Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

Brian Gaine, make magic happen. I am not sure Smith and Coates are the answer, but maybe we find out if Vyncint Smith is the answer. Seems our defense can work if people do their job, offense needs some star power

I like Fuller and what he can bring to this Offense but, if he can't stay healthy it's time for the Texans to start thinking about his replacement in next years draft. This is Fuller's 3rd season and he's yet to play a full 16 game season healthy.

While I kinda agree... OL and CB are way more pressing needs right now. And maybe even HB. We don’t have the luxury to go after a WR early in the next draft...

Who are the candidates for re-activation from IR? Is it 2 the Texans can choose to remove from there?

Kevin Johnson is always amongst things on the sideline, he (worryingly) seems to still see himself as very much part of this team. I'm hoping it isn't him as much as I'd love to see him get it turned around.

Who are the candidates for re-activation from IR? Is it 2 the Texans can choose to remove from there?

Kevin Johnson is always amongst things on the sideline, he (worryingly) seems to still see himself as very much part of this team. I'm hoping it isn't him as much as I'd love to see him get it turned around.

KJo is definitely in the running probably because of how our corner depth is shaking up. Cole, and Henderson are both done for the year. Other notable person, Bruce Ellington I guess? Idk the severity of his hamstring tear though so idk how likely that is

Brian Gaine, make magic happen. I am not sure Smith and Coates are the answer, but maybe we find out if Vyncint Smith is the answer. Seems our defense can work if people do their job, offense needs some star power
Heard them describing Coates' hands as "buttered stones" on the radio. Doesn't sound real promising.

Back to injury discussion. I am told that Cunningham was seen in a knee brace. These braces only essentially offer side-to-side stability. In an acute knee injury, this makes me think that he has suffered an MCL tear (less likely LCL).

Back to injury discussion. I am told that Cunningham was seen in a knee brace. These braces only essentially offer side-to-side stability. In an acute knee injury, this makes me think that he has suffered an MCL tear (less likely LCL).

Well they said they believed it to be a knee sprain, and they do not believe it to be anything serious. Of course we are still waiting on the MRI results

BOB was talking about how hard some players work to get back, and seemed to give a backhand slap to Foreman. Seems the coach does not think he is doing everything he needs to do for the team. Cannot find the interview now. I would not rush him back, we have two healthy RB's for now who seem to be getting the job done
During the offseason, Foreman was skipping rehab sessions. He has yet to have gotten up to condition standards, let alone return to play Achilles standards. Even with absolute maximal effort, coming back as a RB is a difficult task to begin with. It is almost an impossible task to come back to even near pre-injury performance level. In college, Foreman was "the man," the "elite" RB...........because of his shear innate talent..............not because of his hard work. This was a heavy knock on him coming into the Draft as only a 3 year prospect (as was the fact that he was absolutely horrible in pass protection). Like many college players that made it by for pure talent and level of competition, they fail at the NFL level because they eventually have to work their rears off to attain AND maintain that level.................and they don't.

During the offseason, Foreman was skipping rehab sessions. He has yet to have gotten up to condition standards, let alone return to play Achilles standards. Even with absolute maximal effort, coming back as a RB is a difficult task to begin with. It is almost an impossible task to come back to even near pre-injury performance level. In college, Foreman was "the man," the "elite" RB...........because of his shear innate talent..............not because of his hard work. This was a heavy knock on him coming into the Draft as only a 3 year prospect (as was the fact that he was absolutely horrible in pass protection). Like many college players that made it by for pure talent and level of competition, they fail at the NFL level because they eventually have to work their rears off to attain AND maintain that level.................and they don't.

Love what you do here for us but you are absolutely wrong here about Foreman's work ethic in college. Maybe things have changed now that he's getting paid but his reputation in college was superb.

You're thinking of his twin brother, who was a blue chip HS recruit and routinely had issues getting onto the field in college due to his poor practice habits and lack of effort.

D'Onta was a nobody in HS and received very little attention from colleges. The only reason he ended up at Texas is because his brother told Mack Brown he would commit if they took his brother too.

Once he arrived at Texas, D'Onta won over the coaches with an incredible work ethic and eventually became the sole bright spot on a dreadful team.

The pass protection issue you mention is true but the rest of that is absolutely false.

Quick answer needed - of course not. However, hearing his opinion when he has time to respond, would be greatly appreciated!

Btw, what & when was your first question if you were 'reposting' here? Yoy do realize it's before 10:00 AM on a Sunday?

Love what you do here for us but you are absolutely wrong here about Foreman's work ethic in college. Maybe things have changed now that he's getting paid but his reputation in college was superb.

You're thinking of his twin brother, who was a blue chip HS recruit and routinely had issues getting onto the field in college due to his poor practice habits and lack of effort.

D'Onta was a nobody in HS and received very little attention from colleges. The only reason he ended up at Texas is because his brother told Mack Brown he would commit if they took his brother too.

Once he arrived at Texas, D'Onta won over the coaches with an incredible work ethic and eventually became the sole bright spot on a dreadful team.

The pass protection issue you mention is true but the rest of that is absolutely false.
You are correct, I was indeed thinking of his brother. However, I assure you that the lack of serious effort that D'Onta has put into his rehab is unfortunately accurate.

You are correct, I was indeed thinking of his brother. However, I assure you that the lack of serious effort that D'Onta has put into his rehab is unfortunately accurate.
Disappointing.
I can see how Foreman himself would be discouraged by his injury, but there are a lot of others who go through the same injury and come out the other side just fine.
He needs to get over it and put his team first.

Btw, what & when was your first question if you were 'reposting' here? Yoy do realize it's before 10:00 AM on a Sunday?

After I erroneously posted here, I moved/reposted the question to Baseball Talk, so the reposting was actually from here to the correct forum/section.

The question I asked in that forum is about to ask for Doc CND's thoughts n Jose Altuve's prognosis after surgery to correct a 'patella avulsion fracture' of his knee - particularly given that he played with this condition for months...

Sad to hear about Foreman, got the impression he was perfectly suited to what this offense want out of its RB.

Google tells me that JJo's possible MCL would be minimum of 2-4 weeks out, making a return after the bye possible. That's going to be a huge loss even if at the lower end of the estimate.

Sad to hear about Foreman, got the impression he was perfectly suited to what this offense want out of its RB.

Google tells me that JJo's possible MCL would be minimum of 2-4 weeks out, making a return after the bye possible. That's going to be a huge loss even if at the lower end of the estimate.

Looked like JJO did not suffer a plain lateral ankle sprain...........looked like a high ankle sprain.

In addition to the MCL, he suffered a high ankle sprain. I would tend to be more concerned about the high ankle sprain, as it carries a less predictable prognosis.

Jjo has been durable, 3 weeks and he will be back. Keep him in the room getting the young bucs ready, miss two games, Broncos and skins. Should be able to defend them good enough, heck Tacks cant throw so give him another week. I dont have a degree but have watched this pro for years and he will do what is needed

In addition to the MCL, he suffered a high ankle sprain. I would tend to be more concerned about the high ankle sprain, as it carries a less predictable prognosis.
Ahh forgot about the high ankle. That one is going to limit him all year long even if he gets back on the field relatively early right?

I fear Foreman will never play effectively again. Just our luck, he was pure gold to the team while he lasted.

We may as well give up on Fuller; he will never stay healthy. Just our luck again, the good ones never stay with us.

I fear Foreman will never play effectively again. Just our luck, he was pure gold to the team while he lasted.

We may as well give up on Fuller; he will never stay healthy. Just our luck again, the good ones never stay with us.

Foreman had one really good game (the one he was injured) and a flash here or there, but his actual impact has been colored by his perceived "potential." His actual 2017 production was very average, normal.

Remaining money for Fuller is all guaranteed and at $3m cap 2019 he will remain on team if there is a whisper he can get back on field at some point.

As to Foreman. All indications are that he will return to practice within the next week or 2. That means if he's not back by the Washington game after the bye, he could and most likely will be ready by the Tennessee game here at home. An Achilles injury is very difficult to rehab and come back from. This long lay off by Foreman isn't because of a lack of work ethnic, its because it's a very devastating injury that can end a career. Even more so the an MCL or ACL or even a linsfranc injury. I spoke with an orthopedic surgeon at Memorial Hermann that I work with that is familiar with his case and he told me that this is a typical rehab time for an Achilles injury and not to worry. He said that it's actually a very good time frame for Foreman. He said that he's actually lucky that he might get to play football again. Foreman will be back this year.

Noone is saying it is easy and not career threatening, we were just saying some rumblings have come up that he could be going after it harder. I am in the guys corner and hope it does not end his career for Texans and his sake. Just was sharing some unrest in the organisation. I am more concerned on OL and especially CB, so wish Kevin Johnson could be a shell of himself, but for his own sake he should probably retire while his brain works

Noone is saying it is easy and not career threatening, we were just saying some rumblings have come up that he could be going after it harder. I am in the guys corner and hope it does not end his career for Texans and his sake. Just was sharing some unrest in the organisation. I am more concerned on OL and especially CB, so wish Kevin Johnson could be a shell of himself, but for his own sake he should probably retire while his brain works

As to Foreman. All indications are that he will return to practice within the next week or 2. That means if he's not back by the Washington game after the bye, he could and most likely will be ready by the Tennessee game here at home. An Achilles injury is very difficult to rehab and come back from. This long lay off by Foreman isn't because of a lack of work ethnic, its because it's a very devastating injury that can end a career. Even more so the an MCL or ACL or even a linsfranc injury. I spoke with an orthopedic surgeon at Memorial Hermann that I work with that is familiar with his case and he told me that this is a typical rehab time for an Achilles injury and not to worry. He said that it's actually a very good time frame for Foreman. He said that he's actually lucky that he might get to play football again. Foreman will be back this year.

Nothing the surgeon you spoke to is arguable...........except............that Foreman definitely did not put in the rehab that is necessary.......period. The beginning of the regular season was 10 months post injury, more than a reasonable time for him to have avoided PUP.

Nothing the surgeon you spoke to is arguable...........except............that Foreman definitely did not put in the rehab that is necessary.......period. The beginning of the regular season was 10 months post injury, more than a reasonable time for him to have avoided PUP.

I'm still in the corner of shelving him for the season. If he attempts to come back too soon and his rehab hasn't been a top notch effort, then why risk another devastating injury b/c he's compensating for the initial injury?

Even if he comes back this season, how many games before he's actually in game shape and can really contribute to this offense. He missed the entire off-season and it will probably be 10 games before he even returns to the practice field. Does he need a weeks worth of practices before he hits the field? I'd expect at minimum of 2 weeks of practice before he can take a few carries a game and another 2 or maybe 3 games before he could realistically be expected to handle the majority of carries.

I'm still in the corner of shelving him for the season. If he attempts to come back too soon and his rehab hasn't been a top notch effort, then why risk another devastating injury b/c he's compensating for the initial injury?

Even if he comes back this season, how many games before he's actually in game shape and can really contribute to this offense. He missed the entire off-season and it will probably be 10 games before he even returns to the practice field. Does he need a weeks worth of practices before he hits the field? I'd expect at minimum of 2 weeks of practice before he can take a few carries a game and another 2 or maybe 3 games before he could realistically be expected to handle the majority of carries.

I thought they should've essentially red shirted him this year anyways. Achilles are tricky enough to come back from, especially at a position like RB. I rather lose one year of his career, in hopes it pro longs it then risk it for a few games

Was there a timeline on Coutee? He was suffering from a hamstring I believe and know he didn't play Thursday, but perhaps the extra 10 days off, plus an extra 2 weeks from sitting the Denver game and the bye week, what's the speculation on being back for Washington?

Was there a timeline on Coutee? He was suffering from a hamstring I believe and know he didn't play Thursday, but perhaps the extra 10 days off, plus an extra 2 weeks from sitting the Denver game and the bye week, what's the speculation on being back for Washington?
Since this is a recurrent hamstring......the original hamstring resulted in him losing all of TC and 3 weeks of the regular season..........i.e., ~8 weeks. The original report his latest hamstring was that it was "not considered serious." Any time you experience a hamstring shortly after one that resulted in an 8 week rehab, it must be considered a serious situation with an even higher risk of recurrence. Rehab following recurrent hamstring injury seldom is short, and not uncommonly requires longer rehab than the initial injury. Whatever, with this history, he has no business returning before Washington.

What is the "illness" that has kept Griffin out of the lineup for the past couple games? I haven't seen or read anything other than "illness".

What is the "illness" that has kept Griffin out of the lineup for the past couple games? I haven't seen or read anything other than "illness".

Frozen Hand Syndrome.....evidently makes the afflicted feel as though their hands turned to stone while lacking any feeling from wrist to fingertips..

Last edited:
Back