If Vince Young was not a Longhorn

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Oilers/Texans, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Oilers/Texans

Oilers/Texans Veteran

Would there still be the lovefest for Vince Young if he had gone to OU or USC or any other college other than Texas?

2. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Easy answer! NO!!!!!!

3. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

No.

4. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

It wouldn't be as strong...but people would still lobby for him because he's from here.

The answer is NOT no, and anyone that says so it's sadly mistaken.

5. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Aahh Haaa! But what if Vince Young was an accountant from Houston? Would there be such a fuss over him?

6. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

To me it does not matter the school , I would take VY #1 !

:stirpot:

7. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

The answer is not "NO." There probably wouldn't be as MUCH hype in this area, but not for reasons that you think.

It's simple. If he wasn't playing his college ball only three hours from his hometown, not as many people from this area would have seen him play as much as they did (of course USC, Miami, etc are always on no matter where you are.)

I think that most of the VY advocates are obviously those that have seen him play most of his games (at least more than the Rose Bowl.) For the most part, the people that do not want VY are people that have not seen him play on a regular basis.

Of course a guy that is a hometown and state hero, just won the National Championship at a college three hours down the road, and his hometown holds the #1 pick in the draft...is going to get a lot of attention. But if the guy just did the same thing for OU (instead of Texas) against USC, it would still mean a lot b/c it would still upgrade a position where many think is a definite need. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.:cool:

8. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

Vince could be from New York City and the starting quarterback for USC, and I'd still want to pick him. This is about his play on the football field. Period.

9. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

For me, yes. Based on what I saw when he was in high school, I would have been watching regardless of where he attended college, as with Adrian Peterson.

10. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Of course not. If Reggie and Vince switched hometowns and schools, there is no doubt there would be a huge following of Reggie fans. That's just how it is.

11. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

But with the new team does VY have the same supporting cast??? If not, is it worse or better??? Same type of coaching??? A coach that didnt try to change him??? Same chance to show his big game skills???

Too many ifs...

12. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

shrugs...i think im an exception to the vince young because he is from texas thing, and here is why......I love watching mike vick play football...to me the mobile quarterback is the most exciting player in football...if you have a talented one, i wouldnt care if he played in BF, Iowa. I wanted mike vick to be a texan.

13. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

But what if he went to HS in Philadelphia, or Greenville Alabama, or Omaha Nebraska? The point of this argument is solely about his college career.

14. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Vince Young was the QB of a national champion, and the way they won that game was a direct result of his leadership and ability. He's been on the national stage for a couple of seasons, so people know who he is just like they know who Reggie Bush is, too.

yeah, I think people would still want him regardless of where he played if it was the same series of events (ie. Heisman nominated, winning a championship) but different school.

The dude has just got amazing upside and potential. I'm not even a Young homer/hater, but I'm amazed at his raw ability and obvious leadership traits. I'd be the first to jump on his bandwagon if he was drafted by the Texans, but it ain't gonna' happen.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

That's a cute rationale and all, but it is still a rationale and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. VY absolutely deserves to be in the discussion of options for the Texans. He is the classic more raw with a higher upside prospect to contrast to Leinart. 99% of the national media/reporting scouting/draftniks have Leinart ranked as the #1 QB prospect, often with exactly that kind of caveat for Young--possibly higher upside, but raw and not as NFL ready. If folks around here weren't playing home town favorites and the QB was actually as bad as portrayed, there would at least be a legitimate debate on Leinart vs. Young. There isn't. There isn't a single MB poster who agrees with the vast majority of non-Houstonians and argues for Leinart. Is there a legitimate debate over who should be the #1 QB--absolutely. There isn't any debate in Houston--that spells homering for VY and to support that running down DC.

16. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

This is the stupidest question, but I'm glad it's been asked again.

NOBODY wants Vince Young because he went to UT. The people who want VY want him because they see in him a once in a lifetime talent, a QB who could actually LEAD THIS TEAM for the next decade or more, and who would probably bring championships with him. In other words, a VERY SPECIAL PLAYER, sort of like Big Ben, Favre, and Cunningham all wrapped up into a single player.

Wanting him has ZERO to do with UT.

17. infantrycak

infantrycak Lead Moderator Staff Member

That is complete and utter BS or there would be a debate over who to take Leinart vs. Young. Only in Houston is there not a debate. Matter of fact, only in Houston is Young treated like the consensus #1.

18. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Speak for yourself.Thats kinda funny considering 90% of the people who want us to draft young are longhorn fans.

Funny his location says Austin

Same for any other prospect. If they had a great college career and you watch a big majority of their games then you are going to want that player more than another player that has the same amount of talent. If Bush or Lienart grew up in houston and went to UT you would barely evern hear youngs name.

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I have to admit if the Texans are going to take a QB in the first round I would want VY and im not afraid to admit that him being from houston has alot to do with it.

20. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

...maybe if he went to A&M