Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

In support of Case...

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
In air flight, started and ended 2yards off the right hash mark, so a straight line. Left his hand on the Texans 41 and received at the Falcons 14 = 47 yards in the air, so virtually identical other than be slightly over thrown. Very slightly.
Right. Also, we must be watching two different videos, as TJ is behind the Texans 40 yard mark in the video I posted.

Remind me, did Case throw his pass against a starting NFL defense?

waynegg

Waterboy
Right.

Remind me, did Case throw his pass against a starting NFL defense?
Mostly (cowboys, not dolphins). The cover man wasn't. Doesn't change the accuracy or the length of the pass. He got it off in 2 seconds and our offensive line is keeping the defense off schaub for 3+seconds 98% of the time.

Yeah, I crunch numbers all game long.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Mostly (cowboys, not dolphins). The cover man wasn't. Doesn't change the accuracy or the length of the pass. He got it off in 2 seconds and our offensive line is keeping the defense off schaub for 3+seconds 98% of the time.

Yeah, I crunch numbers all game long.
It was a pretty pass, I'm not arguing that. It's not what TJ Yates can do, though.

Also, as I edited my post to reflect earlier... the LOS was the Texans 41 and TJ threw behind at the 38, possibly the 39.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Sigh. Well, whatever the truth is (and it'll only be known once Keenum has been in the real game), it'll hopefully come out. That's why I want him to start. We can figure out what we have, and whether or not it's what we thought it was all along (Case is a backup) or that Case is the second coming of Tom Brady. I'm fine with either option.

Public announcement: Case turns out to be that guy, I get a Keenum jersey at the end of the year and post pics. I'll gladly eat crow if he's that person, because it means good things for the team. In my opinion, though, he's not that guy.

waynegg

Waterboy
Sigh. Well, whatever the truth is (and it'll only be known once Keenum has been in the real game), it'll hopefully come out. That's why I want him to start. We can figure out what we have, and whether or not it's what we thought it was all along (Case is a backup) or that Case is the second coming of Tom Brady. I'm fine with either option.

Public announcement: Case turns out to be that guy, I get a Keenum jersey at the end of the year and post pics. I'll gladly eat crow if he's that person, because it means good things for the team. In my opinion, though, he's not that guy.
Same deal with TJ from me!

waynegg

Waterboy
so if schaub turn it around and gets us to the playoffs and more noone will buy his jersey?

poor matt :bored:
Charcoal is cheaper and flavors the meat better. This isn't schaub's first year to suck. Nothing would aggravate me more than for him to turn it around at this point, because they'd probably up his contract and we'd have unfortold more years of mediocrity.

Texn4life

All Pro
I think at some point the Texans have to find out whether the QB of the future is on the team this year going into the draft. You don't want to waste a pick if you don't need one so Yates or Keenum need to be given a real shot. I'm not a Yates fan, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Case intrigues me so I'd like to see some of him too. If Schaub keeps throwing away games then we'll be out of playoff contention soon anyway.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/4/2610431/texans-vs-falcons-andre-johnson-grabs-a-50-yard-bomb-sets-up-t-j/in/2374119
The video of the pass I'm referring to.

Also, Waynegg, what on earth are you talking about?
I remember that. Nice pass and thanks for the link. Never get tired of seeing stuff like that.

Having said that if you don't think Keenum could make that same throw you're just not paying attention or being intentionally obtuse because you got a problem with the boy.

I got a UH avatar on because I'm a fan of Keenum but I really don't care which one starts Sunday as long as it isn't Matt.

Last edited:
Accuracy =/= arm, see Joe Flacco. I like Keenum's decision making and accuracy. However, in many of his college highlight reels, he was throwing to wide open WRs. I don't think our WRs here are going to be that open.
You start making defenses worry about us going deep then more open guys will be noticed. Right now they don't and don't have to play much man just an under zone because they know we will go deep one time a game as it stands now.

Also if you watch Keenum does not focus on one guy during the play. He finds the open guy.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
SMH!!!

This coming from someone that enjoyed all 16 years Case spent at UH!

Case looked great against 3rd teamers with teams showing "vanilla" defenses.

The negative aside, those that criticize Case for being a "system QB" and has a "weak arm" are full of shyte!! Case can make any throw needed.

Is he ready to be "the Guy"??? Hell no!! NOT NO, BUT HELL NO!!!!

That said, I like him on this roster.

AND Maybe........... Just maybe, someday!!

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think Kubiak is going with the QB he thinks will offer best chance to win and worry about future QB later. If MS does not get better Gary can then use last half of season to try out Keenum and Yates.

Its taken me awhile to come to this but I can no longer see a light at the end of the Matt Schaub tunnel. I am endorsing change in the form of Case Keenum, who seems to be the only QB on the roster who has any chance of being a true game changer. In that spirit, I have now changed my avatar to reflect Case's alma mater, who is with me?
I see a light at the end of Matt's tunnel and it's a train to get his sorry carcase out of this city...

I would like to see what Keenum could do with the starters. I already know what Yates can do but I think Keenum wold be that spsrk plug the team needs...

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Tania Ganguli ‏@taniaganguli 1h
Shane Lechler will be the #Texans emergency QB with Owen Daniels out. "Or I might go in there, how about that?" Kubiak says.

TX Cleaver ‏@TXCleaver 19m
If I'm reading these tweets right, the Texans QB depth chart used to be Schaub, Yates, Daniels, Lechler, Keenum.
Kubiak trolling the entire Texans fan base. Why even carry 3 QBs then?

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Kubiak trolling the entire Texans fan base. Why even carry 3 QBs then?
If Keenum is inactive, then Daniels would go in after Yates. If Keenum is active, Daniels would go in after Keenum.

Schaub Yates Keenum OD Lechler. Nothing to see here, carry on.

9baller

Practice Squad
If Keenum is inactive, then Daniels would go in after Yates. If Keenum is active, Daniels would go in after Keenum.

Schaub Yates Keenum OD Lechler. Nothing to see here, carry on.
I thought that there is a rule that says if your #1 and #2 QBs are injured your #3 can play even if he isn't on the gameday roster. Or am I wrong on this?

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
I thought that there is a rule that says if your #1 and #2 QBs are injured your #3 can play even if he isn't on the gameday roster. Or am I wrong on this?
Uh... not sure. I remember people saying during the SF game that if Schaub and Yates were both knocked out Owen Daniels would have been QB

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
It is in Kubiaks best interest to play Case now. If he throws TJ out there now and he struggles the record get worse and the playoffs are gone. Right now we are 2-3 and still in the thick of it.

You play Case after the record is shot and he plays good the pundits will be screaming "Why did you wait?". Play him now and he struggles you still have TJ but at the same time you shut up the redbloods. If he plays good Kubiak looks like a "smart guy".

It really would be a win win for Gary.

waynegg

Waterboy
It is in Kubiaks best interest to play Case now. If he throws TJ out there now and he struggles the record get worse and the playoffs are gone. Right now we are 2-3 and still in the thick of it.

You play Case after the record is shot and he plays good the pundits will be screaming "Why did you wait?". Play him now and he struggles you still have TJ but at the same time you shut up the redbloods. If he plays good Kubiak looks like a "smart guy".

Winthread +1 internet for you

Texn4life

All Pro

You definitely have a really good point. I think Schaub has 1 more bad game left in him. But I don't think Kubiak has the balls to make that big of a move.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You definitely have a really good point. I think Schaub has 1 more bad game left in him. But I don't think Kubiak has the balls to make that big of a move.
The ballsy thing to do is to stick with Schaub... much like McNair sticking with Kubiak after 6-10.

Starting Case would be the easy thing. Expectations would be dropped accordingly. If we were to make the play-offs, even 1 & done might be celebrated depending on Keenum's perceived ceiling.

If Kubiak's job was not on the line after 3 straight losses, it is now that he's decided to stay with Matt.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
The ballsy thing to do is to stick with Schaub... much like McNair sticking with Kubiak after 6-10.

Starting Case would be the easy thing. Expectations would be dropped accordingly. If we were to make the play-offs, even 1 & done might be celebrated depending on Keenum's perceived ceiling.

If Kubiak's job was not on the line after 3 straight losses, it is now that he's decided to stay with Matt.
Should have been more clear: based on how Matt plays vs. the Rams. Personally, if the Texans win but Matt plays like bull dung then he needs to be benched

Texn4life

All Pro

Sorry, but I disagree. It would be flat out stupid to stick with Schaub with a roster like this...... Not ballsy. Going with a second year undrafted QB while the team still has a chance for the playoffs? That takes guts. It would be easy and obvious for Kubiak to go with Yates if he makes the switch. Uncle Bob was the one who backed Kubiak and Schaub after his surgery and gave him a new contract so it would be easy for him to let Kubiak off the hook for sticking with him.

bckey

All Pro
The keenum bandwagon is crazy and the kubiak hate is at a all time high. I won't bring still pics like 76Texan do because he's a lot better at that than I am. I will say that if you watch the all 22 you will see matt isn't even reading coverage. He's been like this for awhile as other have pointed out with the target ratio to andre and daniels. Matt isn't even looking at hopkins or martin or anyone else not name andre or one of the slow ass te's. There are plays out thereand he refuses to make them.

In regards to the case bandwagon,I hate to say it again and again. Case does not have a nfl arm imo and what I've seen in camp. When I watched him on the sideline throwing the ball, he has no pop or velocity on the ball. Yes he's more mobile than matt,that's not saying much,but teams would play him the same way as schaub because he can't threaten the field outside the numbers. I've had this discussion before and people will bring up the preseason sideline throw to martin or jean. Good accurate throw,that was a good shot play. In the real season,teams are gonna make him drive the ball outside. Which his not capable of doing. I'm just saying.

Absolute bull****.
QFT

panamamyers

Waterboy
That used to be the rule. Last year they changed it to make that 46th active roster spot permanent and you could decide whether to carry the third qb or not.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Case Keenums best attribute is his ball placement. It's the one thing that shines far above Schaub and Yates.
I'd like to see it against NFL starters in a game that counts. Leading a receiver is fine, but an inch too much, an inch too high & it could be an interception.

Case is going to have to adjust his game to "real" NFL speed, there's no way around it. From reading a defense, going through his progressions, leading a receiver & most importantly, shaking off a bad play.

No doubt the future looks promising, but even in Matt's slump, he's doing these things pretty well. We might not like the way it looks, but take away the INTs & he's doing a good job. Not great.... I know it. But you don't throw away "good" for what "might be" great.

That would have been like Harbaugh switching Smith for Kaepernick without ever seeing Collin in a real game. It didn't happen. We don't know if it would have happened if Alex threw 9 INTs in 5 games. We think it would have, but we don't know that.

& I know you can't say, "Take away the INTs..." they happened, I know they happened. That's not the point.

Keenum will get his shot. There's a reason they put him on the active roster. I would have done swapped them by now, but the Texans have a plan & they decided to stick with that plan for now.

cstyle42

Rookie
I'd like to see it against NFL starters in a game that counts. Leading a receiver is fine, but an inch too much, an inch too high & it could be an interception.

Case is going to have to adjust his game to "real" NFL speed, there's no way around it. From reading a defense, going through his progressions, leading a receiver & most importantly, shaking off a bad play.

No doubt the future looks promising, but even in Matt's slump, he's doing these things pretty well. We might not like the way it looks, but take away the INTs & he's doing a good job. Not great.... I know it. But you don't throw away "good" for what "might be" great.

That would have been like Harbaugh switching Smith for Kaepernick without ever seeing Collin in a real game. It didn't happen. We don't know if it would have happened if Alex threw 9 INTs in 5 games. We think it would have, but we don't know that.

& I know you can't say, "Take away the INTs..." they happened, I know they happened. That's not the point.

Keenum will get his shot. There's a reason they put him on the active roster. I would have done swapped them by now, but the Texans have a plan & they decided to stick with that plan for now.

Matt Schaub knows that better than any other quarterback in nfl history.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

This theory all rides in the assumption that Case will play well. What happens if he comes in now, plays poorly, and we lose the next 3-4 games due to poor QB play? But then TJ comes in and plays well to end the season?

I'll tell you what will happen. Kubiak will get fired, and Keenum's chances as a future starter in this league will be long gone.

legacy_gt

Rookie
case is 3rd. schaub is our savior when he gets his mind back. we'll all be chanting superbowl again. you guys wait. go schaub!

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
This theory all rides in the assumption that Case will play well. What happens if he comes in now, plays poorly, and we lose the next 3-4 games due to poor QB play? But then TJ comes in and plays well to end the season?

I'll tell you what will happen. Kubiak will get fired, and Keenum's chances as a future starter in this league will be long gone.
Nah, because kubiak would get a job somewhere overnight and take keenum with him. Only then would we find out case is montana 2.0. Yeah, i'm that glass half empty guy.

legacy_gt

Rookie
I guarantee matt schaub will have a break out game playing a complete game plus everyone talking about superbowl again. book it!

don't worry, case will start in 2015.

Texn4life

All Pro
I said it in this thread earlier. Yates is not the answer. There may not be any QB on our roster that's the answer considering the way that all 3 phases played today, but Kubiak has to think about playing Case right now. Just do something!