If the NFL embraced BCS instead of the playoffs

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by AnthonyE, Jan 6, 2012.

1. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...tead-silly-playoffs-191623837.html#more-15336

There are some pretty funny ones in there, including the Texans bowl game.

2. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

lol... some funny stuff there... but this one bugged me:

Hyundai Bowl: Baltimore Ravens vs. Detroit Lions

It's a shame that Baltimore won its division and still got shut out of the BCS, but it's just that the Steelers fans travel so well. The Doritos people couldn't say no to the Tebow vs. Roethlisberger, good vs. evil storyline. Also, from what I understand, the Ford family isn't thrilled with their placement in the Hyundai Bowl and will refuse the trophy if they win it.

I hate hearing how well Steelers fans "travel"... they don't "travel" any further than the home-team's fans travel because they live freaking everywhere... every time I turn over a big rock while out walking in the woods I find three things: ants, some worms or something and a Steelers fan... they're like roaches...

Dread-Head likes this.
  3. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Hands down the funniest line of the article.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think the "travel" thing is more of a figure of speech when talking about the Steelers.

We are used to hearing it about college teams, where the fans actually do travel to bowl games.

But with pro teams, I have always thought it meant that the team will have many fans everywhere, because Steelers fans are a bunch of bandwaggoning jackrabbits who are a nothing but shallow simpletons because they won't root for their hometown teams!

Or something like that...

:D [/sarcasm]

5. drunkcookie

drunkcookie 2 drunk 2 cook

That's the deal, I always hear it about college teams, so when I hear it about an NFL tea, I mean The Steelers, I associate it with actually "travelling"... ha, but you're probably right...

But either way, that was my point: it has more to do with them being everywhere, then them travelling everywhere...

6. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

That's pretty ****ing stupid. I'd kill to see a Texans/Giants game. Would be a great game.

7. Blake

Blake MMQB

Funny stuff. Good article.

8. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Nah, you shouldn't be offended. They rip every team they put on there. I actually took it as a compliment that they didn't go into details on why it was a bad matchup.

9. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

The Steelers are my #2 team...and even I have to admit THAT'S funny! BTW I live under a big rock and there are lots of slugs and lawyers under here too.

10. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

First time I cheered for the Steelers (whom I hated as an Oiler fan) was in 1996 when they play the Cowboys in Superbowl XXX. I asked myself "who do you hate MORE in this equation?" And the answer was OBVIOUSLY the Cowboys. Hell if Satan fielded a team and played the Cowboys in a Superbowl I'd be cheering for him. I didn't become a Steeler fan until two seasons later when it sunk in that the Oilers were gone and the local media was trying to shove the Cowboys down my damn throat.
    The Steeler nation became my #2 Team when Bob McNair decided to call his new franchise the "Texans" rather than the "Rough necks" and the Newly minted Houston Texans beat the damn Cowboys 19-10 in their first game EVER!

11. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Ya, I know it's satirical....but I think the satire wasn't done well for ours. As if NOBODY would want to see that matchup. As if it was like Cleveland and Seattle or something.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'd probably put us in the same breath as those teams actually when it comes to how much people care about the Texans around the country. Shoot, Seattle's been around for 30+ years and still nobody cares about them. It is what it is.

13. Double Barrel

yeah, that's cool, because you are a Texans fan first and foremost.

The bandwagon fans that live in a city but root for another team, even when they have never even visited that team's city, are the ones that I'm talking about.

We have many of them right here in H-town rooting for the Cowboys, even though they have never lived or even visited Dallas.

When it comes to the Titans or Cowboys, I root for whoever they are playing against. And even my boy knows that there is one time that we can hold our noses and root for the Cowboys: WHEN THEY PLAY THE TITANS.

14. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

In that rare instance, I always hope for a draw, or some kind of condition that forces the game to be cancelled.

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I just can't understand this. The Steelers kept the Oilers out of the SB for a long, long time even times which might have ended up with a Cowboys v. Oilers SB for example the 1978 SB (Wade Phillips defensive line coach). That's who I would hate long before expending energy on a team who never did anything to your favorite team. I hate fans over what fans do and teams over what teams do.

16. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

By no means a Steeler fan but I was in the same boat. Terrible game and the only game I can remember where I finished watching and everyone, even the Cowboy fans, thought it looked like the fix was in LOL.

17. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I disagree with this entirely. I live in Wichita Falls (former home of the Cowboys training camp) and this is very much Cowboys country. When I first heard that Houston was getting a team they became my team. Period. I was 14/15 at the time and had never really been to Houston. It wasn't until 2008 that I was able to visit when my wife and I got married. We went on a cruise out of Galveston, and the first thing I made her do is drive by Reliant so I could see it (during the month of June), but we were only passing through. It wasn't for another year and a half that I was able to attend my first (and to date, only) Texans game.

But to say people like me don't meet the criteria for fans is wrong. I can't even count how many games I would do nothing but sit in front of the NFL.com gamecenter and follow the game all the way through and read through the official gameday threads because I had no other options.

I'm not trying to harp on you or anything, but there are plenty of fans who have never been to a city that are real fans. That's what the NFL builds itself off of.

18. Double Barrel

Please allow me to clarify. I NEVER judge another person's level of being a fan. It's just not who I am or what I'm about.

We were talking in the context of living in Houston but not rooting for the Houston team, but instead choosing to root for other teams simply because they are winning. I have lived my whole life in Houston, and have encountered so many Cowboys fans who talk trash about Houston's football team while rooting for a team in a city that they have no connection to.

My point is that I just don't get these particular folks.

But I certainly understand living somewhere without a hometown team and choosing a team to root for. We did not have football in Houston for 6 years, so I had little choice but to find other teams to follow. I never bought any gear, but I was rooting for the Broncos during Elway's last two Super Bowl runs. My buddy, another lifelong Oilers fan, chose Green Bay because he was born in Wisconsin.

But once the Texans were announced, it was a no brainer. But that's because I live in Houston, and I can't fault anyone that lives somewhere without a team choosing whatever team that they desire. Hope all that makes sense.

As far as my rant on the Steelers, it's just part of Houston football history. So I am biased in that regard and make no bones about it.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yep. I will always, always, ALWAYS hate the Pittsburgh Steelers. The fact that the refs seem to always be in their damn pocket doesn't help matters.

20. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

I understand what you're getting at, but keep in mind that while the Cowboys aren't a "hometown" team, Wichita Falls is both an official secondary market and essentially a far suburb of Dallas. So, it is pretty much what you say in my case: Cowboys fans are everywhere and I am the odd one who chooses to be a different fan. In fact, when people that don't know me well find out I'm a Texans fan, the first question I always get is "are you from Houston?"

I guess my greater point is that I don't see a person as being a bandwagon fan just because they are a fan of a team outside of the one in which they live, even if they are from that city. I never took to the Cowboys, just wasn't in me. Almost all of my friends did. That's just the way it went. Perhaps I am just saying something a little different than you, though.