rosenhouse and got a new counsel? Any guy thats smart enough to get rid of Rosenhouse is OK in my book.

6. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Yes, as someone mentioned he went to the Pro Bowl and was earning barely above the league minimum. He held out, then got hurt on the first day of the season. I would love to have his talent, but he would be on the last year of his contract, meaning we would have to shell out #1 receiver money if we expect him to play for us.

7. KSig44

KSig44 Veteran

It's pretty common knowledge from two years ago with him screaming for the ball and last years hold out. And while he does deserve a raise (incentive laden) he, year after year, is more worried about money than his team.

8. mexican_texan

true, but teams don't care about their players if they get hurt. A player can be loved one day and hated another. That's why Brady's $10 million was a "paycut" for the team.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

You're totally out of nowhere with these comments. The fact is, teams can cut you whenever they want, but players get labeled money grubbing if they want a new contract. Walker shouldn't have played for 500k last season, as if his injury had been more serious, he could have ended his career. A player alling for the ball is never a bad thing, either, especially when they turn it into his #s

10. mexican_texan

Exactly

11. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Very, very good point. After a pro-bowl season, half a million dollars isnt any were near the compensation he should get for what he wa doing on the field. If he got injured and could never play again, he wouldnt have very much to build from that contract.

Every one knows, any WR worth anything, gets mad when the ball doesnt come his way on a regular basis.

12. outofhnd

outofhnd All Pro

Someone would outbid us for his services on the open market even if we were interested. I doubt we would be that interested in him.

13. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I think he wants his way out of Green Bay. He's coming off a serious injury last year, but if you were the Texans would you go after him? I don't know if Sherman has discussed it all, but the tie is there. I don't even know if the Texans are interested in him, but I'm sure they're exploring all options.

14. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't be suprised if we show some interest, we've been looking at practically all the WR free agents.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I dont think we are interested. We recently canceled our visit with Burleson because we signed Walter. I think we are done with WRs this offseason.

16. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I hope not. Who's our #2 guy? I hope we at least get Hilliard. AJ, Hilliard, Walter as our #1,2, and 3 WRs is not bad. With Putzier at TE, Carr would finally have some weapons. Now if we can get a line that keeps him standing...

17. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

This guy sounds like another me first WR trying to get out of a contract. Plus he was seriously injured. Plus he would want a big fat shiny contract.

So that would be a no.:challenge

18. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

our #2 will be Mathis, Armstrong, or Walter.

With Reggie Bush, Jameel Cook, Jeb Putzier(or another TE), and AJ on the field.. I think any of those three guys should be servicable as a #2 receiver.

19. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Ike Hilliard is not a #2. This is his work for last year in a pretty average Tampa WR group

2005 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 35cathces 282yards 8.1average 22long 1TD

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

IKE isn't coming, staying at TB. If I remember correctly (highly subjective) Walker and Sherman where not all that thrilled with each other. Could be wrong about it, but that's how I remember it.