If the Texans chose Julius Peppers ...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Bobo, May 12, 2006.

1. Bobo

Bobo Hall of Fame

... who would have been their QB for the last four years? Some NFL reject for the first one or two and then Ragone? Tony Banks? If you look at it, the alternatives weren't all that great.

2. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I am a believer that expansion teams should build from the lines out. Drafting a QB with the first pick is setting that pick up for a rough time. Yeah-hindsight really works.

I wouldn't have cared who the QB was for the first 2 years. Build a team then find someone to lead it. There were a few good QBs in the drafts after we took Carr. Even taking Carr could have been an OK choice if we had a good veteran for him to learn from for a year or 2.

Given who we had it could have been Wuerffel (sp?) or Banks. Neither would have been great but it's not like we were a great team anyways.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Alex Van Pelt was out there and at the time he was a good back up in Buffalo. At worse we could've gone with Mike Quinn who was one of the original 10 to sign with us.

4. bigtex77

bigtex77 Veteran

Mike Quinn? :yahoo:

5. bigtex77

bigtex77 Veteran

Damn, you beat me to it!!

6. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

It hasn't been an easy ride, but I like where we are now. I think (hope) that before this season is over the Carr haters will go to the basement. Kubiak and Shanahan have shown limited patience for QBs since the retirement of John Elway. So, Carr should see the writing on the wall. He has two years to prove himself to Kubiak. These next two years should be very intriguing and entertaining. If he can do the off field stuff he needs to do, Carr is perfect for this kind of offense. You don't have to be great. You just have to limit your mistakes. With all of the criticisms you can throw at Carr, a high interception rate and low completion percentage are not two of them.

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

You do not need a high priced QB to win a Super Bowl. The NFL does not subscribe to the HS philosophy that the QB rides off in the sunset with the homecoming queen. Well, maybe in Texas it still does.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I wonder if Roger Carr can come back to practices.

9. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Along with the relatives of other players that NEVER get mentioned.

10. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

11. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

The catch is, if the Texans were granted the ability to make decisions with future hindsight, then so would other teams. Then the teams picking in front of us in the regular draft would have taken those obvious choices that they skipped too.

12. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I loved watching Peppers and Leftwich play in college. I held out a faint hope that we would go Peppers 02 and Leftwich 03...oh well

13. WiiBrawler

WiiBrawler WiiMan

I really thought about that, we could have drafted a quarterback later that draft, we could have ended up with the first pick again and drafted Carson Palmer, or we could have used Tony Banks or Mike Quinn, otherwise this is a sadder picture than we already have

14. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

they would have never drafted Peppers because he didn't fit the 3-4.

Much like Mario wouldnt have been drafted under the 3-4

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I know.. that's why I only had a faint ray of hope once Capers was hired :crying:

16. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Mario does fit into the 3-4, he is bigger and stronger then Peppers was.

17. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Mario can play all line positions in the 4-3. I would bet you will see Mario lined up on the inside and outside this season. Opposing offenses are going to have a tough time game planning the Texan defense. Mario runs a 4.7 with 41 vertical leap standing 6'7" and 291 lbs....Can't Wait!!!

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

:fireball: :bowser: :mario:

19. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

If the texans chose j. peppers...didnt we do that in drafting the next peppers and then some....I think i can find a pic of him...he looks a little something like: :fireball: and sometimes something like : :mario:. His enemies look something like this: :chicken: and after meeting him may end up like this: :crutch: !!!!

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Now that would've been sweet........... oh so sweet.......

We already had Tony Banks before the draft.... i think we'd have been much better off, had we started Banks instead of Carr..... then when he was on track to set the record for most sacks....... I don't understand why they left David in there...... I mean that was just cruel..... sure, he looked fine..... but for the longevity of his career, and what he meant to this franchise...... I wouldn't have left him have a say in the matter.