Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Improvement of offensive live

Andre_Johnson88

Practice Squad
What are everyone's thoughts on how improved the o-line will be this season?Personally,I think they have been improving each year in their abilities as a unit and hopefully they shall continue to be even better this year.Also,is our o-line coach pretty good out of curiosity?

They are on a nice curve. Dom Davis ran for 1000 yards in 10 games and Carr was only sacked 15 times (not including Banks and Ragone). Adding Bruenner and Wade should allow us to help Pitts since we have always had journeymen at RT so far. Joppru should be a tough blocker too if he can come in healthy. I look for big things. The only spot that is unsettled is LG, and that spot is up in the air imo because of our new blocking scheme.

Also, we are moving to more zone blocking (like the Broncos) this year so look for us to struggle early, but gel towards the mid point in the season. We should have a fine unit in place for our serious playoff run of 2005.

The line should be pretty good. Wade is a upgrade over Randall. An intresting battle to watch in mini camp is whether Milford Brown can get back his starting LG spot that Todd Washington took when Brown got injured. The other spots on the line are locks. Although I wonder what Seth Wand has done...

I don't think Washington has a shot to start with our new zone blocking scheme. He has lead feet. This is Weary's shot to start if he has matured. This slot ought to be between Weary and Brown. I'm thinking Washington will have a tough time making the team.

I forgot about Weary. He is very athletic but raw. He could play center in like 2 seasons when McKinney's contract is up and if McKinney asks for too much.

Im gonna be watching Wand like a hawk. He is possibly our LT of the future.. if he comes around, id watch for him to take over as starting LT by mid season.. if he isnt quite ready.. id look for it next season. Pitts is gonna make a great LG if Wand comes around.

just out of curiousity who is our other back-up tackle...i know wand is backing up both techniquely but who is the next guy in line for the tackle position...jones?

keyfro said:
just out of curiousity who is our other back-up tackle...i know wand is backing up both techniquely but who is the next guy in line for the tackle position...jones?
Yeah it is Garrick Jones and Curry Dawson

Never heard of either of them, to be exact I don't know a thing about em. I would like to see someone step up and become a grade A backup, that way depth is not an issue. There has to be someone out there who is not getting the chance to play that has the abilities right? lol. . . . .

keyfro said:

Zach Weigert would be our fourth, or emergency tackle, after Pitts, Wade and Wand. They will still need a tackle for practice purposes, but I see them only activating Pitts, Wade and Wand on game day.

Which of the following do you think will have the biggest influence on the improvement of the offensive line:

(a) Infusion of new talent (Todd Wade);
(b) Maturation of younger players (Pitts, Wand, Brown, Weary); or
(c) New offensive line coach, Joe Pendry (new scheme and perhaps re-shuffling of positions)?

Mistril48 said:
Which of the following do you think will have the biggest influence on the improvement of the offensive line:

(c) New offensive line coach, Joe Pendry (new scheme and perhaps re-shuffling of positions)?
B no doubt, Pitts is improving, Brown and Weary have experience and are both battling for the starting LG spot.

Mistril48 said:

Both a and b, Adding Talent and the improving of young players, are line should have a pretty good year.

I heared about them introducing the zone scheme, I don't think they are going to use as much as some people believe. Are personal are too big and not as swift a foot as the Bronco's Line. We will use it on certain plays and circumstances, but still think you will see a lot of straight ahead smash mouth blocking this year. :carrot: :banana: :pepper:

Back