IF we only addressed the lines this offseason

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jmerog, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

For the sake of this thread Vince and Bush Do not exist!

If we were to only address the lines this off season,What positions/ players would you change on:

#1 O-line
    #2 D-line

What effect do you think it would have:

#3 on the Running game?
    #4 on the passing game?
    #5 on Win/loss next year?

On Davids health insurance...jk,...well

I am including TE as line

Runner likes this.
  2. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

Does anyone think we have a legitimate chance to get Bentley?

3. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I would start with a true 4-3 defensive end in round 1.
    Next I would take the highest rated OT in round 2. We could keep Pitts at LT and start our rookie at the other end. We'll be keeping Wade so we could move him inside to guard. Weigert or McKinney would play the left guard and Hogdon could hold down the center spot.
    Getting a balanced TE in the third round would be ideal.
    Hopefully younger free agent Offensive and defensive linemen will be available but if we build strickly through the draft the 4th - 7th rounds should rotate with D Line and O Line.

The one thing that every playoff team had in common this year was a good to great offensive line. Our running game would drastically improve because teams wouldnt be able to put 8 in the box. Our passing game and big play ability would sky rocket because we could sell play action and screens much more often.

jmerog likes this.
  4. TEXANFAN23435

TEXANFAN23435 Veteran

In another post, "3 Things I would Change This Year" I mention that I would swap R1 picks twice. If Bently is the man then I would trade NO our R1 pick this year, which by my other post could be a #6, 9 or 10. Could we get a better OL in the draft at any one of those three picks or an earlier pick??? Not sure but I will come back to this thread and add more after some research.

5. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

Bently is a freeagent so we wouldnt need to trade for him.. just make the pot look sweet enough from him to come to Houston... unless they franchise him.. then there's no hope.

6. TEXANFAN23435

TEXANFAN23435 Veteran

If they Franchise Him, can N.O. sign and trade him?????

7. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

They could but it would be a huge mistake cap wise to take that kinnda hit. Once Franchised he'll make what the top 5 players at center make in the league. I dont know if the Texans are willing to add that much money to an overpaid offensive line.

8. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

Getting bentley in FA and D'brick in the draft would be nice, especially if hogdon turns out to be as good as some hope. filling in pitts and wand and we could have something.and we havent even gotten to round two where we will have picked up more picks for trading down to get brick.
    BRICK- great name

9. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Not sure if NO will franchise Bentley. He has said he is interested in going to Cleveland, but he wants to do what is best for his family. Usually that means whoever is going to offer the fattest contract.

As far as the trenches. Bentley would be a huge step in the right direction. Tom Nalen coming in at a cheap 2 year deal to teach Hodgon and Mangold(draft) and we are looking better. McKinney has to restructure or he is gone as does Wade or I would just eat his contract and try and move him. I look for Mario Williams in the 1st and then Eric Winston in the second or trade back in and get him, I would settle for Jon Scott eventhough he has not looked very good but he can play RT. I take a TE in the 4th and add a LB and CB/FS before that. Another DE in the late rounds possibly a sleeper favorite of mine Chris Gocong from CalPolySci who reminds me of Kyle Vanden Boch or Jared Allen. At that point I am looking at OLINE of Pitts, Bentley, Nalen, Weigert/Mangold, Winston/Scott. DLINE of Babin/Peek, Walker, Smith, Mario Williams. We are in decent shape at that point.

10. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

BTW if Bentley is franchised he will make the average of the top 5 linemen not just centers. I think that is correct, but I will have to ask around to check.

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I am almost positive it is the average of the top 5 centers.

12. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

13. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

thanks kaiser that means his agent, who i have to believe is a good one will argue for the average of guards not centers, because that would be higher.

14. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

What do yall think we could reasonably expect to get THIS YEAR (in picks) from the jets for switching places?

15. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

and could we trade what we got to get back into round 1 at say 22-25?

16. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

2006 1,2,4 07 1, 4 we would have to give up the 06 5th and switch one 3rd.

17. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

Does anyone know what the FA tight end market looks like right now?

18. ensign_lee

ensign_lee Site Contributor

If they're high on Bush, then trading this year's first round picks + their next year's first round pick, reasonably.

I'd PREFER to get their first round pick next year AS WELL AS their 3rd or 4th this year, plus a conditional third rounder next year (based on playing time for whomever they pick).

But realistically, we're either looking at getting their second this year or else their first next year.

19. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

If we trade with the Jets (unlikely), I think all we can hope to gain in this year's draft is an additional second rounder...We'll probably get their first next year too...

20. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

The TE market is not bad, more young talent with some athletic guys but no real big names other than Randy McMichael if he gets free. I personally like Teyo Johnson and think we should sign him that gives us the ability to not draft a TE till the second day.