I'm not convinced Bush was the problem.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dream_team, Jan 3, 2011.

1. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Please help convince me Bush was the problem with the defense. I want to be optimistic about next season.

In 2009, Bush created the best defense in Texans history (regarding points & yards allowed). How did the defense regress so much?

Personally, I think the players simply played better in 2009. Combine that with losing Dunta, Barwin, Ryans, and the tougher schedule... you get the 2010 defense.

I'm not saying we should've kept Bush. He should've done a better job of adjusting and fixing the problems mid-season. But I believe the players are more to blame than the coach.

Please tell me I'm wrong and a new DC will cure our defensive woes.

2. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

You're wrong and a new DC will cure our defensive woes.

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

We were 4-2 til we list DeMeco.................:kitten: Seriously though, after watching and paying more attention to the defense the last few weeks, the players often seemed lost and out of place pre snap, sometimes just looking around at one another with their arms up totally looking totally confused.

4. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

The defense will improve under Wade. (They can't get any worse.)

But the defense was not the only problem with this team.

5. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

kubiak is going to work hard with these kids and they're going to prepare hard for every game. it's a tough business but they're going to do all they can to make mr. mcnair proud.

did that help?

6. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

This happened yesterday, esp with KJ. Is this Bush's fault or Gibbs? Guess it won't matter anymore since both will be gone. If you listened to DeMeco on "Inside the Game" last night, he mentioned leadership as one of his strong assets. I think the team depended on Meco a lot more than we realized, and Cush is just to inexperienced to fill those shoes. JMO

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Agreed. I noticed this in the secondary as well as with the LB's in the past weeks but more in the secondary.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

THIS GUY IS A TEXANS FAN:

[​IMG]

TexansFanatic likes this.

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Correction :kubepalm:

10. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

lmao!

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

because we played the NFC West last year and it made our defense look better than what it was ?
    :bubbles:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm not convinced that Bush was the entire problem either, but he was certainly a part of it. We kept the biggest problem at head coach so improvement next year may not be all that is expected by some folks.

13. Grforces

Grforces Veteran

Truth is, the D will be better if we get Wade, and call me a sucker but I think we will make the playoffs if we do get him. I wanted Kubiak gone as much as anyone. I even became a football expert in terms of judging talent, and play calling as much as everyone in Houston seems to suddenly think they are.
    I din't watch the last game against the Jags, and tried to say I would'nt pay attention till the draft, But, I have to say McNair sucked me in.
    Im getting excited about getting Wade, reading what everyone is saying about our current personel and how it would work with the 3-4.
    Admit it or not, but if we switched to a 3-4, it would be a huge change.
    While Bush was not the only problem, I think he was a key problem. The main guy is McNair and his perception of this football team.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Antonio Smith is the only one that has experience in the 3-4 (if I heard Pollard right)

Mario was quoted that he wasn't sure how he would work at a DE in the 3-4 (something like that, I couldn't understand most of it) but would wait and see with the new coach

15. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I would assume if Wade came in as DC he would run a hybrid 4-3/3-4. God knows we need enough in the secondary, if someone comes in and switches strictly to the 3-4, then we can add defensive line and linebackers to what we already need in the secondary.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

When problems are evident but minimized or denied for so long at the top (McNair, Kubiak, Smith), it is virtually impossible to evaluate the contributions of the lesser "players."

17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I actually semi-agree with the OP. I don't think Bush was a good D Coordinator. Don't get me wrong, he needs to be gone. But you hire a guy, get rid of his top 2 corners after a year, bring in some rookies and then say..."go for it." As I've said all along the defenses demise is just as much om Smith and Kubiak as it is on Bush.

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

And to answer the OP...

No, Bush is never a problem.

:bender:

texansdrummer likes this.
  19. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

But most of the defense was the same from last season. There was only one new starter (KJ). Why would they be lost now, but not last season? Unless Bush implemented something new for this season.

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

This isn't the first time this has happened. I think it happened under Capers too. The wheels just fell off one year.