Injury Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jul 31, 2016.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

State of the Texans‏@SOTTexans

”It’s doing okay, it will be fine by Saturday.” JJ Watt on his right arm issue. Injured it on Sunday vs Jacksonville and now wearing a sleeve today. #Texans[​IMG]⁠ ⁠

[​IMG]

10:14 AM - 1 Jan 2019

Texansphan likes this.
  2. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I realize this may be the case but I sure hope it isn't. I know "it's football" and that's just the way things go sometimes but I really hate to see someone just starting out in their pro career, and with so much potential, only to have it all end so quickly before their first season is even over (see Charles Spencer)! It's just a sad way to go out and I hope it's not the end for Foreman. Hope he can come back next season 100% and give it another shot!

3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

https://footballmaven.io/texans/new...or-the-houston-texans-q-awyu_TpEmVTojkP-ZsWg/

Need all the help we can get. Would be nice to have an underneath option.

JamTex likes this.
  4. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

This is that injury thing (name escapes me) that is the same as Sammy Watkins? Must be mild if he is still playing, but substantial risk increase game after game. Is that correct?

5. CloakNNNdagger

Jones stress fracture. I've posted many posts in this thread about my feeling that this is going on with Hopkins.........and implications. He is apparently handling the pain being fortunate that the fracture has not completed, but would not be surprised if he undergoes surgery in the offseason.

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

Didn't JJo have an issue with this early in his career?

7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Jones Stress Fracture >> Lisfranc

8. CloakNNNdagger

In 2007.
    Depends on type and extent of the Lisfranc. A Lisfranc in general has greater influence on long term effects and production after definitive treatment.

Texas Jake likes this.
  9. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Hopkins reportedly played through a grade III AC sprain, but said it won't require surgery.

Link

10. TejasTom

TejasTom Site Contributor

That’s one tough dude

11. CloakNNNdagger

I would seriously question if this was a Grade III AC shoulder separation. He evidently will not undergo surgery (which is not unusual for even a Grade III........if conservative measures after 3 months fail, then he may be looking at the knife). Understand that in the unlikely event that it were a Grade III, ~20% will have associated intraarticular (joint cartilage) pathology with most of these being superior labrum anterior posterior (SLAP) tears. Loss of the AC joint stability would potentially affect the upper extremity strength by its effect on the stabilization of the scapula (shoulder blade). Next, there is potential that the AC joint remains painful, despite nonoperative management. With the demands on an elite athlete like Hopkins, chronic pain in itself could be a real limiting factor.

Brisco_County likes this.
  12. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Makes sense. I've never heard of an athlete playing through a full AC separation.

13. CloakNNNdagger

Watt underwent surgery on his plateau fracture knee after the end of the season. It has been termed a "successful surgery to clean up an injury that bothered him this past season.".........................code word for removal of damaged articular (joint) cartilage and probably lateral meniscus.

Pertinent, from early posts:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    TheKDog and beerlover like this.
  14. CloakNNNdagger

Justin Reid will be undergoing wrist surgery soon for injuries sustained during the regular season. No other details have been reported. Since he was able to play with the injury without surgery, it basically makes unlikely a wrist fracture or even a ligament severe enough to subsequently require surgery. As, this is something that is a result of injuries (multiple) to the wrist.What seems most likely is cartilaginous damage which requires arthroscopic debridement (could include debridement of minor frayed ligament. If this is the case, Reid should be able to begin OTAs on time.

TheKDog, steelbtexan, DocBar and 3 others like this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

16. CloakNNNdagger

Texans WR Keke Coutee: 'I'm feeling like myself again'
    By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle

Published 10:19 am CST, Thursday, February 14, 2019

***********************************************************************************************

You would certainly expect Coutee to FEEL 100% after resting this amount of time. But until he repeatedly "tests" his hamstring in real game conditions, he will not have any idea of how well his hamstring will hold up. We would all hope that this is the last that he hears from that pesky set of muscles. But realistically, with his history, he is likely to continue to carry signficant risk of reinjury into future seasons.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Doc any thoughts on why K Johnson not cut? The number of concussions even if healthy from other injuries seem to indicate he needs to exit football.

18. CloakNNNdagger

My guess is that the Texans made a mistake picking up the 5th year option and probably are lamenting it, as 2018 was such a "disaster." The Texans can probably still recover from this since as it stands now, his 2019 contract is only guaranteed for injury..............it will not become fully guaranteed unless he is still on the team at the 1st day of the 2019 League year........March 13. I won't be surprised if the Texans drop Johnson before then, as he is no longer considered injured [has been cleared to play]............and thus he can be released simply because he not considered good enough.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

As he has been cleared to play, my understanding is he can be cut/traded now to save his full $9 million?

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  20. CloakNNNdagger

Yes, essentially as I posted...........but a cut must occur by March 13. Finding a trade partner with anyone that has bothered to look closely at Johnson's and the Texans' situation would very much surprise me.