Information from OTAs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, May 18, 2009.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I was reading up on the Texans chat on the official site, and picked up a few tidbits about our OTAs. Post any more information you can find here if you'd like:

On linebacker competition:
    On Dunta
    On the Rookies
    On Dan O
    On who was there
    On the Running backs

more here: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

I bolded the parts I found interesting. Especially that she said Diles was the most consistent player on the entire defense. That speaks volumes about that guy.

Brando likes this.
  2. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

i thought it was noteworthy to point out that Travis Johnson is not expected to be in the starting rotation. Bentley mentions that he's out with an injury but she made it seem as though even if he was healthy he's not in the starting rotation. It was more noteworthy that it seemed as a surprise to her. It's the first day of OTA's but hey, we're starving here. Glad Dan 'O is looking big and strong. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Also, noted that Ferguson is still starting at SS not Barber.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Thanks. From all the positive comments recently, I think linebacker should be a strong point this year. I'm interest in how Chaun Thompson does.

I hope Foster and Moats really step up.

4. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Thompson will be hard pressed to get on the field. He's lights out on special teams though. But it may be a casualty due to too much depth. Bentley can play all three positions, so can Diles, DeMeco, Cushing and Adibi aren't going anywhere due to contracts and age. Chaun may miss the boat, or maybe June.

5. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I like that we're already seeing Caldwell getting reps, and concentrating at center. I suspect if Caldwell continues to impress Myers might be in a camp battle for the starting spot. Either way looks like we've got some depth possibly at guard or center. I loved the Caldwell pick once they called his name.

Got killer depth at LB and looking forward to camp battle for the WLB spot. If Adibi can stay healthy I like his chances and his speed. I'd really love to see 3 LBers on the the roster for once who can run sideline to sideline.

If Hill can catch the ball well enough I wonder what our chances are this year of running a few plays out of a 2 TE set.

6. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I'd say the chances are very high, because if my memory serves me correctly, we used a 2 TE set a few times last year.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Why would you even say anything like that? Pretty women can't like football?

I actually used to think the same way, but Suzy Kolberg(sp) changed my mind. It's possible that a good looking woman can be "involved" with the sport.

9. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

With the type of TEs we've brought in, i.e., TEs that can block, catch, play FB/H-back, and even throw, it wouldn't surprise me to occasionally see 3 of those placed amongst Schaub, Leach and Slaton(or his compliment)...............without telegraphing "pass" or "run." Talk about wreaking strategic havoc.:texflag:

10. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

I was liking her in those workout shorts in the video with Dan O! :drool: Giggidy.

I think she has some good knowledge and is willing to listen to the fans questions.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Any reason to say this other than to be sexist?

12. mexican_texan

I hear her on the podcasts and on all those videos on the main site and never really heard much of an opinion from her or an analysis of some sort. Mostly fluff pieces.

13. kozanack

kozanack Rookie

Reporters state the facts. Columnists and commentators provide opinions. I doubt that the Texans would ever have a columnist or commentator on staff because they would come across as a propagandist.

14. Dapper

Dapper Veteran

Someone please tell me Chris Brown was on the field today. Dude owes us whatever he has left. I'm hoping he can contribute this year. I like his size.

15. mexican_texan

I can't find anything else on OTA's. I've been waiting for this day for weeks, there has to be more somewhere.

16. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'll tell you that she probably knows more about football and the Texans than most of the people on this message board.

I've been impressed with her interviews of players. If she doesn't KNOW the material she's presenting... she has an uncanny ability to memorize facts, figures, ideas, etc. and convey them in a convincing manner. I'd rather read the transcripts of what she says during interviews than read what 90% of the people on these boards have to offer concerning the Texans.

FACT. :)

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

But she does need to be careful about keeping that site G rated, we don't want any rumors being spread around the NFL about our players/coaches! :splits:

18. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Sounds more like the Titans QB and centers .

False Start likes this.
  19. mexican_texan

Interviews aren't spontaneous at all. For a simple piece for the school paper, I had to read the press release over and over and do a lot of research. For someone getting paid to do interviews, she either does a lot of research or has someone write up questions depending on how strict the editor is.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

They hired the coaching staff to break down the cover 2 defense.

They hired Bentley and Brandimere to pass along team-related information to the fans.

I imagine its some of both.

Last edited: May 18, 2009