If Bama loses to Florida in the SEC championship game ...

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Hookem Horns, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Can Bama still play in the BCS championship game? If not why not? Bama beat Ole Miss, Florida lost to Ole Miss. If head to head doesn't mean as much (as in the case with some with UT/OU) and what each did against a common opponent is more important. Just food for thought.

2. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

I do not think The BCS will want a rematch game be it Bama and Fla or UT and OU!
    I think the Championship game will be Bama/Fla vs UT/OU. Unless there are some major upsets this weekend.
    :specnatz:

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

sorry USC you got run by the Beavers. end of discussion.

if Bama loses they should face Oklahoma loser against Texas while Florida squares off against the Longhorns winners get their rematch in BCS Championship. pretty simple to me :)

4. Hookem Horns

My sarcastic point was that many think OU should jump Texas on the fact that Texas lost to TT and OU beat them, head to head be damned. If that same scenario plays out between Bama and Florida with the common opponent of Ole Miss it sounds ridiculous.

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

If Bama loses to Florida they go to the Sugar Bowl & probably play Ohio St.

Texas/OU vs. Florida would be the championsip game.

6. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

THe BCS has been and always will be a ridiculous system ,IMO! LET THEM PLAY!

7. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

If you wanna go by your belief that if both teams have one loss and one beat the other than the team that won should be ahead in the polls, then TT should go over Texas to the BCS Title game.

8. Hookem Horns

Agreed if all is even steven. However because of the system TT is out of the conversation and now ranked 7 due to getting completely blown out by OU. If Texas would have been beaten down by 40 or more points vs Tech they wouldn't be in the conversation either.

However the argument is now between UT and OU.

9. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

Too bad the Big 12 does not take their 2 highest rank teams to the Big 12 Championship Game!

10. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

You can't lose by 44 on a prime time nationally telivised game and still be in the national championship hunt.

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Alabama is a joke at #1 . They wont even be in the national title picture after playing Florida. Hell they migh not even beat Auburn.

12. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Not so sure about that, especially the Auburn part. They don't look very good at all. Florida looks above average, but they aren't playing at that elite level from the past few weeks.

13. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Alabama has some weaknesses, but they aren't a joke at #1. Their defense is for real, and their running game is for real. I do think Florida is better, but it's not as large a gap as you're suggesting.

14. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I think a good scheme by 'Bama can slow the Urban Myer effect. I think Alabama has an elite level defense that can slow Florida, and if Harvin is out, I think Florida will really struggle with stretching the sidelines. I think this will be a very close game and a very good game.

15. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Who have they beat that is good? They havent played against any potent offense. They are overrated bigtime. They should of lost to LSU. LSU played with one of the worst backup QB's I have ever seen (Remember im a long time Oiler fan) and IIRC 2 backup OL the whole second half and still took them to overtime. Kentucky (6 & 6) gave them a good game 17 to 14. What is the worst loss by a #1 team? Florida will win that game by 20+ with or without Harvin.

16. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Winner of the SEC championship goes to the national championship. Bama/Fla will go. Then that leaves OU if they beat Mizzou. However, if Mizzou pulls the unlikely upset, Texas in the lead to go to the national championship with an outside shot of Southern Cal. Albeit its a smaaaalll shot, USC is still in the picture.

It's a shame Ole Miss couldn't just beat Bama too. :)

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I would settle for adding a one game playoff for co champions. It doesnt happen often but culd you imagine the hype that would be around game. It would be huge. Thats the kind of event that could boost college footballs popularity too unbelievable heights.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

What happens to the loser of that game?

In this case, would the 2-loss loser of such a game get into a BCS bowl ahead of a 1-loss team?

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

You miss understand, my fualt for lazy typing.:) I mean in the case of 2 teams being voted co champions there should be a final game to decide who the real champion is. The whole idea of co champion is ridiculous.

If te polls are split ther should be one game to decide it all. It happened in 2003 LSU (National Champs)
    USC (#1 in AP Poll)

Could you imagine the hype that would be around that game. The buildup could take years and when it finally got here it would be the most talked about event in sports for years.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

So you mean a plus-one system for the BCS championship?