If The Texans Beat The Cowboys

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gary, Aug 21, 2008.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Then I think it is safe to say that they have a wonderful shot at beating the Steelers in game one. What do you all think? Please don't say that I think we're going to beat the Steelers for sure that is NOT what I am thinking at all here. But if they win tomorrow against the Cowboys tomorrow night then you have to like our chances of winning game number one of the season.

2. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

I don't think the final score of any single preseason game has any bearing on the final score of any single regular season game.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I wouldn't read too much into practice games.

4. Polo

Polo Guest

More concerned with how we play vs if we win

5. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Evaluating players is the most important part of pre-season, not wins and losses.

With that said, Beat the Cowboys!

6. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

if the texans beat the cowboys i'm gonna call my dad and laugh.....even if it's only a preseason game....

7. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Props :thisbig:

edit: spread around blah blah blah.

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions on the final score alone Gary. Indy went what 0-4 last yr or the year before?

OTOH, since the starters are playing a full half +, I think some conclusions can be drawn. Not in the score, but by individual player performances.

I do think we have a decent chance against Pitt, but I would favor them at home at this point.

9. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Preseason means no bearing towards the regular season. I believe the Patriots and Colts usually lose most of their preseason games, then dominate in the regular season.

10. gary

gary Hall of Fame

You all know that the Cowboys are still going to play well because it is the Texans so if they do win it would be a huge plus.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I think the Texans fans put more stock in this game than the Cowboy fans do...and the players take even less. There is really no rivalry here to the players since we only play twice a decade and most of the players aren't from Dallas.

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I wasn't just talking about the score but also how each player does as well.

13. gary

gary Hall of Fame

They have a wonderful D you don't think that if the Texans put points up early in the game they'll do it against the Steelers?

14. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

QFT

Takes two to form a rivalry. Yes we hit them hard by winning Game 1 but that team is long gone and forgotten.

15. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I think we've got a decent shot at beating the Steelers regardless. That's not a prediction, but rather just the opinion that the Steelers are not quite as good as most people give them credit for, and the Texans are a little better.

I wish we were opening at home, but then again, that's always going to be the case. The Steelers are having O-Line issues, and I'm not sure where Casey Hampton stands after getting put on the active PUP list for being too out of shape to practice, so the fact we're playing them early may actually be an advantage.

But keep in mind that it's one game, and nobody should overreact to either a dominating win, or a bad looking loss. The scenario you describe is pretty similar to last year. We pretty much dominated the Cowboys in week 3 of the preseason, and then comfortably defeated a 2006 playoff team in the regular season opener (and yes, for those with short memories, that would be the now horrible Chiefs). Granted, it was at home, but I still think it's comparable. Point is we got off to more or less the start that you're describing, and while it led to our best season to date, it didn't lead to the season anybody's wanting us to have this year. Hopefully '08 is the season that we turn the corner and show both consistency, and the ability to bounce back from the inevitable poor performance.

16. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

If the Texans Beat the Cowboys...

The following week's episode of HBOs Hard Knocks will move into the "save until I delete" category of my TIVO.

17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I just think that if they beat them by a TD or more it'd be a huge mind set boost for the team and maybe light the fire under their butts that this team needs to play harder.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  18. Qman

Qman Veteran

If the Texans beat the Cowboys, can the Cowboys stop talking about the Superbowl?

Once a team of chokers always a team of chokers.

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Agreed.

20. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I think it depends how long each team plays its starters. Being the third pre-season game I think both sides will play their starters a fair amount of time. If we hang with them well while I don't put much stock into preseason it can only help the confidence of our team to hang with a team that went 13-3 last year.

Should be a good test for both sides of the ball to see where we are at.

Far as the Steelers game goes. I think we do have a good shot to win the game if we can manufacture pressure on Big Ben. The Steelers had some line issues last year and losing Faneca certainly doesn't help. After this last draft they did get explosive at the skillset positions and their Defense is still solid. Our Dline is going to have to have a good game and we're going to have to be able to run the ball and play keep away. Can't settle for Kris Brown Field Goals.