If Capers goes....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HardKnockTexan, Sep 19, 2005.

1. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

What do we do with our defense?? They have invested 4 offseason trying to get the right players to run a 3-4. Do we hire another 3-4 guy or do we retool our defense and move to the 4-3? Here's to another 5 year plan!

2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

We have the players for a 4-3. Walker, Payne, Smith, and TJ are all DT's. Babin, Peek, Anderson, someone else I'm missing are all DE's. And we have a we LB's, most notably Wong, Greenwood. Might need a few here and there, but DT looks to be strong.

3. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

with a 4-3 we would run...?
    Peek and Babin at DE
    Johnson, Walker and Smith at DT
    Wong and Greenwood at OLB.
    Who runs the defense?? who would we use at Middle Linebacker??

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

LCROD is right.

We have the d-linemen for a 4-3.

No more two-man rush on the QB.

That was just pathetic and dumb.

Yeah, the 3-4 is AWESOME!!!!

Oh, I forgot. "But other teams run it and are winning with it...."

Yeah, and THOSE teams have a great offense that keeps their defense rested, too. We don't. Gotta' have both to be effective.

5. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I really do like the 3-4. We just havent executed it correctly. The 4-3 seems to be a little safer. allows more room for error and with our inexpierence we need as much room for error as possible.

6. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Regardless we are more than a few players away. I think our d-line would be great. We would have tons of depth there, but our LB's wouldn't be all that. But thats why we have FA and the draft. On paper it would seem like we could pull off the switch, especially with a whole offseason to do it. Not like these guys havent played those positions before they got to Houston.

7. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

So would switching to a 4-3 change our draft philosophy? Would we want to go after an impact MLB in the first round and then take care of the O Line after that?? Impact MLB in Free agency?? hmmmm... well.. atleast im getting excited about Texans football again.

8. GP

GP Go Texans!

Yeah, but you're trying to convert the "pro 3-4" crowd that thinks it is soooooooo sacred and special.

I hear what you're saying, and I agree.

But the pro 3-4 crowd just won't have anything of it.

I haven't seen anything of the 3-4 that makes me get excited.

9. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I'm a pro winning guy. I think most of the people that are pro 3-4 are that way because they believed in what Capers and Co. were telling us. We wanted to have faith in this organization. Now that a lot of faith is being lost, I'm willing to be a lot of those pro 3-4 guys will be willing to take a look at whatever our Front Office is willing to bring in... as long as we see results I dont care if we run a 10-1.

10. TigerV1

TigerV1 All Pro

That quote made my day. lol:

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I just saw it ran well yesterday. Too bad they were the team in black.

12. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Peek and Babin would get trucked on a consistent basis playing DE in a 4-3 scheme in this league.

13. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

both Peek and Babin are playing out of possition on our team right now. Both were DE's in college and I'm sure they wouldnt mind making the switch... again.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Yep, they aren't full blown NFL DE's. They are labeled 'tweeners' for a reason.

15. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I'm sure the Texans fitness coach wouldnt have too much trouble beefing those boys up a little so they can play down on the line.

16. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Fair enough. I'll just say that I'm not so sure.

17. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

4-3 defense

DE's - Babin or Peek could possibly play an undersized RE but neither is big enough to play LE. We might pull over one of the DT's to play LE.
    DT - We would have a lot of options with Walker, Johnson, Payne and Robaire Smith.
    LB - Wong would probably play MLB not LLB in a 4-3, although he could play either. Greenwood be our RLB (weakside).

A scenario
    LE - Gary Walker
    LT - Robaire Smith
    RT - Seth Payne/T. Johnson
    RE - Jason Babin/Antwaan Peek
    LLB - ? (perhaps someone not on our roster right now)
    MLB - Kailee Wong
    RLB - M. Greenwood

This isn't ideal personal for the DE and OLB slots, but it would probably be our initial one.

18. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

The 3-4, when properly run with the right personnel, is a very good Defense. The Steelers have been running it forever, drafting for it, and do very well with it. We've been running it 4 years and don’t really have the right people for it. IMO. I'm a 3-4 type guy, but it obviously isn't working here. We're some where in the middle. A few players either way and we would do well. It’s just easier to find players for a 4-3 than a 3-4. But yeah we would need a real 4-3 DE and LLB. We could use Babin and Peek as our rush ends on passing downs, no coverage responsibility.

19. J-Man

J-Man Veteran

Good point...the key there is that teams that have success with the 3-4 have been running it, drafting for it, and developing guys for many years...Steelers and Patriots are the case in point. It was mentioned during the game by the announcers that Cowher was asked about this very point and he said the absolute key is in drafting over time and being able to develop the players in the correct mold. I think we can ID 4 impact defensive players that we really missed the boat on (Sharper, Glenn, Foley, Posey). 3 of the 4 are starting and are significant players for playoff level teams.

PS...if we do switch to the 4-3 (which wouldn't hurt my feelings) then I highly recommend we do a double Ohio State dip with Hawk and Carpenter in the rounds 1 and 2. Heck...I would pick-up either one of those guys even if we don't switch to the 4-3.

20. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Yeah Hawk is a baller. I wouldnt be mad if he wass our #1 pick. The thing about Pit and NE is that they always have young skilled guys replacing veterans. How quickly did Pit forget about Kevin Greene and Greg Loyd? Real fast. Posey seems to playing OLB very well, to bad its not for us.