IF the Texans have the #1 pick in 2006

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Hookem Horns, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

This is just an "IF" thread and looking WAY ahead.

Let's say the Texans continue to play the way they are now and end up with the 1st pick of the 2006 draft.

Do the Texans give up on Carr and go with Matt Leinart? In some people's opinion, Leinart is the best college QB ever. Most feel he is going to be a lock in the NFL, of course there is no such thing as a "lock".

After watching a few USC games, I am sold on him as a great college QB and he does look like he would fit into an NFL offense and possibly be a superstar at the NFL level.

Leinart could be the best player coming out of the draft.

OR .. do the Texans learn from their past mistakes, pass up Leinart and start building in the trenches and draft according to need, not taking the best player available if that player is Leinart?

What would you do if you were GM?

2. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I say trade down and pick up an extra first rounder. Address the offensive line and get a #2 WR.

3. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

I agree. I still dont think we can determine if Carr is a bust or not untill we give him time to throw the ball. The Texans need to adress the O-line first, then go to other needs. I'm still wondering if we have the #2 reciever because Carr most of the time usually has time to look only to one wr, if we give him the time, the others recievers may emerge.

4. metalmike

metalmike Veteran

Bring UT's o-line over. by the way Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinhart all better than Reggie McNeil.

5. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

I say pick D'Brickinshaw Ferguson. That guy is a stud at LT and exactly what we need. He will immediately step in and make an impact.

6. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

And that came from where?

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Leinart is a very good College QB but he does have some flaws ..... And he has ONE BAD WHEEL .... I tend to think he is a product of the players around him .... he may not be the best player on his team ...

If the Texans have the #1 pick they DONT have the LUXURY of picking a QB .... They have far too many holes in the roster and would be better served by trading down to #2-#3 . Carr is more than a servicable QB and just needs another play maker and a bit more time to go thru his progressions .

They need help on the O-line , a #2 WR an IMPACT player on the defensive Front , a TE that can both block and catch and maybe a Running Back who can pick up the blitz .

8. yaboycm

yaboycm Veteran

P-lease

Why are we even asking?

[​IMG]

9. Fldvldog

Fldvldog Veteran

Texans cannot waste another offseason, without addressing the O-Line. See what this offseason has done for the texans? When the texans have the #1 pick, take Ferguson. He is not the slow lineman that only drives opponents. He is athletic and has excellent footwork...

10. Davis37

Davis37 All Pro

I agree. If we get the #1 pick we will trade down to someone that is dying to take Leinart and take Ferguson and also get another 1st and probally another 2nd pick. :texflag:

11. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I agree with half of what you say. I say we trade down, pick up our cornerstone LT, and then pick up a stud LB like AJ Hawk with our second first rounder. Hawk is a HAWK for the ball!

12. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Honestly, That is not a bad idea. If we coul draft the entire line, they would play cohesivly and know each other. While a great thought, I am not sure 1) we would ever be able to do that and 2) if all of the lineman are pro level

Actually if we, traded back and picked up an extra first, we could get Scott. Are there any other UT lineman worth a First rounder? If not, maybe we could then trade our 2nd first for 2 seconds plus another third. Then we would have 3 2nds and 3 thirds. We could probbaly pick up the rest of the UT line that way!

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If it comes down to us getting the #1 overall next year, definitely lets move
    back and maximize the number of picks. Some years the #1 overall has more downside than upside, like this year. But the USC QB is thought to be really special by quite a few people and we could get a lot trading down and still
    get a top 10 pick. In the top 10 there will be several very good LTs in a draft strong at that position plus we'd also get several more first day picks.

14. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Sounds like a good dream.

15. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Man can dream, right?!

16. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

Something tells me that the NY Jets will be willing to do anything to get that number 1 pick so that they can take Leinart. Pennington is out the rest of the year and I figure that the Jets will be willing to get their hands on a QB without glass bones. IF we get the number 1 we might be able to trade it to them for their first, second and maybe a second day pick. That would be helpful.

17. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I havent stopped dreaming since you said that. I would have :crying: of happiness if that realy happened.

18. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

I'll just quote myself since people STILL don't get it...

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Im so sick of hearing about Leinart Lionhart Leinart Leinart Lionhart. Its so annoying. He would do just as bad if not worse on our team.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I suspect he would do a LOT worse as he has a bad wheel and isn't very elusive anyway. Some guys have man crushes on one player or another and just pimp the snott out of him all the time.