Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"I'm Stunned!"

prostock101

Mr. Big
I'm watching the pregame on NBC when Chris Collingsworth brings up the MW-RB-VY thingie. He sez Mario has been a monster. Da Bus sez Bush was not even the featured back at USC and should never had been picked that high. And Tiki sez Vince is playin' like crap.

Then they all say, "Mario was a great pick!" :texflag:

I think I threw up in my mouth a little.......:fans:

Ya I just posted that exact thing on the Mario thread. Looks like we made the right move. I think we got a bright future here!

Tiki also sez that the three most important positions are Left Tackle, Quarterback, and a Pass Rushing Defensive End.

Hey, we got 2 outa 3!:bat:

Well Vincent is making an effort to change. and change is never easy. In a lot of repects he is like Mario in the fact that he had so much God given tallent all the coaches had to do during his career was roll out the ball and let him do his thing. Now however, he is finding out or has found out , that he must work very hard to achieve at this level. I never banged him for his tallent. Just the waiste of his potential. There is no doubt, if he gets it , he'll rewite the record books. Chow is working with him. I wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet.

I stand by my stance on Reggie. He is an over paid Erick Metcalf who needs a complemtary back to acheive. He can not and will not ever be able to cary a full load on this level. He is very tallented. He is also very over paid for what he brings to the table. The Saints bit on the ESPN hype and they are sucking on the big one now.

What is truly scary about Mario he has exactly two moves right now. He has the hands to the chest, and the over under arm swim. That's it. Can you image the posiblities if he gets down the push pull, the hump move and a spin move ? Once this guy gets a full compliment of moves in his back pocket, no one will be able to block the guy. The monter is becoming self aware.

Anyone who truly knows....I'm curious on the blown play where we gave up the big run. I believe Richard Smith had a slant left called and Anderson was supposed to scrap right to seal the right end. Looked to me that Anderson took a false step and got sealed ?

What is truly scary about Mario he has exactly two moves right now. He has the hands to the chest, and the over under arm swim. That's it. Can you image the posiblities if he gets down the push pull, the hump move and a spin move ? Once this guy gets a full compliment of moves in his back pocket, no one will be able to block the guy. The monter is becoming self aware.

mario's now at about 2 and a half moves. he made a decent outside spin in the 4th quarter that got him within reach of mccown, but it put him very off balance ... something he tries only a couple of times per game with improving results. when mario learns to use the blocker as leverage for his moves, and learns how to setup future moves, he's going to be absolutely nasty. most importantly, mario's gotten faster off of the snap all season and he's turning from good to great against the run.

I saw that too and was surprised that they were giving him credit, instead of the usual RB and VY love. I like Tiki's point, in which he said, a successful team has to have a good qb, bookend tackle and dominent defensive end.

most importantly, mario's gotten faster off of the snap all season and he's turning from good to great against the run.

I think that's a direct result of him not thinking and just playing - aka the light bulb turning on.

Remember this crap from Brian Baldinger?

"When the Texans made defensive end Mario Williams the No. 1 pick of the 2006 draft, they said, in essence, this was a guy who would dominate as a pass rusher. He'd make offenses change their protection schemes. He'd demand double-teams.

Not gonna happen.

At 6-7, 291, Williams has amazing size for an end. He's smart, and he's hungry. He wants to live up to his draft status. But he'll have a hard time doing so because he isn't a fast-twitch guy.

Muscle fibers are different. Some are slow twitch, sort of like they're built for a marathon. Others are fast twitch. They have a suddenness to them, like a cobra striking. All the good pass-rushing ends -- Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor, Michael Strahan, John Abraham and a few others -- are fast-twitch guys. You either have it or you don't, and Williams doesn't.

An example from Houston's season-opening loss to Philadelphia: Donovan McNabb faked a handoff going right, then turned and flipped the ball to Brian Westbrook going left. Williams, the right end, wasn't even blocked. He went with the fake, then turned to chase Westbrook. In that situation, Williams has to put his foot in the ground and change direction instantly to make the play. But he didn't have the muscle fiber to do that. Westbrook ran for 17 yards.

Without that quick twitch, Williams will have a hard time making offensive linemen miss him. He invites contact. He may someday have the strength and savvy to deal with contact to some degree, but the ends who dominate are the ones who avoid contact by flashing past blockers before they can react. Don't hold your breath waiting for Williams to do that. In fact, the Texans are moving Williams inside to tackle on obvious passing downs and bringing in a couple of fast-twitch guys -- Jason Babin and Antwan Peek -- to rush from the outside. Teams don't move elite pass rushers to tackle. What does that tell you?

The Texans switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 this year and are rebuilding their defense around Williams. That's what you do with a player taken first overall in the draft. But I don't see him having the impact they envision. He wasn't noticeable in his NFL debut, and he won't be noticeable most Sundays. "

What a clown. Acting like he's some sort of physiologist. Please. I want to hear him take that garbage back too.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1149190

Nothing like grading or predicting a players future after 1 game....what a douche.

I saw that too and even saw Richard Justice say Mario was the right pick in today's Chron.

that Mario was the right pick over Bush? it sure is looking that way. as for Mario over VY that argument is kinda mute because Carr was already locked in to the maximum team option of 3 years. VY was not an option. McNair had to make sure his towel boy knew that he was still #1 in his heart and to give David confidence going into the whole 'Draft Young' drama.

I still think the Texans should have dropped Carr and drafted Young #1 overall. To this day. Now hear me out, I know Young is struggling with his consistency, decision making, and accuracy but look at what he has to work with over there at WR. They are sorely lacking because of how cheap Bud is, and that is a good thing because our division is tough enough as it is, but back to Young. If we draft him and cut Carr loose after his 4th year, then we arent on the hook for Carr's money, we arent on the hook for Mario's money, and we aren't on the hook for Schaub's money. We are only on the hook for Young's money and we would have had Sage as a starter in 2006 to help ease the transition to Young and be the great backup that he is.

Think about how much money that frees up. Think about the two 2nd rounders we gave up to get Schaub. think about the player we could have gotten with the $12 million we would save in cap costs of not having to pay for both Schaub and Carr. That can get you 2 probowl caliber free agents then you have the 2 2nd rounders. That is four quality players. I would rather have VY and four quality players than Mario and Schaub and Carr, who isnt even with us anymore. thank god.

I am glad Mario is doing well but I do think things would have already turned around here under Young. Maybe its the Luv Ya Blue romantic in me, but I really thought the stars alligned on this one and Young, though struggling, has shown flashes of why he was #3 overall...just look at the tape against us from 2 weeks ago. The guy just isn't consistent. He had the same problem at Texas. The year UT won the NC he came out flat and sloppy numerous times but really rallied with KState and OSU. In the NFL, if you come out flat and unprepared, you get beat. Plain and simple. VY has to spend more time in the film room, more time in the weight room, and less time in the champagne room. I don't know if he is injured but he doesnt have the quickness out of the pocket he had last year. But as a fan of the Texans, I hope he spends a little more time in the Champagne room. At least until Peyton retires.....

Remember this crap from Brian Baldinger?

"When the Texans made defensive end Mario Williams the No. 1 pick of the 2006 draft, they said, in essence, this was a guy who would dominate as a pass rusher. He'd make offenses change their protection schemes. He'd demand double-teams.

Not gonna happen.

At 6-7, 291, Williams has amazing size for an end. He's smart, and he's hungry. He wants to live up to his draft status. But he'll have a hard time doing so because he isn't a fast-twitch guy.

Muscle fibers are different. Some are slow twitch, sort of like they're built for a marathon. Others are fast twitch. They have a suddenness to them, like a cobra striking. All the good pass-rushing ends -- Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor, Michael Strahan, John Abraham and a few others -- are fast-twitch guys. You either have it or you don't, and Williams doesn't.

An example from Houston's season-opening loss to Philadelphia: Donovan McNabb faked a handoff going right, then turned and flipped the ball to Brian Westbrook going left. Williams, the right end, wasn't even blocked. He went with the fake, then turned to chase Westbrook. In that situation, Williams has to put his foot in the ground and change direction instantly to make the play. But he didn't have the muscle fiber to do that. Westbrook ran for 17 yards.

Without that quick twitch, Williams will have a hard time making offensive linemen miss him. He invites contact. He may someday have the strength and savvy to deal with contact to some degree, but the ends who dominate are the ones who avoid contact by flashing past blockers before they can react. Don't hold your breath waiting for Williams to do that. In fact, the Texans are moving Williams inside to tackle on obvious passing downs and bringing in a couple of fast-twitch guys -- Jason Babin and Antwan Peek -- to rush from the outside. Teams don't move elite pass rushers to tackle. What does that tell you?

The Texans switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 this year and are rebuilding their defense around Williams. That's what you do with a player taken first overall in the draft. But I don't see him having the impact they envision. He wasn't noticeable in his NFL debut, and he won't be noticeable most Sundays. "

What a clown. Acting like he's some sort of physiologist. Please. I want to hear him take that garbage back too.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=1149190

Actually, some of what he said is true. The part where I think he was mistaken was him basically saying the "fast twitch" players are the only DE's that can rush the passer. IMO, both have different approaches at pass rushing and they can both be successful.:d:

I like Baldy, but only partially agree with him in this article.

Actually, some of what he said is true. The part where I think he was mistaken was him basically saying the "fast twitch" players are the only DE's that can rush the passer. IMO, both have different approaches at pass rushing and they can both be successful.:d:

I like Baldy, but only partially agree with him in this article.

I know all about fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fiber. Saying Mario doesn't have that is absurd. Just look at his performance at the combine.

I dunno, do you think we will now see all of the ESPN talking-heads spouting
the same kind of party-line ? These national-media types all kinda operate within the herd-mentality.

Peter King even approves; link:

12. Tennessee (7-6). Isn't it funny how, looking back at the 2006 draft, we all laughed at Houston for even suggesting Mario Williams was better than Vince Young? Who's laughing now?

I don't know why it is so stunning. Mario is playing better right now, so they say he is better. Vince was playing better last year when they said he was better. Reggie has been somewhere in the middle of the two as far as I'm concerned. First and thrid has just swapped.

p.s. Do we still have to wait three years to pass judgement on the draft?

Back