Impact when Wong and Faggins return?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dat_boy_yec, Oct 17, 2006.

1. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Of all the linebacker positions, is this the one that typically has the least impact? I look at our SLB, Orr and the guy hasn't had more than 3 tackles in any game so far. I remember this guy did real well in our defense last yr. So I gotta wonder is it because SLB's don't have that much impact or do we need an upgrade? I mean, maybe I'm off, but the guy has consistently not shown up so I'm just looking for an explanation.... if there is any.

2. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Orr is a DE. As an outside LB in a 3-4, he wasn't playing out of position. As a SLB in a 4-3, he's definitely out of position. His responsibilities include coverage against the TE, pursuing the ball, shedding blocks and impacting strong side runs, etc... He has no experience playing this position or any real LB position. I expect Wong to make a huge impact on this team with his return. He'll play much better and he'll also help Demeco Ryans with onfield adjustments.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

How much of an impact do y'all feel they are actually going to make on this defense...along with Faggins..
    last I heard they expect to practice, but week or two away(if I remember what Kubiak said on his radio show this week)

4. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Not much. But anyone is better than Greenwood. I don't think that I can take much more of his diving and missing at tackles 95% of linebackers would make in this league.

5. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Odds are, Wong is going to the Strongside, and I think he'll be better suited than Orr. Also, Faggins will be an upgrade. How big of an upgrade they'll be has yet to be determined, but they'll help.

6. samomin

samomin Veteran

Pre-Injury Faggins and Wong would be a big upgrade. How the post-injury Faggins and Wong perform, will be determined when they play. It will be hard to predict that for the first few games they play.

7. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

If anything, Wong brings a stronger veteran presence on the field to take charge when things start imploding

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Orr is no more an NFL DE than Wong--which is not at all even though both played there in college. Wong just makes a smarter, better overall NFL LB than Orr. The coaches have always commented on Wong's adaptability and smart play. He may not be the most physically gifted but he should be a big upgrade at SLB.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i think wong will make a big impact if he's able to play. he's so much more football savvy than orr and isnt nearly as likely to be caught out of position or overshoot a play (orr & peek i like a lot more as OLB's in a 3-4). besides that he's a tenured texan and a strong veteran presence on the defense that i'm certain will increase the comfort level of the back 7. wong's not going to be a great linebacker coming off an injury, he's going to be a smarter linebacker and a better tackler than the guy he's replacing while ryans still makes most of the plays. faggins needs to increase the talent level on the DB's. while that's not a very difficult task, he never impressed me, so time will tell on that one.

10. infantrycak

Faggins will get burned--possibly more than Sanders BUT he will not drop 4+ INT opportunities. Those are far more important than getting burned a few times unless it is for TD's. In addition to D created opportunities, this team needs sparks like that.

11. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

Sparks like this ....

[​IMG]

Battle Red Day against J-Ville. Ahem.

12. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I might be wrong but doesn't Wong play MLB in the 4-3? No way he takes that spot from DeMeco. So does he take the LOLB spot from Orr or what?

13. infantrycak

Yup--Orr becomes situational SLB at best. Probably split time the first couple games and become more rarely seen as Wong gets back up to speed. Wong has played OLB and ILB in both 4-3 and 3-4 alignments in the NFL. 1st got starts as a Vike at SLB then went to MLB. Came to Houston and went SLB, then WLB, then MLB.

14. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

OK, thanks for the info cak.

15. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

The 1st and only Texans game Ive ever been to. Good choice on my part, that game was nothing short of amazing!!

16. Scooter

Scooter Funky

wong played OLB, on both sides, in our 3-4 scheme and i think he'll be playing sam. i honestly forget which side he said he felt most comfortable on (i'm sure vinny remembers), but he'll deffinately be playing an OLB. he'll be taking orr's spot either way.

17. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Im placing that day as the peak of this franchise so far, its all been downhill since that moment

18. NJTexanFan

NJTexanFan Rookie

I can't believe i hear people saying Wong taking Orr spot, i much rather him take Greenwood spot i've seen people bashing him but actually watching a game, HE CAN'T TACKLE FOR NOTHING! I was hoping Wong to come back and take his spot the only linebacker i know that dives at players legs and misses way to often

19. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Greenwood has been doing a much better job than Orr so far, imo. Greenwood at least has the ability to make plays. Maybe Orr is a better tackler, but he takes himself out of so many play by making stupid decisions that he is never around to make the tackle in the first place.

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

In particular, getting Wong back could be very helpful. Who knows what kind
    of shape he'll be in ?Not just his general physical condidtioning but his football
    shape. After all, he hasn't had any contact for a whole year.
    But he's recognized as a popular guy amoung the players and he's a veteran with many years of NFL experience. And he's been a competant LB who can play the strongside, one of many positions where we desparately need help at.