Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

If The Texans Beat The Cowboys

gary

Hall of Fame
Then I think it is safe to say that they have a wonderful shot at beating the Steelers in game one. What do you all think? Please don't say that I think we're going to beat the Steelers for sure that is NOT what I am thinking at all here. But if they win tomorrow against the Cowboys tomorrow night then you have to like our chances of winning game number one of the season.

I don't think the final score of any single preseason game has any bearing on the final score of any single regular season game.

Evaluating players is the most important part of pre-season, not wins and losses.

With that said, Beat the Cowboys!

if the texans beat the cowboys i'm gonna call my dad and laugh.....even if it's only a preseason game....

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions on the final score alone Gary. Indy went what 0-4 last yr or the year before?

OTOH, since the starters are playing a full half +, I think some conclusions can be drawn. Not in the score, but by individual player performances.

I do think we have a decent chance against Pitt, but I would favor them at home at this point.

Preseason means no bearing towards the regular season. I believe the Patriots and Colts usually lose most of their preseason games, then dominate in the regular season.

You all know that the Cowboys are still going to play well because it is the Texans so if they do win it would be a huge plus.

You all know that the Cowboys are still going to play well because it is the Texans so if they do win it would be a huge plus.
I think the Texans fans put more stock in this game than the Cowboy fans do...and the players take even less. There is really no rivalry here to the players since we only play twice a decade and most of the players aren't from Dallas.

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions on the final score alone Gary. Indy went what 0-4 last yr or the year before?

OTOH, since the starters are playing a full half +, I think some conclusions can be drawn. Not in the score, but by individual player performances.

I do think we have a decent chance against Pitt, but I would favor them at home at this point.
I wasn't just talking about the score but also how each player does as well.

I think the Texans fans put more stock in this game than the Cowboy fans do...and the players take even less. There is really no rivalry here to the players since we only play twice a decade and most of the players aren't from Dallas.
They have a wonderful D you don't think that if the Texans put points up early in the game they'll do it against the Steelers?

QFT

Takes two to form a rivalry. Yes we hit them hard by winning Game 1 but that team is long gone and forgotten.

Then I think it is safe to say that they have a wonderful shot at beating the Steelers in game one. What do you all think? Please don't say that I think we're going to beat the Steelers for sure that is NOT what I am thinking at all here. But if they win tomorrow against the Cowboys tomorrow night then you have to like our chances of winning game number one of the season.

I think we've got a decent shot at beating the Steelers regardless. That's not a prediction, but rather just the opinion that the Steelers are not quite as good as most people give them credit for, and the Texans are a little better.

I wish we were opening at home, but then again, that's always going to be the case. The Steelers are having O-Line issues, and I'm not sure where Casey Hampton stands after getting put on the active PUP list for being too out of shape to practice, so the fact we're playing them early may actually be an advantage.

But keep in mind that it's one game, and nobody should overreact to either a dominating win, or a bad looking loss. The scenario you describe is pretty similar to last year. We pretty much dominated the Cowboys in week 3 of the preseason, and then comfortably defeated a 2006 playoff team in the regular season opener (and yes, for those with short memories, that would be the now horrible Chiefs). Granted, it was at home, but I still think it's comparable. Point is we got off to more or less the start that you're describing, and while it led to our best season to date, it didn't lead to the season anybody's wanting us to have this year. Hopefully '08 is the season that we turn the corner and show both consistency, and the ability to bounce back from the inevitable poor performance.

If the Texans Beat the Cowboys...

The following week's episode of HBOs Hard Knocks will move into the "save until I delete" category of my TIVO.

I just think that if they beat them by a TD or more it'd be a huge mind set boost for the team and maybe light the fire under their butts that this team needs to play harder.

Last edited:
If the Texans beat the Cowboys, can the Cowboys stop talking about the Superbowl?

Once a team of chokers always a team of chokers.

I think it depends how long each team plays its starters. Being the third pre-season game I think both sides will play their starters a fair amount of time. If we hang with them well while I don't put much stock into preseason it can only help the confidence of our team to hang with a team that went 13-3 last year.

Should be a good test for both sides of the ball to see where we are at.

Far as the Steelers game goes. I think we do have a good shot to win the game if we can manufacture pressure on Big Ben. The Steelers had some line issues last year and losing Faneca certainly doesn't help. After this last draft they did get explosive at the skillset positions and their Defense is still solid. Our Dline is going to have to have a good game and we're going to have to be able to run the ball and play keep away. Can't settle for Kris Brown Field Goals.

If the Texans beat the Cowboys. Cowboy fans will say it is just preseason. However, if the Cowboys win all the media in Texas will act as if this was a playoff clincher for the Cowboys.

That being said, the greatest thing about Preseason is that it doesn't count.

Note about the Steelers - Can we please cover Santonio Holmes and Heinz Ward? Holmes is the deep threat. (Just in case our DC is reading and needs some pointers)

If the texans beat the cowboys it'll be a first. I don't beleive that the cowboys have beaten the Texans in Reliant nor the Texans in Dallas's stadium. That'd be a great feeling. Are they in there new cursed stadium yet?

It isn't a rivalry. Cowboys fans don't look at us as a team that is their rival since we never play each other in the regular season. Its like the idea of the little kid trying to pick a fight with the bigger kid. The bigger kid turns around and says, oh, who are you again? Same idea.

I think it's sorta weird that we hate the Cowboys so much, but they don't think much of us. One-sided rivalry? :thinking:

Like the poster above me said, we're the little kid at the park trying to pick a fight with the big kid, but the big kid only fight with other big kids.

Señor Stan;977999 said:
If the Texans Beat the Cowboys...

The following week's episode of HBOs Hard Knocks will move into the "save until I delete" category of my TIVO.

My thoughts exactly. You stole my thunder.

I think it's sorta weird that we hate the Cowboys so much, but they don't think much of us. One-sided rivalry? :thinking:

Like the poster above me said, we're the little kid at the park trying to pick a fight with the big kid, but the big kid only fight with other big kids.

Personally speaking, I don't really care one way or another for the Cowboys. I am a native Houstonian, and grew up watching them as much as the Oilers. Over the years, however, the Cowboy fans have turned me into a Dallas hater. About the only Cowboys that I have any give-a-damn about are Jerry Jones, TO, and Romo. Jones and TO just annoy me, and Romo makes me laugh - especially that whole fumbled snap debacle in the playoffs, LOL.

I take much more enjoyment from needling Cowboy fans than I actually do from whether the Cowboys win or lose.

I don't think the final score of any single preseason game has any bearing on the final score of any single regular season game.

Well said. Preseason is just that and has no bearing on the season to me. Keep guys healthy is the motto and get reps for the starters.

Thanks for finally saying what others have been trying to explain for a long time. If you had a brother that had 5 gold medals and you beat him in a race a long time ago, would you constantly talk about how you beat him as a kid, etc?Thought= I love a majority of the people here and root for the Texans, etc, I'm a Cowboy fan at heart. But when I grew up in Ft. Worth we all thought Earl was great and the Oilers were the second favorite team. It is a one way street and it is a constant on this board. If you want to know why Cowboy fans respond, look at what happens in these threads. I mean on 610 this morning Adam C was trying to explain why people hate the Cowboys and some of the people calling in were embarrassing.

If the Texans beat the Cowboys. Cowboy fans will say it is just preseason. However, if the Cowboys win all the media in Texas will act as if this was a playoff clincher for the Cowboys.

That being said, the greatest thing about Preseason is that it doesn't count.

But it is just preseason. All of the early 90s Cowboy SB teams had losing preseasons and one of them went 0-4. The texans won last lear but it didn't affect the Cowboys regular season or the Texans really. It is a tune up and means nothing. You are more likely to find Texans fans talking alot if they win. I don't care as long as the injury report says nothing.

Being a preseason game the final score doesnt concern me as much as the following list of things ....

Im more concerned with the offense remaining consistant , the starters have looked very good in the passing game even w/o AJ. They lead the NFL in completion % by a margin of 5.7% . A combined 126.7 passer rating , the QB's look fantastic .(who doesnt expect that from a Kubiak coached team?)

Continue to keep penalties and turnovers to a minimum . Two Offensive penalties in two games (in the pre-season no less) is a very encouraging sign.

The O-line's performance Vs. a very good 3-4 defense. This may be the biggest factor in an otherwise meaningless game . The Cowpies have some good rushers off the edge and were third in the NFL in sacks last season behind Ne and NYG . This will be a good test for the O-line . Can D.Brown continue to build upon his success thus far or does the 3-4 give him something to work on ?

While the running game is still suspect. It has produced 128 ypg in the preseason averaging 36 carries and 3.6 ypc. The only number that bothers me is the ypc . I'd like to see it above 4.0 although that might be a lofty expectation this season.
Who emerges as our starting RB. Someone has to step up and win the job . I dont expect a thing out of A.Green , can Taylor , Slaton , Walker or Brown take control of that spot ?

And can the defense find a way to put some heat on the opposing QB . One sack over the two previous pre-season games isnt very encouraging. I'd like to see more out of this unit as the teams secondary is going to look awful without a solid pass rush . Granted the "Aints were #1 in protecting the QB last season only allowing 16 sacks , (the Bronco's were 16th allowing 32).

Finally , can JJ find a way to hold onto the ball on punt returns or must we find another option ? No doubt that he can take it to the house but the kid has to hold onto the ball first and foremost.

If the Texans beat the Cowboys, can the Cowboys stop talking about the Superbowl?

Once a team of chokers always a team of chokers.

Nope , this game means nothing once the regular season starts . A loss in the pre-season Vs. an up and coming team like the Texans will not take the Cowpies out of the "Talk of a Superbowl"....They are media darlings . The Cowpies , as much as we may hate them have a legit chance to get there . They will start the season 0-0 like everyone else but to see them in the Superbowl isnt an un-realistic expectation.

Thanks for finally saying what others have been trying to explain for a long time. If you had a brother that had 5 gold medals and you beat him in a race a long time ago, would you constantly talk about how you beat him as a kid, etc?Thought= I love a majority of the people here and root for the Texans, etc, I'm a Cowboy fan at heart. But when I grew up in Ft. Worth we all thought Earl was great and the Oilers were the second favorite team. It is a one way street and it is a constant on this board. If you want to know why Cowboy fans respond, look at what happens in these threads. I mean on 610 this morning Adam C was trying to explain why people hate the Cowboys and some of the people calling in were embarrassing.

But it is just preseason. All of the early 90s Cowboy SB teams had losing preseasons and one of them went 0-4. The texans won last lear but it didn't affect the Cowboys regular season or the Texans really. It is a tune up and means nothing. You are more likely to find Texans fans talking alot if they win. I don't care as long as the injury report says nothing.

Frog, I invite you as I have invited others who post here to come down and goto a game at 3rd Base. I will let you borrow one of my Jerseys so they do not know your a cowboys fan and you can see how and what we deal with. I know not all cowboy fans are loud obnuctious A-Holes but the ones that are sure do make sure you know about it. Ever since I moved to Austin it has either been I suck cause I wear my ND gear or I suck cause I wear my Texans gear. Just look into the vy thread and see how ut folks act a lot of time. Just read what sh spewed. That is the same time of crap I have heard from cowboys fans. Most of the guys who post on here from Austin will tell you we never started any smack talk it was always after our game and right as the cowboys were about to begin.

So when the Texans win, you damn right I will laugh at any cowgirl fan that once to start in on me.

Frog, I invite you as I have invited others who post here to come down and goto a game at 3rd Base. I will let you borrow one of my Jerseys so they do not know your a cowboys fan and you can see how and what we deal with. I know not all cowboy fans are loud obnuctious A-Holes but the ones that are sure do make sure you know about it. Ever since I moved to Austin it has either been I suck cause I wear my ND gear or I suck cause I wear my Texans gear. Just look into the vy thread and see how ut folks act a lot of time. Just read what sh spewed. That is the same time of crap I have heard from cowboys fans. Most of the guys who post on here from Austin will tell you we never started any smack talk it was always after our game and right as the cowboys were about to begin.

So when the Texans win, you damn right I will laugh at any cowgirl fan that once to start in on me.

Hey, if you say so Spec, I believe you. I know many people say they get harassed. I have just never been on the a-hole end of it and haven't seen my friends or family act that way either. Also, alot of my life was in Ft. Worth so there wasn't the hate for Houston. When I moved here people were complete a-holes to me for being a Cowboys fan but I don't hold it against the whole fanbase. I just know that each fanbase has their losers.

I just don't get being excited over preseason, knowing nothing is on the line. People here went nuts and it meant nothing. Its like they thought the Cowboys were going to put in that effort and play that way once the regular season started and the pressure was on.

But sorry you take the heat. I'll sit and have a beer.:toast2:

I will let you borrow one of my Jerseys so they do not know your a cowboys fan and you can see how and what we deal with.

I wear Texans gear a great deal of the off work time including lots of trips to Austin. I haven't ever been harassed. Maybe it's where you hang out? :shades:

...... I know not all cowboy fans are loud obnuctious A-Holes but the ones that are sure do make sure you know about it.........

Yeah, that's the deal. There's some very obnoxious Dallas fans in the Houston area as well that are just very classless "winners". I've never understood this mentality - never understood how someone could derive pleasure (?) from rubbing it in. Just because the team they've elected to follow is successful that gives them the right to act like jerks?

I had a roommate once who was like this. He was just intolerable on the Sundays when the Cowboys won and the Oilers lost. Couldn't stand the SOB on those days.....

IMO, the Houston "hate" is really not for Dallas or the team but for these types of "fans".... I know deep down, I'm pretty much neutral towards Dallas bordering on apathetic - couldn't care less... I very rarely go out of my way to catch a Dallas game on TV unless it is playoffs or prime time....

Once a team of criminals (90's) always a team of criminals (Pac Man, Tank...)

That really makes no sense since this thread is right above one with a Texan getting arrested. Stop living off the early 90s. I mean the Rockets just signed a guy that "allegedly" beat his wife.

I wear Texans gear a great deal of the off work time including lots of trips to Austin. I haven't ever been harassed. Maybe it's where you hang out? :shades:

Generally speaking going to the store or what not, no issues. Sitting in a bar watching sports .. yeah.

It isn't a rivalry. Cowboys fans don't look at us as a team that is their rival since we never play each other in the regular season. Its like the idea of the little kid trying to pick a fight with the bigger kid. The bigger kid turns around and says, oh, who are you again? Same idea.

Yeah, right. Tell that to the goofball Cowboy fans that came to Reliant and were acting like donkeys before the game.

The Cowboys truly wanted to win that preseason game last year--they kept their starters in for a long time.

Do you think Wade Phillips wants to lose to Houston again? Bob McNair and Jerry Jones are fairly close--I don't think Jones wants to taste a loss, even if it is preseason.

i grew up a diehard aggie. bled maroon, hated burnt orange, the whole nine. it wasn't until years later that i realized that the aggies true rival is the longhorns, but the longhorns true rival is the sooners. i literally had no idea. we hate them sooooo much, how can they not hate us back equally.

the fact is, the bully Cowboys do want to win those games but they are also the bigger brother who turns around and says "who are you again? and then thwacks us on the head".

so both are kind of true. they want to beat us but it's more like kicking sand on the scrawny guy than hating him.

indifference is much more insulting. that's why we hate them.

If our first team plays well against their first team do you all think it's going to help our team?

i grew up a diehard aggie. bled maroon, hated burnt orange, the whole nine. it wasn't until years later that i realized that the aggies true rival is the longhorns, but the longhorns true rival is the sooners. i literally had no idea. we hate them sooooo much, how can they not hate us back equally.

the fact is, the bully Cowboys do want to win those games but they are also the bigger brother who turns around and says "who are you again? and then thwacks us on the head".

so both are kind of true. they want to beat us but it's more like kicking sand on the scrawny guy than hating him.

indifference is much more insulting. that's why we hate them.

The guys on 1530 was talking about it today, and sorta compare us to A&M and the Cowboys to Texas. Said that we were still living off of that first game against them, and that everytime he watches a Cowboy games(at sport bar), that the Texan fans would bring up that game saying "Hey didn't we own you guys on our first game". They said that we act as if that game was the highlight of our franchise, which is pretty sad IMO, so we needa just let that go and stop bringing it up.

Have you ever actually had a conversation with a Dallas fan? They only talk about how much we suck and how many rings they have. They insist that they will make the Superbowl and that our team is pathetic. How soon they forget a 1-15 season. No wonder Texan fan brings up our first game. We are a young, struggling franchise that is just starting to get on the right track. After a couple of good seasons we will have more to brag about than our first game.

The guys on 1530 was talking about it today, and sorta compare us to A&M and the Cowboys to Texas. Said that we were still living off of that first game against them, and that everytime he watches a Cowboy games(at sport bar), that the Texan fans would bring up that game saying "Hey didn't we own you guys on our first game". They said that we act as if that game was the highlight of our franchise, which is pretty sad IMO, so we needa just let that go and stop bringing it up.

Have you ever actually had a conversation with a Dallas fan? They only talk about how much we suck and how many rings they have. They insist that they will make the Superbowl and that our team is pathetic. How soon they forget a 1-15 season. No wonder Texan fan brings up our first game. We are a young, struggling franchise that is just starting to get on the right track. After a couple of good seasons we will have more to brag about than our first game.

The thing is that Dallas fans claim that it is always the Texans talking trash and not them. Really? 2005 2-14 and we are talking trash? No sir I am sorry but I have yet to see it. (I am sure it happens) At any bar I have been to I have never seen a Texan fan start with you guys suck. No it is always a cowgirl say we suck and to call them when we got 5 rings or how could you ever be a fan of such a pathetic franchise (must be a bandwagon fan) . The guy on 1530 probably did not go to a single sports bar on a sunday morning when the Texans were playing and watch as the cowgirl fan comes strolling in like his **** don't stink. Barrett, BigWig, Dalemurphy, Hookin Red and a host of others can testify as to the things that were said. Hell Bigwig brought his daughter and left a bit early so as to make sure she did not hear the crap the cowgirls would say each and everytime they came in.

Maybe they do not think it is a rivalry, but this notion from some of the cowgirl fans as to there is only one franchise in this state only rivals the spewage from some ut as to living in Austin and not being a ut butt kisser.

I disagree. If you live in Austin and wear anything Houston, someone is bound to come up and tell you that you are wearing the wrong jersey or team. Or anytime you show the Texans doing something, they'll start talking about their Cowboys. I hope we slap them silly tonight.

Pre-season wins = fool's gold.

The only thing that matters to me is when the outcome of games actually go on record. I have seen too many good pre-seasons turn into regular season mush, and too many bad pre-seasons mean absolutely nothing when good teams come out of the gate for regular season. Heck, many teams are not necessarily playing to win. They are using these glorified, full-priced practices to evaluate talent and get some playing time in for their starters.

Bring on the Steelers! Which Texans team shows up will only be known on September 7.

Pre-season wins = fool's gold.

The only thing that matters to me is when the outcome of games actually go on record. I have seen too many good pre-seasons turn into regular season mush, and too many bad pre-seasons mean absolutely nothing when good teams come out of the gate for regular season. Heck, many teams are not necessarily playing to win. They are using these glorified, full-priced practices to evaluate talent and get some playing time in for their starters.

Bring on the Steelers! Which Texans team shows up will only be known on September 7.

I hate to say you're right but you are! Ha! :winky:

Just joking.

The starters know who they are and a handful of guys are playing for roster spots.

At the end of the year most folks will have to look up what their teams record was in preseason.

J. McClain was talking about it on 610 this morning. The Colts have a horrible preseason record and they're been just fine I think for some years now when the season rolled around.

The Steeler game is the big test!

I just look at this as b.s. In 30 + years of being a fan I've never seen fans just talk like this unless they are 1)ignorant 2) young 3) drunk beyond belief. I think half of this stuff is the places you go and the people that are there. It's unreal the weal stuff I read on here.

The thing is that Dallas fans claim that it is always the Texans talking trash and not them. Really? 2005 2-14 and we are talking trash? No sir I am sorry but I have yet to see it. (I am sure it happens) At any bar I have been to I have never seen a Texan fan start with you guys suck. No it is always a cowgirl say we suck and to call them when we got 5 rings or how could you ever be a fan of such a pathetic franchise (must be a bandwagon fan) . The guy on 1530 probably did not go to a single sports bar on a sunday morning when the Texans were playing and watch as the cowgirl fan comes strolling in like his **** don't stink. Barrett, BigWig, Dalemurphy, Hookin Red and a host of others can testify as to the things that were said. Hell Bigwig brought his daughter and left a bit early so as to make sure she did not hear the crap the cowgirls would say each and everytime they came in.

Maybe they do not think it is a rivalry, but this notion from some of the cowgirl fans as to there is only one franchise in this state only rivals the spewage from some ut as to living in Austin and not being a ut butt kisser.

Look at this thread. There are at least 3 threads a week on here that turn into "Cowboys suck" talk. Its obsessive. That is the trash that Cowboy fans talk about. For people who claim Cowboy fans are so obnoxious look at the threads and the childish taunts in them. Listen to sports radio around here. You won't here that stuff elsewhere unless it is a real rivalry.

I think there are some thin skinned people out there because there is also trash talking going on. As long as it isn't personal, who cares. I don't take the tanunts about the Cowboys as a representative of ENTIRE fanbases.

I know when I came here as a new Texasn type fan that had a loyalty elsewhere that I would have to deal with it....afterall, it is a Texans board...but it really does border on obsessive ex-girlfriend at times while the ex-girlfriend has no memory of you anymore.

I'm sorry if people deal with drunks in bars or fans in the stands or whatever but I think every fan base does.

Last edited:
There should be a 5 year moratorium on mentioning "19-10" from Texans fans. Every time I see somebody mention that one win against a bad Cowboys team that's as changed today as we are I cringe. Just shut up about it because it doesn't mean anything anymore. Every time somebody steps in front of a camera and starts babbling about the 2002 season opener the rest of the NFL collectively gives us this "Isn't it sad how those poor Texans fans are" look and then they go pay attention to something that interests them (like a winning team or a great player (something we've had precious little of in the past 6 years). The only way to stop that stuff is to put together some winning seasons and start kicking the snot out of other teams.

Back