Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

In support of Case...

As I said in another thread, I think Case Keenum gives us the best shot at providing the leadership/spark we need to turn this around. GK let's do it brother, it can't be any worse and at least it should be entertaining.

I don't think I can watch another game of Schaub playing a wet noodle when a defensive player's shadow is close to him. The dude has lost his confidence and it's really sad to see him on the field. GK, have pity on the man. Smith should trade him to CLE, BUFF or wherever for whatever. Maybe a fresh start will help his mental state.

Go Case!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
nah, yates doesnt have keenum's feel for the QB position. Yates has many deer in the headlights looks and locks on to one receiver far too often. Yates also struggles in the poise department. Complete opposite of Case who has all the intangibles in his favor. Yates does have a slightly stronger arm but case is much accurate than yates and has better ball placement.
Wow...you got all that from preseason games huh?

Come On Breh

Waterboy
Wow...you got all that from preseason games huh?
no, i got it from watching all of TJ yates games as starter including this preseason along with some of keenum's games his last couple years in houston along with his preseason play. Yates has accuracy problem, you can see that with his propensity to throw high and not being able to read WR progressions fast enough. Case excells at WR progressions because he worked with a spread offense with multiple receivers.

have you found that post of your you claim was saying the same thing i was saying or are you still putting up a charade?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
no, i got it from watching all of TJ yates games as starter including this preseason along with some of keenum's games his last couple years in houston along with his preseason play. Yates has accuracy problem, you can see that with his propensity to throw high and not being able to read WR progressions fast enough. Case excells at WR progressions because he worked with a spread offense with multiple receivers.

have you found that post of your you claim was saying the same thing i was saying or are you still putting up a charade?
U still trying to beat your chest thinking u came up with some grand revelation that anyone with any common sense and knowledge of the team couldn't put together?

Lol, you're downplaying yates' abilities, nfl experience and accomplishments in favor of a guy who hasnt even taken a regular season snap at qb in the nfl.

1 guy led this team to playoffs in a pressure packed situation, has 1 playoff win under his belt and performed admirably as a rookie pressed into action at the last 2nd......the other guy just made the active roster......Yeah....and this great analysis is based on a few college football games and preseason games to boot.

Tell me how im supposed to take u serious as a knowledgable football head again?

Stop stalking me "breh"... You're only gonna keep making youself look silly.

Come On Breh

Waterboy
U still trying to beat your chest thinking u came up with some grand revelation that anyone with any common sense and knowledge of the team couldn't put together?

Lol, you're downplaying yates' abilities, nfl experience and accomplishments in favor of a guy who hasnt even taken a regular season snap at qb in the nfl.

1 guy led this team to playoffs in a pressure packed situation, has 1 playoff win under his belt and performed admirably as a rookie pressed into action at the last 2nd......the other guy just made the active roster......Yeah....and this great analysis is based on a few college football games and preseason games to boot.

Tell me how im supposed to take u serious as a knowledgable football head again?

Stop stalking me "breh"... You're only gonna keep making youself look silly.

lol at tj yates leading the team. The defense and running game led that team. You sure do like to reach huh?

anybody can pull up that thread and see your pathetic ducking and dodging not answering the question, going straight for the personal insults.

and lol at calling me a stalker, says the stalker. I admire your dishonesty and gall to accuse someone of the things you were actually doing.

Karl Rove and george bush re election campaign are quite proud of you.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yeah...b/c he didn't make plays in that bengals regular season game....and he didnt lead that game winning drive against the Bengals in the regular season to get us in the playoffs.....:rolleyes:

he may not have led in the traditional sense, but he stepped up and made plays and led when he had to...which is all the team needed him to do at that point....and like i said, he was a rookie....

In any event, it's still more than Keenum has done to this point.

Lol at me reaching. How am i reaching when i'm basing my analysis of the situation on something someone has actually done in the actual setting and you're basing yours off amatuer play and what can only be described as "simulations"?

Come On Breh

Waterboy
my god that offensive line was horrible yet he still made amazing plays. More than half of those plays schaub could not have pulled off.

Yeah...b/c he didn't make plays in that bengals regular season game....and he didnt lead that game winning drive against the Bengals in the regular season to get us in the playoffs.....:rolleyes:

he may not have led in the traditional sense, but he stepped up and made plays and led when he had to...which is all the team needed him to do at that point....and like i said, he was a rookie....

In any event, it's still more than Keenum has done to this point.

Lol at me reaching. How am i reaching when i'm basing my analysis of the situation on something someone has actually done in the actual setting and you're basing yours off amatuer play and what can only be described as "simulations"?
look at you, dont even have the balls to quote me. its like kubiak not having balls to look at crucial field goal kicks. im done embarrassing you. Again, please stop stalking me.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You know you got it bad when your third string QB is the most popular player in town.

legacy_gt

Rookie
He wont. Some of you are thinking he is Brady 2.0.That type of situation happens once in a lifetime. Ill go with the odds.
having someone even become an effective backup and being someone in the NFL is quiet different than not being anything at all.

who said he was brady? even case fans aren't claiming that. if case put up numbers from your college, you'd be a case bandwagon fan. at this point, we just want someone better than today's Schaub.

legacy_gt

Rookie
He wont. Some of you are thinking he is Brady 2.0.That type of situation happens once in a lifetime. Ill go with the odds.
well you're already kinda wrong, cuz he's on the team and not on the practice squad. plus he's making more money than last year. and he'll one day start. I'll go with those odds.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
well you're already kinda wrong, cuz he's on the team and not on the practice squad. plus he's making more money than last year. and he'll one day start. I'll go with those odds.
What on earth makes you think this? If Kubiak does bench Schaub, it'll be Yates who takes the start. And unless Yates pulls a Leinart, Keenum won't get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sA-pWv9sc

^ have we forgotten this already? Keep in mind had Jacoby not been held, that ball was placed 100% perfectly for a TD pass. No way Matt Schaub makes that accurate of a pass.

legacy_gt

Rookie
What on earth makes you think this? If Kubiak does bench Schaub, it'll be Yates who takes the start. And unless Yates pulls a Leinart, Keenum won't get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6sA-pWv9sc

^ have we forgotten this already? Keep in mind had Jacoby not been held, that ball was placed 100% perfectly for a TD pass. No way Matt Schaub makes that accurate of a pass.
i'm not talking about now. if anything I think MS will get the start.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
i'm not talking about now. if anything I think MS will get the start.
Okay, even then... what makes you think he'll be anything better than a good backup? College highlights against (who was that, Rice?) inferior competition?

I think Case Keenum has shown me enough to be at most 2b to TJ Yates' 2a. However, since the Case lobby here has been calling for him to start, I have too, because if he does have the magical unseen talent he'll win us games and I will be happy, and if he sucks the Case lobby will quiet down and I'll be happy.

legacy_gt

Rookie
Okay, even then... what makes you think he'll be anything better than a good backup? College highlights against (who was that, Rice?) inferior competition?

I think Case Keenum has shown me enough to be at most 2b to TJ Yates' 2a. However, since the Case lobby here has been calling for him to start, I have too, because if he does have the magical unseen talent he'll win us games and I will be happy, and if he sucks the Case lobby will quiet down and I'll be happy.
you want to go back to college? what his last game against a top 5 defense in penn st was murdered. at this point, college is irrelevant.

Kubiak has always said great things about Keenum. He's got better footwork, reads on defenses, better arm, killer instinct, more accurate than today's schaub. Case is also a winner. There is no unseen talent, there's a reason why he was kept on the team and not sent to the practice squad.

legacy_gt

Rookie

looking at your stats. you like the aggies?

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
you want to go back to college? what his last game against a top 5 defense in penn st was murdered. at this point, college is irrelevant.

Kubiak has always said great things about Keenum. He's got better footwork, reads on defenses, better arm, killer instinct, more accurate than today's schaub. Case is also a winner. There is no unseen talent, there's a reason why he was kept on the team and not sent to the practice squad.
I find these two statements hard to reconcile, given that Keenum has never played a regular season game. If college is irrelevant, how was he a winner?

legacy_gt

Rookie
I'm an A&M student.
I ask because for many years (07), I've watched coach sumlin talk big things about Case. Many many interviews on how Case is going to make an impact on the NFL. He is a reason why Case was successful and broke almost every NCAA record.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Many of you have already seen this, but it needs to linked in this thread too. It's Skip Bayless -- who I normally disagree with -- delivering a nearly perfect argument for why Keenum should be started over Yates. He also acknowledges the unlikelihood of it happening.

Start at 4:40, though the entire thing is worth watching.

Link.

legacy_gt

Rookie
I find these two statements hard to reconcile, given that Keenum has never played a regular season game. If college is irrelevant, how was he a winner?
you made a statement about competition (Rice). I made a comment about his last game which was a SEC opponent. that's all. do the research yourself.

phantom17

Rookie
I would like to see Case start! I didn't like T.J. last week. IMO, Schaub will continue to regress & should be cut next season. The Schaub era is done, unfortunately. Immobile QB with a noodle arm doesn't belong in the NFL! :kubepalm:

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
you made a statement about competition (Rice). I made a comment about his last game which was a SEC opponent. that's all. do the research yourself.
Penn St.?

Regardless, taking into account Brisco's video, the reasons offered by Skip Bayless are precisely why I want Keenum to start. I don't see it. I'm sorry, but I just don't. I see good decision making and several other good skills, but quite a few knocks as well. But if he really and truly does have what UH and Case fans have been making such noise about, it'll show. If he doesn't, we're no worse off than we were before.

It's just my opinion that at the end of the day, Keenum won't be the savior everyone thinks he is. Do I want him to be? Sure. If Keenum took this team around to the playoffs you bet I'll buy a Keenum jersey. Will he be? Don't think so.

legacy_gt

Rookie
Penn St.?

Regardless, taking into account Brisco's video, the reasons offered by Skip Bayless are precisely why I want Keenum to start. I don't see it. I'm sorry, but I just don't. I see good decision making and several other good skills, but quite a few knocks as well. But if he really and truly does have what UH and Case fans have been making such noise about, it'll show. If he doesn't, we're no worse off than we were before.

It's just my opinion that at the end of the day, Keenum won't be the savior everyone thinks he is. Do I want him to be? Sure. If Keenum took this team around to the playoffs you bet I'll buy a Keenum jersey. Will he be? Don't think so.
you can read the other thread on johhny vs case. very interesting. even comparing how case's stats were better than manziel against bcs teams.

i'm not saying case will be the savior today, but I hope one day he gets a shot. and when he does, I know he'll make a lot more people believers. until then, it's all open.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
this is a complete myth. there are many that have witnessed during preseason and practice, including the coach, that keenum's arm strength is fine. among the 3, case has a stronger arm than both tj and schaub.

you want to see a bad arm these days, look at matt. I've never seen such bad velocity and easy reads in my support for MS all these years.
TJ has the best arm of the 3 and its not even close.

waynegg

Waterboy
Schaub's outta the picture.....i get that

what you're not taking into account is that most of these new age qb's who aren't being sheltered are 1st round talents.....i.e. guys that have their coaches pressed by fans & owners more often than not to mold their offenses to thier skill sets...the lone exceptions are Wilson & Kaepernick. And as much as a game changer Keenum has the potential to be, does anyone think Kubiak is gonna mold or change his offense to fully take advantage of Keenum's abilities? Nope. If he were the heir apparent to Drew Brees in that system....i'd agree with you. That's the type of system he comes from & Peyton would be sure to carry him & adapt...here with this coaching staff...nope.

Lastly, people keep saying the bolded but the new rules & the explosion of offense still aren't preventing qb's from failing at about the same clips as they were back when young guys were primarily sheltered. See Newton, Bradford....Weeden.

Apart from that....what's the rush? Rodgers sat on the bench for like 3-4 years before he got his shot..I think we all agree that it worked out okay for the Pack & Rodgers had immensely more talent than Keenum when he came out.

See Warner

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
See Warner
Not sure what you're saying here...warner got his shot by default...green went down with an injury and warner was pressed into duty...ok it worked out for him....but tell the whole story....warner had been cut by like 3-4 teams and was bagging groceries before he got his shot with the rams.....playing the percentages, he's also likely the exception, not the rule when it comes to these situations..

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
Please go watch Keemun before saying stuff like that. Keemun is by far a more prolific passer then Yates. He will attempt to put passes in windows that Yates wouldn't think about trying.
Accuracy =/= arm, see Joe Flacco. I like Keenum's decision making and accuracy. However, in many of his college highlight reels, he was throwing to wide open WRs. I don't think our WRs here are going to be that open.

I seem to recall a TJ Yates pass thrown in the game against Atlanta where he threw one to Andre where the CB was glued all over him to Andre's 5 o'clock but the ball was placed within arm's extent of Andre's 10 o'clock. There was no way the CB could get his hands on it. That was perfect ball placement.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Please go watch Keemun before saying stuff like that. Keemun is by far a more prolific passer then Yates. He will attempt to put passes in windows that Yates wouldn't think about trying.
Yeah...you know who else does that? Jay Cutler....that's not always a good thing bro..

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
As I stated before, I'm at camp on the sidelines while all 3 qbs are doing mirror drills. The velocity of yates balls was far and away superior to schaub and case. After practice,I was with pat kirwan and wilcots when they were doing the interviews for sirius. Met jj,schaub,meyers,quiz,j-joe and the who crew. Kirwan and wilcots said they didn't know yates arm was that much stronger than the other guys.

Does that mean tj is the answer?No,I simply stated that when you're trying to open up the offense and make the defense defend more of the field, tj has the arm to do it. Not to mention when pressed into duty without andre he played ok and made some plays.

waynegg

Waterboy
TJ irrefutably has the arm, but that's not the entire equation is it? It means nothing if you can chunk a pig downfield 80 yards if the pass isn't accurate. That more than anything is what puts Keenum in front of TJ as far as I'm concerned. Go back and watch him thread the needle on short and mid range plays. See how he hit his receivers dead perfect, on full tilt, and was able to put the ball where only they could get to it. Then watch those two immaculate connections to Jean, lofting the ball around 50 yards (as the bird flys) both times.

The only place where he comes up short is that he's a bit, well, short.

Vance87

All Pro
This talk of Keenum "not having an NFL arm" is straight up STUPID.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Colin Kaepernick - 59 mph (said to have a big arm)
Andy Dalton - 56 mph (Red Rifle, right?)
Cam Newton - 56 mph (said to have a big arm)
Joe Flacco - 55 mph (said to have a cannon)
Case Keenum - 55 mph (WEAK ASS ARM)
TJ Yates - 52 mph (WAY past Keenum in arm strength!)

*Bangs head against the wall*

And wasn't Case injured at the Combine or something? JEESUS.

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
This talk of Keenum "not having an NFL arm" is straight up STUPID.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Colin Kaepernick - 59 mph (said to have a big arm)
Andy Dalton - 56 mph (Red Rifle, right?)
Cam Newton - 56 mph (said to have a big arm)
Joe Flacco - 55 mph (said to have a cannon)
Case Keenum - 55 mph (WEAK ASS ARM)
TJ Yates - 52 mph (WAY past Keenum in arm strength!)

*Bangs head against the wall*

And wasn't Case injured at the Combine or something? JEESUS.
Show me where it shows up on game tape where Keenum drops the ball in the hands of a receiver completely covered deep. I've seen TJ make that throw, I've never seen Keenum make it.

Edit: the fact that some big arm QBs have crappy speeds (Chad Henne, Mike Glennon, Landry Jones) shows me just how valuable this statistic measure is. I'm not surprised it's not done by anyone else at the combine.

waynegg

Waterboy
Accuracy =/= arm, see Joe Flacco. I like Keenum's decision making and accuracy. However, in many of his college highlight reels, he was throwing to wide open WRs. I don't think our WRs here are going to be that open.

I seem to recall a TJ Yates pass thrown in the game against Atlanta where he threw one to Andre where the CB was glued all over him to Andre's 5 o'clock but the ball was placed within arm's extent of Andre's 10 o'clock. There was no way the CB could get his hands on it. That was perfect ball placement.
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/HIGHLIGHTS-Keenum-to-Jean/ef9d5b14-2a63-4c2e-bb66-8d21fbde2246

Was it that pretty? Case did this twice and a crap ton of thread the needle on shorts and mids.

I think most people don't pay attention to preseason at all.

waynegg

Waterboy
That's basic math. Keenum threw the ball from the center of the field on the 34.5 yard line to one yard away from the sideline and 5 yards deep in the end zone. That's a distance of 39.5 yards. The field is 53.33 yards wide. Half of that is 26.665, subtract a yard off that for how far away from the line Jean was and you get 25.665