Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

In Leinart I Trust

Fili

Rookie
Yessir. We can't automatically assume Leinart is a bad QB. We'll find out at the Jags game for sure.

cain78749

Practice Squad
Fine as in limp to 10-6/9-7, host a playoff game and losing it, or fine as in not missing a beat, protecting our #1 seed status or dropping one too many and still getting that bye, and maybe winning a playoff game or two?

I can see the former, not so much the latter. Hope to be surprised.

I remember in an older version of Madden, they had a "Old Spice Swagger" rating for the players.

I can't remember what Leinart's rating was, but it had to be through the roof right?

burro

probably drunk
These memes are killing me, Matt Leinart is like Joe Namath...only bad at QB (based strictly on what I've seen). Or I'm just drunk and trying not to think much about it.

TexanExile

A New Hope
In a personal sense this is good. Waking up at 2AM local time for Texans kickoffs was not easy. This news will probably give me insomnia for the rest of the season so I should be fine.

But more importantly, although I've never been impressed by anything I've seen from Leinart since he came to the Texans, if this HAD to happen:

1) I'm grateful it was going into a bye week.
2) I'm grateful it happened after the wave of RB injuries subsided earlier this year. The Leinart/Ogbonnaya combo would have been terrifying.
3) I'm grateful it happened after the defense found its new identity and developed confidence far beyond what I was expecting this season.
4) I'm grateful AJ is coming back, just in time.
5) I'm grateful it happened in a year in the AFC South when suddenly the best remaining QB in the division is arguably Matt Hasselbeck. (That is not praise of Matt Hasselbeck.) If this had happened in a year where Manning was still playing, it would be hard not to be hopeless right now.

I will be cranking some Tums a week from Sunday, yes, but is it over? Not by a long shot.

PhilpW

Irish-American
We'll be fine because we have a dominating defense and a running game that controls the clock. Stay on the plus side of the turnover ledger and Texans continue to roll.

MEGA SWATT

All Pro
We keep rolling.

Just please, please let nothing more happen to our D, and umm.......Tate and foster.

And let AJ get strong and back to 100% by playoff time.

ATRAIN

ATX TEXANS FAN
I am with you, he looked good in pre season and stayed here and turned down bigger money in seatle. He has learned the system and been humbled. I hear he has been a workhorse and studyed like a mad man all season. Matt S, didnt put up big number, we just need Matty L to manage the game and I think he can do that. Increase workload in Foster and Tate. I for one think we will be ok plus he has two weeks to work with the first team. We will be ok!!

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
I sure don't. Does anyone else not remember him in the preseason? Ugh, we're screwed
All I remember him do in preseason is throw a couple of boot leg passes to Ogbonnaya, hand it off 80% of the time, and almost never pass from behind 3rd string o-line to 3rd string receivers.

Everybody says Kubiak loves him. I'll give Kubes the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

fiasco west

All Pro
Why not?

Kubiak coached up Matt who was a backup to Mike Vick for all of his career to be a top 10 starter for us.

He coached up Steve Young who was a back up to Montana...

If history shows us anything about the situation we are in, it's that Kubiak does a good job coaching up backup QBs

gtexan02

Working?
He worked with 2nd and 3rd stringers. He cant base everything on preseason.
Lets see:

1. Crappy in regular season with Arizona
2. Crappy in preseason with Texans
3. Hasn't started a game since 2009

What is there that we can base good news off of?

Kubiak "likes" him? Does anyone else remember Orlovsky? Yates? Have we ever had a serviceable backup?

Showtime100

Got JJ?
This is about as positive as I can get right now. If it had to happen, and we are Houston, therefore it had to happen, at least it happened two weeks before our next game so Matt boy can have more time.

That took all the positivity I had for the remainder of the day. :tiphat:

TexanFan881

All Pro
Lets see:

Kubiak "likes" him? Does anyone else remember Orlovsky? Yates? Have we ever had a serviceable backup?
Sage Rosenfels....

ATRAIN

ATX TEXANS FAN
Lets see:

No coaching in Arizona and got thrown in as a rookie. Again its pre season.
We will be ok, he just needs to manage the game. There is a reason Kubes is sold on him. Have faith man. Thats all we can do right now cause like it or not he is our QB now.

ATRAIN

ATX TEXANS FAN
where's my gun.
HAHAHA I was thinking well at least we dont have Rosencopter anymore. At this point id rather have Matty L than Sage. I hope Matt L comes in and pulls a Brady. I mean come on if Alex Smith, Tebow, Cam, Ponter, Dalton can all do it then Matty L can beat Jax, Indy, Tenn. Thats all we need for playoffs.

speedfreek

All Pro
no way, Leinart blows and will put our defense in really bad situations with turnovers...

Gary has NEVER kept a decent backup QB. Just "project" QB's

TJ

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
These Leinart threads are going to get boring over the next two weeks, but I guess it's all we have for now. The fact is, we just don't know what will happen. But my guess is it will be at worst only mildly bad all the way to surprising good. I honestly do NOT think this is a full fledged disaster.

Farough

Rookie
I think he'll be fine. He's not going to be asked to do too much. Definitely going to be relying on the run game and mix in a lot of play action passes to keep the defenses off balance. Obviously he's not going to come out and light it up but I can see him being something similar to what Alex Smith is in SF. Just there to manage a game, not turn it over and allow the run game to do their thing.

As long as they don't turn the ball over and put the defense in bad positions we should be alright to still win 11 games.

The Cush

Rookie
All this team has to do is play out the Chicago Bears Super Bowl formula when they had Rex Grossman running that offense. Run the ball, keep playing stellar defense, and all Leinart has to do is be a game manager. Don't throw picks and don't get strip sacked.

ESPN was talking about how strong his work ethic has been. Combining that with Kubiak and Greg Knapp's reputation of coaching up quarterbacks it wouldn't surprise me if he keeps us afloat.

This is about as positive as I can get right now. If it had to happen, and we are Houston, therefore it had to happen, at least it happened two weeks before our next game so Matt boy can have more time.

That took all the positivity I had for the remainder of the day. :tiphat:
They don't really have much more time. According to the new CBA the players aren't allowed to practice for 4 straight days. I don't think there are specific days, but they have to be consecutive.

euro-Texan

Rookie
They have more time in the sense that the coaching staff can put some packages together for a lefty qb. They say he has been taking more reps in practice because schaub has been banged up for the last couple of weeks.

I'm not selling my tickets to the jags game over this, although jags tickets would move about as easily as my house right now. I'm expecting a big win on the 27th.

We've never really seen what Leinart can do with the #1s. What better situation for someone to step into.

He's got a tremendous run game headed by a badass 2 headed monster.
He's getting back the game's best wide receiver that can get open and make the tough catches.
He's got a great group of TEs that can all stretch the field and find the soft spots in the zone.
He's got an offensive guru as a coach that will design a game plan to allow him to manage the game.
He's got the #1 Defense helping him out with field position and keeping the opponent's score low.
He's playing in an offense more like the one he played in at USC.
And He's going to have the BEST FANS IN THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE behind him.

I'm giving him a chance. Who knows. Maybe all of the National columnists that were talking about us as Super Bowl contenders last night and have changed it to One and Done today will spark something.

JCTexan

Hall of Fame
I am looking for Kubiak to come out passing opening the Jacksonville game. Teams are going to be stacking the box more so now that Schaub is injured. It's going to be harder to run the ball now. Kubiak came out passing in both the Tampa & Cleveland games, and I fully expect him to do it in the next game. Hopefully Leinart can capitalize on this chance. :kitten: