Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"If" Mario leaves for greener pastures, then what?

It's been sourced several times that the Texans are right up against the cap. Does it have to be sourced every time it's mentioned?

That couldn't be further from the truth. Honestly, do you or anyone else think we are right up against the cap given that we have tons of money coming off the books? There is simply no way that could be the case unless the Texans were 30+ million over the cap this year. It's pure unadulterated bull****.

The last time I heard we were OVER the cap was August of 2011. Nobody has said anything like that since then, and anyone paying attention would know that's not the case. TexansChick interviewed Andrew Brandt last week and he said the Texans were about 5 million under the 120 mill cap, less any money coming off the books. That's not even taking into account money that may be created by an increased cap. We simply are not over the cap as the other guy said.

So yes, in the spirit of getting things right, not starting unfounded rumors and spreading even more BS than is already out there, when someone makes a statement that flies in the face of everything we have heard over the last 2 months, I would like them to cite their source. If it turns out to be their backside, then we can squash the rumor.

I think we could have stopped right there.

It has been speculated where the Texans are capwise, but never sourced. No one really knows.

Which is what I've said from the begging.

Which is also the reason I have stayed out of these threads.

Well, they better have a ton of money, because the following Saints are unrestricted free agents:

And, they will either sign Porter to a large deal or they will need to grab another free agent corner back.

first, the cap is going to be an issue. Brees, Colston, and Nicks - if they all come back, are going to cost money. We aren't up against the cap and there is room to make on the roster for more and Loomis has done a really good job of making contracts. If Brees signs before FA starts, I'm guessing the Saints tag Nicks - signing him to a longterm deal will cost money. He's asking for more than Evans money - which is reasonable, imo. Colston will not be cheap. And we will likely be re-negotiating with Graham on the near horizon.

As for the second part, re: Porter. I'm not so sure. He's our 3rd best CB and has been injury prone. He's a local guy and Super Bowl hero, and I think he'll get a bigger contract from a team needing a CB more than the Saints. The Saints are going to go with Greer and Robinson as their top 2. And they really liked the play of rookie Johnny Patrick in limited action. So I don't anticipate a "large contract" for Porter

Porter would be an upgrade for a lot of teams, but if he's looking for #2 CB money, I really don't see him getting it with the Saints. I think another team will pay more - but we'll see how much his injury history hurts him.

"If" Mario leaves for greener pastures, then what?

Then we move on just like any of the other good teams in the league. Good teams have to allow good players to leave every now and then.

I would very much like Mario to stay. But if he's too rich for us then we have to let him walk.

I think we could have stopped right there.

It has been speculated where the Texans are capwise, but never sourced. No one really knows.

It's simply impossible for the Texans to be OVER the cap at this point or even very close to the cap. We have 15+ million coming off the books for Mario alone, and more from other free agents and expiring contracts. The Texans should have at least 25 million to work with this offseason.

i say we use the money from mario to either A) get another good WR to put on the field with AJ or B) Find a good #2 CB, yes i think KJ had a good year but i think he looked good because our front 7 was good.

Any cornerback is going to look good if the front 7 was good.

Like T-Rock always says on Sirius NFL Radio ....

"You show me a Pro-Bowl caliber DB, I'll show you you a Pro-Bowl caliber DL that plays in front of him. "

It's simply impossible for the Texans to be OVER the cap at this point or even very close to the cap. We have 15+ million coming off the books for Mario alone, and more from other free agents and expiring contracts. The Texans should have at least 25 million to work with this offseason.

I'm with you, I agree with your assumption.

I'm saying your statement is correct. It has not been documented/sourced that the Texans won't have cap-room to sign their FAs, definitely not anything that says:
We are already over the cap so letting Mario walk will allow us to re-sign our FA's and give Foster a new deal.

It has never been verified that this is a "Mario or <player X>" situation.

Any cornerback is going to look good if the front 7 was good.

Like T-Rock always says on Sirius NFL Radio ....

"You show me a Pro-Bowl caliber DB, I'll show you you a Pro-Bowl caliber DL that plays in front of him. "

I think people underplay the symbiotic relationship here.

Yes a good pass rush = good pass defense.

but at the same time,

good pass defense = good pass rush.

You gotta have both. & Kjac is good enough to help our front seven get that extra second. The pass rush is good enough that Kjac doesn't have to cover for "too long"

That couldn't be further from the truth. Honestly, do you or anyone else think we are right up against the cap given that we have tons of money coming off the books? There is simply no way that could be the case unless the Texans were 30+ million over the cap this year. It's pure unadulterated bull****.

The last time I heard we were OVER the cap was August of 2011. Nobody has said anything like that since then, and anyone paying attention would know that's not the case. TexansChick interviewed Andrew Brandt last week and he said the Texans were about 5 million under the 120 mill cap, less any money coming off the books. That's not even taking into account money that may be created by an increased cap. We simply are not over the cap as the other guy said.

So yes, in the spirit of getting things right, not starting unfounded rumors and spreading even more BS than is already out there, when someone makes a statement that flies in the face of everything we have heard over the last 2 months, I would like them to cite their source. If it turns out to be their backside, then we can squash the rumor.

Wonderful post!! Should be required reading by all!

Then we move on just like any of the other good teams in the league. Good teams have to allow good players to leave every now and then.

I would very much like Mario to stay. But if he's too rich for us then we have to let him walk.

This was implied in the opening post. The guestion is, what do we do with the money that was alloted for him.

Getting Anthony Spencer from the Cowboys to platoon with Reed opposite Barwin could be a cheap alternative. No where near Mario's level but it could open up some cap space.

Gotta love a fanblog citing a random forum poster as their source for NFL salary cap info :) His dead money calculation is interesting.

Dead Money in 2012:
Steve Slaton - 555,000
Amobi Okoye - 3,615,000
Dan Orlovsky - 2,250,000
David Anderson - 1,440,000

I don't see how Slaton is still owed money. He was a 3rd round pick in 2008, and back then the base salary usually wasn't guaranteed through 4 years. In any case, 08/09/10/11 is four years, which is the standard length of contract. Unless they somehow deferred his 2011 salary to 2012, there should be no dead money from him in 2012.

David Anderson reportedly had a buyout agreement reached this season for 333k, so he shouldn't be owed a dime next year. There's just no way the Texans guaranteed all of his 3 year deal. That's the only way that 1.4m would count against the 2012 cap.

Okoye was a first rounder and may have been due money, but I can't imagine Rick cutting him if he was still owed that much money. I think Wade could have put him at DE and done alright. 3 mill is a lot to spend on cutting him, but I guess it saved them from him executing his player option for 2012.

Orlovsky makes sense, since we signed him to that ridiculous contract. I can only imagine 6.75 mill of the 9 was guaranteed for a QB coming from an 0-16 team. Sounds like an old school Smithiak move.

Foster is not an UFA
Adibi was cut
Who is Brad Maynard & Jon Weeks?

Lol, his list has some inaccuracies they also forgot Mike Brisiel. Jon Weeks is the awkwardly shaped deep snapper and Brad Maynard didn't make it out of the preseason with us in 2011.

Is KC in some kind of cap-hell?

Really, do we think Bowe is going to leave?

They are were we were last year, probably better. 10-6 & a play-off berth in 2010. They're young & talented & now they got a coach.[/QUOTE]No offense but someone threw this statement at me before 2011 when I said Tampa Bay was not as good as 2010 record.

If the Patriots managed to get a 1st rd pick for Richard Seymour, the Texans ought to get the same value for Mario. Seymour was at same stage when Pats craftily moved on from that guy, although a player like Seymour could have made the difference today. Either way, the Patriots are an example of a team that makes tough choices to keep the team from getting stagnant. I wouldn't stop at Mario. The Stephanie Stradley poster idea is spot on. We need a superstar QB not just a guy.
Super Bowl went exactly as I wanted. Hopefully Pats will now want to add our #90 to their defense after seeing Giants' #90 play. NE's 2nd first and 2nd second would be sweet for MW.

Is KC in some kind of cap-hell?

Really, do we think Bowe is going to leave?

They are were we were last year, probably better. 10-6 & a play-off berth in 2010. They're young & talented & now they got a coach.
No offense but someone threw this statement at me before 2011 when I said Tampa Bay was not as good as 2010 record.

Was it me? I guess I just liked what I thought KC was doing. & didn't like what TB was doing. I think KC is way more talented.

While Cassel may not be the future, I think he is a better QB than Tampa Bay right now. I have no faith in Freeman whatsoever & believe TB will waste at least two more years trying to make it work.

If Peyton Manning (imo) was to go to Tampa Bay, I doubt they'll do anything significant. If Peyton were to go to KC, I bet people will notice the KC Chiefs. (Albiet the Bucs have to deal with the Saints & Falcons).

jmo

i say we use the money from mario to either A) get another good WR to put on the field with AJ or B) Find a good #2 CB, yes i think KJ had a good year but i think he looked good because our front 7 was good.

I agree with this....go sign a guy like Bowe, Colston, Meachem or Jackson and then look for another solid corner. Either way you def. sign a legit wideout if you can't sign Mario IMO

I agree with this....go sign a guy like Bowe, Colston, Meachem or Jackson and then look for another solid corner. Either way you def. sign a legit wideout if you can't sign Mario IMO
Bowe is guy I'm pushing & will be 28 sept next season.

Back