Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans. 10/8. 7:20. CBS/NFLN. **Official ALDS Gameday Thread**

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Tonight the team unleashes its before hidden powerful offense and smothering defense. :wow:

Just waiting for its first conference game to put it all on display and get it on tape. :taz:

Or we could just lay another egg. idonno:

One of the boss's best friends will be on the field tonight with the cancer survivors. I think she will be a flag bearer. She is really excited.

She might lose her sanity if JJ comes anywhere near her. :heart:

:coffee:

The egg wins out.

Blake

MMQB
How do you lose to the Colts at home with Hasselbeck?

This team continues to mystify me. They should all be embarrassed.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'd be ok with Mallet continuing to start if our defense could stop somebody which would give him and the offense extra possessions to execute BoB's plan of wearing down the defense with the run and short throws to control the clock...but we don't have that. Personally, I've seen enough of him and his dirt balls/high hard ones to be about 95% sure he's not the guy; & if the stark contrast in how Hoyer operated the offense in getting it downfield vs. Mallet struggling to consistently place the ball in catchable spots wasn't enough to convince you, Just look at how many throws over 20 yds he's completed in the air..Is it even more than like 4 or something? I wanna say in the Colts game Hoyer completed more than that in like 1 half. This isn't to say that I believe Hoyer's great I, just like i've always thought, they're the same guy just with different glaring weaknesses...except 1 guys' weakness arises every so often whereas the others arises every damn time

At the season's outset, i think Bob correctly chose Hoyer over Mallet b/c he felt like he could better control Hoyer's vapor lock than Mallet's accuracy issues. Easier to control the occasional brain farts than it is to control accuracy issues that arise every damn time a guy drops back to pass which at Mallet's rate is around 30 plays a game.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
At the season's outset, i think Bob correctly chose Hoyer over Mallet b/c he felt like he could better control Hoyer's vapor lock than Mallet's accuracy issues. Easier to control the occasional brain farts than it is to control accuracy issues that arise every damn time a guy drops back to pass which at Mallet's rate is around 30 plays a game.
The troublesome fact is that O'Brien didn't think Hoyer had vapor lock issues at all; he believed that Hoyer was good enough to be a franchise QB. The severity of that delusion alone should justify O'Brien's exit from the organization.

Tania Ganguli on 8/3 quoting O'Brien:

"I read. I understand what’s written out there and you know, sometimes it pisses me off," O’Brien said Sunday. "These are two guys that are good quarterbacks that have played in this league. They work very hard. They’re out here busting there ass everyday to get better and I think the city of Houston should be proud of both of them and I think the media should understand that these guys can play."
Then the nation got to see him on Hard Knocks emphatically state that "Those are two good quarterbacks out there!"

The only thing more embarrassing would be to allow someone that deluded to remain here another season.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The troublesome fact is that O'Brien didn't think Hoyer had vapor lock issues at all; he believed that Hoyer was good enough to be a franchise QB. The severity of that delusion alone should justify O'Brien's exit from the organization.

Tania Ganguli on 8/3 quoting O'Brien:

Then the nation got to see him on Hard Knocks emphatically state that "Those are two good quarterbacks out there!"

The only thing more embarrassing would be to allow someone that deluded to remain here another season.

ehh, unless you have a direct quote from OB saying that he could be a franchise qb, i ain't buying it. The Hard Knocks stuff you gotta take with a grain of salt. What is he supposed to say.." Both of them suck, but i'm at least gonna give them both a chance ".

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This isn't to say that I believe Hoyer's great I, just like i've always thought, they're the same guy just with different glaring weaknesses...except 1 guys' weakness arises every so often whereas the others arises every damn time

In his good games, Mallett is completing more than 60% of his passes, personally I think the accuracy thing is overblown. The trick is for O'Brien to figure out how to get more good games out of him than bad. It's the same with any inexperienced player.

I thinkit was Parcells who said you need 16 games to truly evaluate a QB. Of course some guys are so bad they don't deserve 16 games. I don't think Mallett is one of those.

He looked good to me. All the physical tools, several intangibles. He demonstrated a working knowledge of the offense. Enough to build on.

Hoyer may be the better QB now. He may very well be better than Winston, right now. I don't think that will be true by week10... maybe 12, definitely not by next September. I think it's the same for Mallett. We don't know how good he's going to be after 10 starts & it's foolish for us to not find out.

You want to know how to find a franchise QB? Drafting in the first round is definitely part of the process. Leaving no stone unturned helps as well. Looking under the same rock (Hoyer) again & again doesn't.

He completed 77% of his passes against Indy. If he can do similarly over the next three games, I'll admit I am wrong & maybe there's more growth to be had. But I've already seen four games where he looked like a scared little girl. I just don't see coaching that out of a player.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
In his good games, Mallett is completing more than 60% of his passes, personally I think the accuracy thing is overblown. The trick is for O'Brien to figure out how to get more good games out of him than bad. It's the same with any inexperienced player.

I thinkit was Parcells who said you need 16 games to truly evaluate a QB. Of course some guys are so bad they don't deserve 16 games. I don't think Mallett is one of those.

He looked good to me. All the physical tools, several intangibles. He demonstrated a working knowledge of the offense. Enough to build on.

Hoyer may be the better QB now. He may very well be better than Winston, right now. I don't think that will be true by week10... maybe 12, definitely not by next September. I think it's the same for Mallett. We don't know how good he's going to be after 10 starts & it's foolish for us to not find out.

You want to know how to find a franchise QB? Drafting in the first round is definitely part of the process. Leaving no stone unturned helps as well. Looking under the same rock (Hoyer) again & again doesn't.

He completed 77% of his passes against Indy. If he can do similarly over the next three games, I'll admit I am wrong & maybe there's more growth to be had. But I've already seen four games where he looked like a scared little girl. I just don't see coaching that out of a player.
His good games would be what Cleveland last year and TB this year? It's no conicidence that despite throwing it 30+ times, he passed for less than 250 yds....which suggests he's not pushing it downfield at all. It's also not a coincidence that in both games, he was carried by the run game....Alfred Blue in both games as a matter of fact. Coincidence? Probably not. In both games he's only showed game manager potential b/c that's all he was in his "good" games. When the games have been on his shoulders, he's largely failed......miserably in fact.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
His good games would be what Cleveland last year and TB this year? It's no conicidence that despite throwing it 30+ times, he passed for less than 250 yds....which suggests he's not pushing it downfield at all. It's also not a coincidence that in both games, he was carried by the run game....Alfred Blue in both games as a matter of fact. Coincidence? Probably not. In both games he's only showed game manager potential b/c that's all he was in his "good" games. When the games have been on his shoulders, he's largely failed......miserably in fact.
He looked good to me. I thought he demonstrated a solid foundation to build upon. Would have been great if he came out like Kurt Warner in St. Louis. But that's the exception, not the rule.

& I'm not looking for him to be the future, or our franchise QB. I'm just looking for someone who won't lose us games. He doesn't appear to panic under pressure. He shows a good understanding of the offense. & he can make every throw.

& this is in comparison to our other QB. Hoyer will sht the bed when we see a decent pass rush.

I wasn't too impressed with his low ypa, or with the number of balls he threw away. I was hoping those would be things he would approve upon over 15 games. Like most inexperienced QBs. I know he's not a rookie, but it's obvious the game hasn't slowed down for him yet. I was willing to wait & see what happens when it does.

& one more thing. I hope we never have to find out, but I doubt we'd win a game without Arian with Hoyer under center. Mallett's already done it twice (granted, against the Browns & the Bucs)... Carried by Blue... right. I don't think Blue can carry Hoyer to a win.