I'm talkin' 'bout Willis.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Battle Red Flash, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Battle Red Flash

Battle Red Flash Veteran

I want Willis for the Texans.
    I don't think #10 is too high for his talent.
    Could he play outside with Ryans in the middle?
    ...or would they move Ryans outside?
    SEC defensive player of the year. Not too shabby. :)

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

just not a very good pick for houston.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I wouldn't count on it. There's a few other holes that are much bigger than LB at this time.:)

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Demeco seems to think it is a top 2 need on D.

5. Battle Red Flash

Battle Red Flash Veteran

Don't they just take the best player available? Or is it best player available that fills a need?

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i don't think willis would be BPA at #10 anyway.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be upset at all. We have several holes on both sides of the ball. It'd be hard to screw up this first pick. I wonder if D-Ryans was aware the Texans picked up a couple LBs. They're average at best, but I'd still guess we'd rule out LB at #10.

8. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

Agreed, we made upgrades at SLB where is the only position we need it. So why draft Willis and add more to the position when there are positions that are bigger needs and haven't been adressed in FA? He'll be a good player, but not what we need.

9. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

I'm all for drafting Willis at #10, I think he's as close to a can't miss prospect as it gets and plays a position where we could use an upgrade.

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

If I'm playing Vince Young twice a year I'd rather not jsut have "decent" guys around Ryans. Willis and Ryans are both fast, strong, and make good decisions. I would not be content with the current LB situation, especially not long term.

11. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

DB is a much greater need at this point in time. There will be a DB available at #10 whose value + need will be greater than Willis's value + need.

12. AlbinoRat

AlbinoRat Veteran

Personally, having watched him over the past two years, to be plain...He's good. Very Good. But the fact remains that if we waited one round or possibley two, we could get Brandon Siler (Team Leader of Nat. Champion FLA) or Buster Davis (whom I prefer) Davis reminds alot of Chuck Liddell in that his build is kinda chubby and he looks like he drinks alot of beer, but he packs a huge hit. Been one of my favorites for 3 years.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

after about 6 picks the talent levels off...I could see Willis at 10, and outside of Demeco, our linebackers are not very good.

14. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I am not very familiar with Willis but he sure rose up the charts after his pro day. I agree that the LBs that were signed are more depth and to upgrade what was a very big weakness.

I personnaly want Levi Brown, ya I know flame me.

So with that said if the Texans do not take Brown I would like a trade down. If Brown or trade down does not happen, I have no prob with Willis if he is as good as advertised.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Patrick Willis is going to have a great nfl career. He's the type of player and person you want on your team. he's a man on and off the field. He's easily the best overall LB in this draft not just the middle. one of the safest picks in the draft next to Landry and Calvin imo.

I would be thrilled if we picked him. I would rather us trade down some to get him because we have bigger pressing needs at other positions like CB, FS, DL, OL, WR2...etc. Not that he doesn't warrant being picked 10 overall, just probably not by us because of our holes...

I think he has a very good chance of going 11 to San Francisco...and even if atlanta trades up with detroit to take CJ...I can see Detroit taking him at 8. jmho

16. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

then...

so how would we trade down and get him?

17. Ole Miss Texan

listen to what i'm saying. For our team and the needs we need, I'd rather trade down, get an extra pick in the process, because we have more pressing needs than LB.

with that said. He probably will not be there when we trade down. san fran, buffalo, st. louis and carolina...one of those teams will pick him.

IF we really wanted him we have to take him at 10...have to. But we don't need him like we need other players ...so taking him at 10 would probably not be that wise.

18. Ole Miss Texan

If Willis lasts to 10 there may be some teams willing to trade up for him. We'd be the easiest team to trade with considering each team 11-14 and you may even include 15, the steelers in the mix. We need the picks and some team would need to move ahead of the teams that truly covet him (if it's not us).

Who could you see wanting to trade up for him?
    San Fran-might like okoye or carriker better?
    Buffalo - go after peterson/lynch?
    St. Louis
    Carolina
    Pittsburgh
    New England

I used to have Philly in the mix but i think they got a FA LB?

19. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

They traded for Takeo Spikes.

I think Buffalo would be willing to make the move up.

20. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I think we have to make strides in our DB's. Outside of DT that is probably our weakest position on defense.After Dunta there is a huge drop off. Need SS or CB #2