Im in a mock....Need some help...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Dunta_23, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

I traded out of # 1 for DeAngelo Hall, the 15th and an extra 3rd...

the picks so far have been...

1. Reggie Bush
    2. Matt Lienart
    3. Vince Young
    4. AJ Hawk
    5. Mario Williams
    6. DeAngelo Williams
    7. D'Brick
    8. Winston Justice
    9. Michael Huff
    10. Vernon Davis
    11. Jimmy Williams
    12. Eric Winston
    13. LenDale White
    14. ___________
    15. Texans selection?

I was really hoping to move down and try and snag Vernon Davis or Michael Huff...Is it too early to take Tamba Hali? There is still 1 pick to go before I select so give me some feedback...

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

who was your target when trading down :confused:

this is a nightmare scenero, are you related to Casserly by any chance? really the only thing to do is trade down at this point and stockpile 2nd & 3rd rd. picks.

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Even though we're switching to the 4-3 & have an over abundance of DT's, you can't go wrong with (BPA) Haloti Ngata.

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Did the Jet's trade down? There's no way they take Hawk over D'Brick.

5. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

take ngata or trade down again

6. texman8

texman8 Veteran

How about Chad Greenway, LB or Chad Jackson or Sanatonio Holmes WR?

7. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Ko Simpson
    Greenway
    Kiwi

or trade down and look for Hali, Mangold, J. Joseph, M. Lewis. Stockpile picks if you can.

8. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

I wanted Vernon Davis or Michael Huff....this draft has a no trade once drafting begins rule...so as it stands now I'm probably stuff with the choices of

Ngata
    Hali
    Kiwi
    Whitner
    Simpson
    Chad Jackson
    S. Holmes

9. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Hali was selected right before me...I took Ngata and like beerlover said its basically a nightmare scenario if it were to shake down that way...but when I see I got DeAngelo Hall in the first round too I am still smiling...Now only if we didnt have Seth Payne around....we could rotate Robaire, TJ, and Ngata :drool:

10. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

Wow, if this scenario happens on draft day I'll be a nervous wreck and completely beside myself.

BPA and best fit for team at this point seem to be:

Mathias Kiwanuka
    Manny Lawson
    Hali
    Chad Greenway
    D'Qwell Jackson
    Darnell Bing
    Ko Simpson (though he'll probably be there in later rounds)
    Leonard Pope
    Chad Jackson

11. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

The situation really isn't all that bad. Let's look at the 5 BPAs at this point:

DT Ngata
    OLB Greenway
    WR Jackson
    DE Hali
    WR Holmes

4 of those are need picks for the Texans. You've got pick 33 and 3 in the third. So consider which holes you can fill with those picks.

Daryn College at #33 would be nice. In the third, you should be able to get an OG, S and a TE - since those are three positions that are drafted low. Of course, the glaring problem with this is that none of those four picks (OT, OG, S, TE) help our pass rush. So your first round pick should be Tamba Hali, with Greenway as your backup.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I disagree, it really is that bad. It means you have traded so far down your out of range of all the elite talent, Reggie Bush, Vince Young, D'brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Vernon Davis & Michael Huff. c'mon get real if the Texans don't get at least one of those players this is not good :brickwall

We don't need another stink'en DT especially converting to the 4-3. we already have plenty of OLB's too. Is WR that high on our need list and in case you missed the point Hali was selected ahead of the Texans pick.

If he could not trade down my personel choice and biggest need would have been the last of the prototypical tackle studs in Marcus McNeil, at worst he replaces Wade :cool:

13. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Im targeting Mangold at 33...and hope he will drop but if he doesnt im sure I will be able to take a pretty good MLB there....if not someone along the Oline

14. YoungTexanFan

That was a really bad first round for the Texans. Ngata is a NT, not really a typical 4-3 DT. We also have an abundance of DT's already. Mangold at #33 will help to rectify your draft, but you basicly managed to screw up a situation I felt even casserly couldn't screw up. (not too much offense meant as I know you are just experimenting, but something should have been going off in your head)

15. YoungTexanFan

Do you have a big board made yet? I'm guessing you don't since you rid yourself of every elite player in the draft at that point. There has to be a cut-off where logicly, one of your top X players will fall. You don't go beyond that point in a trade down.

16. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Yeha but the hype of Vernon Davis wasnt top 10 hype previous to this and I was sure, Justice on Winston would fall, Or Hali...But like I said, DeAngelo hall is a first rounder so him and Ngata make up for the sting of missing out on some of the top tier guys..

17. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Plus atlanta was the only team wanting to move up... its a 3 round mock and I have 5 picks...Plus D. Hall...Im sure it will be ok...

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Imo, you've done just fine. Almost every pole I'm seeing of late, has Eric Winston falling into the 2nd round. I guess you could've taken Jonathan Scott, but Ngata is a far superior player at pick #15. The draft is like poker, there's a whole lotta' guessing what the other players are going to do. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out the way you planned.

I read an article a week or two ago, where Ngata was quoted as preferring to play in a 4-3 defense. If he can dominate as a NT in a 3-4, imagine how dominate he'll be in a 4-3. While Ngata might not have been the #1 choice of the Texans, he's definitely not chopped liver either. He'll definitely be an upgrade over what we have now, & he allows us the luxury of trading one of our other DT's (Payne/Robaire) for an additional pick. Thus, we upgraded a position, reduced the salary cap, acquired a starting CB, & picked up another draft pick.:thumbup

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Chad Greenway
    Chad Jackson
    Mathias Kiwanuka
    The trade realy isnt that bad considering we got DeAngelo Hall. Him and Drob would be nice.

20. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

I'm suprised no one siad this name. Jay Cutler. Thats who i would pick. He is bound to be better than Carr