IF you had to choose

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Dime, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Dime

Dime Hall of Fame

Between LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson.... Who would you take?

2. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

3. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Landry

We got ahman green, we can lust after McFadden next year...but CC Brown is our starter for craps sake

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Peterson. Landry is probably the best defensive back in this draft (I'm including corners and safeties), but Peterson is probably the best pure running back prospect to come out since Ricky Williams. Reggie Bush is a better all-around talent, but he wasn't as good a runner at USC as Peterson was at Oklahoma. The Texans need a playmaker on offense. Peterson would be it.

5. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Without question, Adrian Peterson. A franchise running back versus a very good safety? It's a no brainer to me.

6. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Well said. McFadden, in my opinion, is worth trading up to the first pick next year. It's worth dreaming about...

7. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Yep that makes two of us. I pick taking a shot at Darren McFaddin. That's two of us. I take Levi this year.

8. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

actually, thats 3...

9. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

next LT...put me in as 4.

10. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'd love to have McFadden but unless we have another 2-14 season I don't think we'll be able to get him.

11. threetoedpete

If you don't take Levi..Salaam is your starter with Jordan Black as the backup. You don't have to be Joel Bushbaum to know what's coming next. They stand pat, they'll be close enough to breath on McFaddin next draft that's for sure.

12. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Landry please.

Our pass defense is an absolute mess, Landry pulls things together and gets the defense to a whole different level.

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'd take peterson probably. I don't even want to think about how much we'd have to give up for McFadden..he's going to be awesome and go #1 unless he pulls a Michael Bush in the 1st game.

If peterson was available at 8..we'd get trade offers, I'd see about some sorta 3 team trade where we only move down 2 spots so we can Get Landry and an extra pick.

If I had to stay put I'd say peterson.

Next year there are three stud LT..depending on how our line is...i'm looking at them baker, long, gaither. also is brohm qb, mcfadden, rice, slaton, etc. mario manningham, urrutia..wr , antoine cason cb..etc There's a really good Safety from miami coming out next year too i believe.

14. Exithios

Exithios Veteran

I agree, Peterson would, in all likelyhood, be the face of our franchise. McFadden is a nice prospect for next years draft BUT arn't we hoping that we aren't in the hat for a top ten pick in 08?

15. threetoedpete

Yep what I can't figgure out is why it's not ok to put the franchise RB on the the stoves back burner. But the OLT on the other hand ...it's always next year for this team. No one wants to pick the linch pin of the o-line high.

I dunno Exithos....seems reseasonable to me. If you've seen the pattern befor, shouldn't you expect the same results ? I do not see a reach here.

16. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Adrian Peterson without a doubt. He makes an immediate impact, and he'll come at a reasonable price for a RB if taken in the top 10. No doubt that Landry is a great player, but his impact as a safety isn't near the impact Peterson would make as a RB. If you're going to pay top dollar for a guy by picking him in the top 10 you go for the best player who gives you the most bang for your buck.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I'm with y'all on McFadden. If Calvin Johnson is gone we go defense. :dance2:

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'll take Peterson, no ifs ands or buts.

Next year, we're going to either start David, or Sage, and maybe a rookie if our season goes South early. I know it's not the consensus around here, but I would have no problem seeing CCBrown & Glenn Earl in the backfield, if we can upgrade one of our CBs.

or:

Without Question, Laron Landry...

We've got Ahman, Gado, Taylor, & Lundy. Lundy shows a lot of promise I think if we can get the ZBS thing down up front. He may never be the next LT, or Suan Alexander. But with our system, so what.

Then again, Levi Brown looks to be a bonafide ZBS LT... I'd imagine our running game would improve quite a bit with him.

Then again....

I don't know.... so many good options.

19. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Landry are teh pwn

20. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

ASSUMING we do not/cannot trade (if that is a parameter of this inquiry), then I take AD, in full recognition of the fact that Landry is a beast and would address a secondary that is weak weak weak. Peterson is a phenomenal RB and a Texas native: so he fits functionally and from a marketing perspective. Ahman Green is a stop-gap solution. Nothing wrong with Green and Peterson in the backfield.

All of that said: if both Landry and Peterson are on the board at 8, the phone will ring. And I would listen to offers, and consider them carefully. As the Texans (pretend) GM, I have many holes to fill, and if I can trade back a bit, amassing picks and still getting someone like Reggie Nelson, Chris Houston, or Leon Hall, or heck, even Levi Brown, I am most certainly weighing my options for trading.

In short: Peterson. Who I still believe will NOT be available at #8. In that case: Landry.