Injury Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 31, 2016.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

@CloakNNNdagger do you have any idea what knee issue Jawaan Taylor got flagged for? Nothing came out until the draft and a top 10-15 OT prospect is not taken in 1st round. Wondering what the issue is with his knee. As always, any insight you have is valued and appreciated!

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Posted the answer to your question in the Draft Thread.

3. CloakNNNdagger

Ryan Griffin has just recently undergone "sports hernia" surgery. Hopefully, he now has not suffered tendon lacerations which is very common from his most recent window smashing incident.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  4. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Hey Doc, any injury concerns with our draft picks?

5. CloakNNNdagger

I'm happy to say that the players we took this year in the DRAFT have no significant/worrisome injury history that I have been able to uncover!

6. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

Is this the first time you recall a draft that the players didn't have a question about their previous injuries?

7. CloakNNNdagger

yes.

8. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

Then things are really changing on Kirby!

steelbtexan likes this.
  9. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

I wonder if that was a mandate for picking players—no injury history.

10. CloakNNNdagger

Maybe, as pertains only to the DRAFTED players. If so, that would be a big step in the right direction.

11. CloakNNNdagger

I actually came across an old injury report for Crawford in 2017 listing him as a "back injury." But I found a deeply buried reported that stated that he in fact suffered a shoulder injury that 5th game of the 2017 season. He was placed on IR as it required surgery (no more information). But he came back strong in 2018 without apparent ill effects...........earned an impressive 82.4 coverage grade across his 331 coverage snaps in 2018, allowing just 15 receptions from 38 targets for 162 yards and one touchdown in the process. The surgery was most likely labrum repair. If so, this season should yield his optimum recovery performance.

12. CloakNNNdagger

Sorry for this duplicate post [from the UDFA Thread], but I wanted to copy this into the Injury Thread for easier future retrieval.:tiphat:

I was able to find out about Dixon's real story behind his knee issues...........they've always been referred to in general terms as in "repeated injuries." In fact, he began experiencing knee pains in both knees in 2012. Despite long term conservative rehab, these pains gradually increased over time to the point that in 2015, he was unable to continue and was thoroughly worked up orthopedically and found to have a condition of both of his patellar tendons called patellar tendinosis. In the past, it would have been given the name of patellar tendinitis, except that it has been found that this, in most cases is a misnormer, in that this condition does not have an inflammatory origin as would be implied by the suffix "itis" label. Patellar tendinosis is actually degeneration due to chronic microtrauma (little tears which accumulate over time and lead to deterioration of the tendon tissue). The suffix “-osis” more accurately reflects this chronic degenerative pathology. It’s simply a wearing out of the over-stressed tendon. The tendon is most traumatized by repeated jumping (commonly called "jumper's knee, a subject I've addressed here in the past) and by quick directional changes, which could easily explain the condition in a wide receiver.

In mid 2015, he underwent a surgical procedure to address his problem. It entailed making muiltiple small incisions and light scrapings and debridement in both of his diseased patellar tendons in order to promote new blood supply and a naturally healing process that was no longer occurring on its own. During the surgery, they discovered that the articular cartilage on the back side/underside of his patellas (knee caps) were also significantly damaged and irregular in surface with the beginnings of underlying arthritis in these areas and the femoral contact points. Areas of the patellar cartilages required debridement to affect a smoother surface for the patella to glide over the femur.

[​IMG]

Usually in these cases, arthritis will not only form on the patella back/under surface, but also on the abutting femoral bone surface (because the irregularities in the back of the patella would then be constantly grinding the femoral articular surface)

[​IMG]

Arthritis of both articular surfaces (patellar and femoral)

View attachment 4388

[​IMG]

Dixon has continued to deal with increasing arthritis throughout his most recent season. Despite his condition, it appears that up to now, he has been able to fight through it and perform surprisingly well. Hopefully, he can continue his productivity with the Texans. But he is dealing with serious degenerative disease entities...........the big question is, under the circumstances, how long can he continue to be effective.

13. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

@CloakNNNdagger

Karan Higdon claims he went undrafted due to a surgery. Any idea what surgery he had done?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wolver...fted-free-agent-houston-texans-nfl-draft/amp/

“To all my fans and supporters, thank you for supporting me this far. I know a lot of people were looking forward to hearing my name called but unfortunately teams were hesitant due to my surgery! In the end it’s all good because I can’t be stopped. I’ll be headed to the Houston Texans to complete this mission. Stay tuned!”

CWTexansFan and AngryNateFTW like this.
  14. CloakNNNdagger

15. CloakNNNdagger

The only information that is given to the public is in his instagram.
    He never identified what surgery. You won't find it anywhere in print, but he played with bilateral "sports hernias" throughout most of his 2018 season. Early April of this year, after trying to conservatively rehab, he finally decided to undergo repair of the hernias. When you have one on one side, it is being found to be prudent to tighten/repair the other side at the same time (even if it is not symptomatic) since it is so common for one side to be followed relatively quickly by the other side. The thing about sports hernias is that once repaired there is an 85% return to play, most with return with ~10% deficit at 1 year compared to pre-injury level. However, as I have posted in the past, 86% of these have an underlying hip disorder (femoroacetabular impingement) which if repaired (alone many times or) together with sports hernia repair can be expected to attain close to close to 100% return.......with minimal chance of recurrence

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    TheRealJoker and CWTexansFan like this.
  16. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Much has been said here about the team not drafting injured players.

Not as much invested in taking a chance on udfa's with injury concerns.

May pay dividends, may not, but I laud the concept.

We gonna have a rookie mini-camp thread?

:coffee:

17. CloakNNNdagger

Duke Ejiofor has been placed on the reserve/injured list.

18. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Damn..that's starting it early.

Being stashed?

:coffee:

19. CloakNNNdagger

I doubt it. Feb 2018 before joining the Texans, he underwent shoulder labrum surgery. Early Nov last season just before the Bye, he re-injured the shoulder. He missed the next 4 weeks [including the Bye].........tried to come back in limited snaps for the last 4 games of the season plus the playoff game, but was entirely ineffective [being involved in a total of 2 tackles throughout that period]. Since we haven't heard of any recent surgery, it is likely that he is trying to conservatively rehab the shoulder. It must be kept in mind that nonsurgical rehab tends to be indicated typically only in non-throwing and non-contact athletes..............because failure rates are so high otherwise. It would not surprise me if in the future we will be hearing that Ejiofor is scheduled for surgery.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  20. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

He tore his achilles according to Mark Berman.

CWTexansFan and CloakNNNdagger like this.