If we’re below .500 by mid season, and our O-line is still terrible...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Apr 8, 2019.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

No, I was talking the guy that signed a multi-year contract to coach a major school ( I think Tennessee?) then left early to coach a NFL team (Falcons?) then left mid-season to return to college ranks

CWTexansFan and dream_team like this.
  2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Bobby Petrino signed a 10 year deal with Louisville 2006. Then he signed a 5 year deal with Atlanta 2007. They traded Schaub to us, Vick got busted and Petrino bailed mid season to go to Arkansas where he coached Ryan Mallett. He's back at Louisville now.

ATXtexanfan and JB like this.
  3. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

If we're below .500 at midseason and the OL is still terrible (poll question) for whom do you root? _Cowboys _Saints _Cardinals

4. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

To answer Seegara's question, I'd root for New Orleans. Definitely not Dallas.
    But the bigger question is what to do if the Texans have 4 or fewer wins at the midpoint. IMO, if that happens and it's not due to catastrophic injuries, it will be largely due to BOB. Gaine should then dictate terms to let the OC or QB coach call the plays. Put BOB on a very short, tightly held leash. I would hesitate to replace BOB mid-season. History shows that's not a winning hand. Do that after the season.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  5. KA4Texan

KA4Texan Clueless Wonder

The day I root for the Cowboys, I'm being held at gun point and the gun is pointed at my favorite appendage.

6. HaveMercy

I'm not getting shot, especially not for the Cowboys.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. HaveMercy

Back to the question that started this thread, I think Gaine should get a new head coach who will hopefully stock up with really good assistants and develop a better offensive identify. Addition by subtraction: no more Devlin.

CWTexansFan, Mangler and infantrycak like this.
  8. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

Motion seconded!

steelbtexan and infantrycak like this.
  9. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

If the oline is the same next year Watson will be on IR by mid year

Carr Bombed and steelbtexan like this.
  10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

If the Texans are 4-4 and the injury bug hasn't been catastrophic and OBs offense is a major reason why the record is what it is, why bother keeping him on? All you're doing is increasing the risk of major injury to Watson, due to OBs ridiculous play calling and the Texans aren't likely to be winning much, anyway. I've seen all I need to see of OB to know that he's not NFL OC/HC material.

11. HaveMercy

If it really gets bad by mid-season and Gaine tries to force BOB to let the QB coach or OC call plays and lead the game planning, how would BOB react? Any man's ego would make it tough to hang around. Would he up and quit? Then who would be the interim HC? RAC is the obvious choice, but at his age he may not want the job. But RAC wouldn't mind letting someone else run the offense. And after the season, who would Cal and Gaine look at to be the next HC?

12. HaveMercy

And who would we get to be the next HC? What would be the next system? Would the new guy be any better? You might say he couldn't be any worse, but is that really true? Plenty of HCs have been / are significantly worse than BOB, who is probably middle of the pack. I'm not saying stick with BOB just because we could end up with another middle of the pack guy or worse, but we must consider that it's a roll of the dice. I guess I'm hoping that between Gaine and the new QB coach (with less hope for the impact of the new OC, though I'm waiting to see), OB will become a new and improved HC. If not and he's gone, he won't be without a job for long.

CWTexansFan and cuppacoffee like this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He got fired at Louisville

14. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

If Cal can't find someone better, he needs to sell the team.

I hope O'Brien coaches someone in the afc South next like the jaguars

15. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Its not just this coaching staff its the entire NFL and really professional sports in general. Texans aren't the first, only or last team to play guys hurt its been going on pretty much since the dawn of sports. the best players are the same way, I mean look at Watt they pretty much had to drag him off the field kicking and screaming when he got hurt. There are a lot of things you can blame the coaches for but you can't blame them for doing the same thing every other team would do if they thought it would lead to success. About the only times coaches save players is when the game absolutely means nothing like a pre-season game or if its the last game of the season and no prayer of a post season.

Not saying I agree with it but its the reality of modern professional sports.

JB likes this.
  16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Not if he takes RAC with him with their team speed

17. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Why, because you don't like O'Brien as coach? The McNairs paid a LOT of money to be NFL team owners so they can do whatever they want with it within NFL rules. Just because some, not even all just some, fans don't like the decisions they make doesn't mean anyone has the right to tell them they should sell. That would be like if you went out, bought a sports car, never drove it over 55 and then I tell you that you aren't driving it right you need to sell it.

Hate to be the barer of bad news but neither the McNairs nor the Texans overall owe the city of Houston or its fans anything just like we don't owe them anything. If you truly don't like the team then you can not spend any money on it, cheer for a different team or stop watching professional football all together. This entitled BS of "I didn't pay any money towards something but I'm going to tell the person that did what they should do with it" is really a sign of the times. And no buying a couple of jerseys or even season tickets for all 16 years still does not give you the right to tell them they should sell the team.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Maybe they will die soon

Is that better for you?

I do have the right to call them carpetbaggers

19. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Still hoping Watson gets his neck broken huh.

JB likes this.
  20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Why do you have the right?

Carr Bombed likes this.