Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

In Leinart I Trust

Nawzer

Alienz
I wish I could do research on how fans come to terms or cope when something really bad happens to their team. People are comparing Schaub to Leinart which I find laughable. One is a top 10 qb in this league, while the other one is effectively a bust. Can Leinart play well or at least manage not to loose games for us? Sure. Is it likely? Ummm...I'm going to have to say a NO until I see it. Leinart has done nothing up to this point to show he's going to be a starter in this league. He probably didn't sign with Seattle because Carroll wouldn't hand him the starting job. Make no mistake, loosing your starting qb is a huge huge blow to a team. The season from now on will depend on the o-line and the defense. We're going to have to run it like 50 times a game for us to win and the defense will have to continue to play at a very high level.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Kubiak has a cookie-cutter QB system. Jake "100-INT'S" Plummer made
it to the AFC Championship Game with it.

Matt Leinart is much more talented than Sage Rosenfels, who ran
the system well.

Matt Leinart is much more mobile than Matt Schaub, which will add
a slight dimension to the QB position.

Matt Leinart would've been a sure-fire #1 draft pick if he had chosen
to enter the draft in 2005.

You got two starting RB's playing at a high level.

Andre's coming back.

What ya'll worried about?

TexCanada

All Pro
I wish I could do research on how fans come to terms or cope when something really bad happens to their team. People are comparing Schaub to Leinart which I find laughable. One is a top 10 qb in this league, while the other one is effectively a bust. Can Leinart play well or at least manage not to loose games for us? Sure. Is it likely? Ummm...I'm going to have to say a NO until I see it. Leinart has done nothing up to this point to show he's going to be a starter in this league. He probably didn't sign with Seattle because Carroll wouldn't hand him the starting job. Make no mistake, loosing your starting qb is a huge huge blow to a team. The season from now on will depend on the o-line and the defense. We're going to have to run it like 50 times a game for us to win and the defense will have to continue to play at a very high level.
While I agree that he has not proven that he is NFL quality, I disagree, for now, with you saying he is a bust. He is unproven, and in my eyes that goes both ways. He has not yet proven that he is bad yet.

I think he can do OK because he should be comfortable with this offense by now, and we are going to ask VERY little of him, especially at first. Matt2 only needs to complete about 10-12 passes a game and limit turnovers to beat most of the teams on our schedule.

Losing your QB is a huge blow, but he is not trying to replace Brees or Rodgers here, all he needs to do is not completely suck in order to find some success with this team.

As an aside, I think choosing to come back to Houston actually demonstrates a tiny little bit of maturity for Matt2. I don't know why he chose here, if it involved $, or a lack of other offers, but he signed here knowing he would be a backup. I have to think that he at least thought about this situation and decided that playing here behind Matt1 and with Kubiak helping him along, that it would be the best chance for him to continue playing football. I think he got served some humble pie and he has taken it fairly admirably.

That said, someone find Matty2 a beer bong, its time for FOOTBALL!!!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
ProFootballWeekly
"I believe my teammates believe in me and my coaches believe I can get the job done, and that goes a long way in this profession," Leinart said. "And I believe in myself to get the job done. I'm excited just to be playing ball again. It's been a long time, and it's just a great situation to be a part of."
Everything he's said since they announced he is going to lead the team has inspired me with confidence. He's shown maturity & humility & respect for the game & the team.

I really want this guy to succeed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Prediction 1: Leinart will look out of synch in his first game, but we'll pull out the win. After that, it will be steady improvement over three games until he really impresses. By the end of the season, he will be on fire and there will be a legit QB controversy.

Prediction 2: Next season, either Schaub or Leinart will be the starter for Washington, reaping us a #1 draft pick. Considering Schaub's rapport with Kyle Shanahan, I'm saying it's Schaub.

Ok, I'm swinging for the fences, but I do envision this.
Schaub probably won't be ready for the beginning of the season if it truly is what they are saying it is, & each week they put off surgery is only pushing back his recovery time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why not?

Kubiak coached up Matt who was a backup to Mike Vick for all of his career to be a top 10 starter for us.

He coached up Steve Young who was a back up to Montana...

If history shows us anything about the situation we are in, it's that Kubiak does a good job coaching up backup QBs
Dan O

Although Leinhart will be good enough to get the Texans to the playoffs.

They will probably lose in the 1st rd. Through very little fault of Leinhart.

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Schaub probably won't be ready for the beginning of the season if it truly is what they are saying it is, & each week they put off surgery is only pushing back his recovery time.
man i didn't think of that, how long a recovery if he has surgery?
Yeah, I didn't have the slightest clue how serious it was until Marcus posted this in another thread....

(posted by Marcus)
Well, there's one thing Schaub and I have in common.

We both have suffered LisFranc injuries. His is not as bad as mine was, if the reports are true that his 2nd metatarsal is just dislocated. Mine blew up like a hand grenade. Took a whole month for the swelling to go down before they could operate on it. Took two plates and 13 screws to put it back together.

And it's a lucky thing I posted about it way back when it happened. Wolf saw it and alerted CnD. Long story short, it was CnD who steered me to the right doc. Even so, it took over a year and half before I could walk without a limp.

It was quite the deal.
That really sobered me up. :choke:

skymike

Saints Fan
Saints Fan here:

You ready for some gut spilling?

In '06, our "Rebirth" year, I wanted us to draft Matt Leinart. Not Reggie Bush. (I like Reggie now.)

Also, not knowing much about it, I wrongly assumed Drew Brees to be a
retread.

Fortunately, I never aspired to be a general manager.

Keep your heads up, get behind Leinart, and Believe!

Showtime100

Got JJ?
Saints Fan here:

You ready for some gut spilling?

In '06, our "Rebirth" year, I wanted us to draft Matt Leinart. Not Reggie Bush. (I like Reggie now.)

Also, not knowing much about it, I wrongly assumed Drew Brees to be a
retread.

Fortunately, I never aspired to be a general manager.

Keep your heads up, get behind Leinart, and Believe!
Lol, yeah, we all miss from time to time. Thanks for the words and by the way, nice post when you came back to talk about underestimating Texan fans. Classy of you to say. :tiphat:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Once we get past the first game with Leinart stating then the talk will slowly cease.
You know better than that.

Remember what they say about the back-up QB.... the talk will just be starting.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
I saw Trent Dilfer win a Super Bowl so I don't doubt Leinart can with this D and run game. Might be a little more difficult now. I hope no one was getting used to those 37-9, 41-7 games.
Our D is pretty good, but in no way could it be called one of the greatest defenses of all-time (Which is what the Ravens '00 team could be called). I think we have the horses on defense to help us get into the playoffs, but I think we could be really boned if we need to win a shoot-out.

One thing Matt L. is doing that's good, my wife is now generally interested in Texans football, since the starting QB doesn't look like someone who is perma-stoned.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
Leinart playing in big games during college will help him in the playoffs I think, even if Schaub has had more experience in this system. I don't think Schaub has played in any big games (at least compared to Leinart). I know the NFL Playoffs is like nothing else, but I gotta feeling...