Illegal Contact Rule Illegal

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Feb 11, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Interestingly enough, there seems like there may have ultimately been a little "Peyton Factor" in the push for this questionable rule.

It's interesting to read this 2004 ESPN article which supports the true "source" of the increased focus to this rule. Expect more illegal contact penalties in 2004

2. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Something is starting to bother me about Tony Dungy these days. The man is a good Christian man and I know helps people, etc but when I hear his commentary about games, etc, there is almost a whine to his analysis and what is going on. It is like you can hear the natural bent toward teams or against teams in his commentary. Before the SB he was really all over the "Colts can't be beat with Peyton" train. Of course he would be. But the argument wasn't even debatable to him. One of the reasons people thought he couldn't get those strong TB teams over the top is they said he was soft as a coach. They then said that with the Colts until the one SB win. It just seems like the "we should be given everything" syndrome. I respect and like the Colts teams for what they do every year but this article kind of confirms what I've thought all along.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Yeah, as a guy who followed those Tampa teams, he always was like this. Seems to make alot of excuses when things didn't go his way. Also, to have a team that was as good as the Colts all those years and only have 1 ring, only one SB appearence, and all those one and dones, is telling. A very over-rated coach, IMO.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

The illegal contact rule made no sense when it was enacted and it still doesn't. Just another unfair rule to try to give offenses even more of an advantage.

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is what I was saying years ago. Very overrated

Caldwell almost did in his rookie season as a HC what it took Dungy a career to do,

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

To play devil's advocate, a holding penalty will get called whether its an advantage or not. You see this on punt or kick returns a lot. A sensless block in the back or a holding that has zero effect on the play.

7. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

I would expect offensive teams to want this rule in place...a large portion of the passing game is on timing...anything that disrupts that is an advantage for the defense...the defensive side of me says so what, adjust to the game and move on...but maybe changing it to a 5yd penalty only and no automatic 1st down could be a compromise...the Colts are a finesse offensive team so you anything physical causes them problems, its not like this is football

8. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

That why Pereira's comments seem silly to me. Most calls are supposed to be made withOUT consideration of advantage / disadvantage to a particular play. The reason you have guys like the "Head Linesman" and "Back Judge" is to allow specialization of officiating duties during the game.

ex. - The Head Linesman shouldn't have to worry about whether the Offense gains any "advantage" from only having 6 guys on the line on a given play, only that he should throw the flag because there weren't 7. (Per the HoF in Canton, this particular rule was made in the era of the flying wedge when fatalities were quite a bit higher due to the use of this formation.)

As for the basis of the "Illegal Contact" rule, I thought everyone knew that the Colts were behind it (due to the Pats DBs getting away w/ murder). If the officials (prior to the rule) had been enforcing all teams equally to begin with, it probably wouldn't have been necessary to enact a change.