Ideal Offseason Scenario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFan15, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I'd prefer to use the 3rd on a CB that could help immediately. And the 5th on OL
    Use the 6th on DL. We can get an UDFA to replace Blue

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or a FA like Coleman/Ingram.

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

IDK, vets have been cheap lately in the trade market unless it's a pro bowl talent, and this past year Peterson didn't make it.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  4. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I think that's highly doubtful, they are already paying Chandler Jones premium pass rusher money, they have Peterson on a very friendly contract with how the market currently is. I don't see them trading a player of his caliber on that contract for another pass rusher they would have to pay big money to, especially with them having the first pick, so they can land a premier pass rusher on the cheap

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  5. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I'd be happy with picking any player in the 3rd, mainly because we don't have a 3rd lol

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They have a 3rd.

They dont have a 4th,

LOL

FuzzyLogic likes this.
  7. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

Why do we not have a third?

The DT trade was for a fourth and swapping 7th

JB likes this.
  8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

|

Oops. Need a drink? :D

or perhaps coffe if it's your morning

9. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

yea Monday morning brain fart here, I was thinking DT was a 3rd and Golden Tate was a 2nd....

JB likes this.
  10. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

This off season and draft discussion is going to be torturous, long and frustrating.

Corrosion, OptimisticTexan and Speedy like this.

11. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I am actually looking forward to it for once. This is the first time in a lot of years where 95% of our draft and off season discussion won't revolve around trying to find a QB

12. Max

Max All Pro

Since this is fantasy island, I'll either have RAC start playing assignment football on the DL with our current guys, or trade JJ and JD and with the capital netted, get an interior Dlineman that can push the pocket and have Mercilus, Ejiafor (bring in another rotational DE) and have them all play assignment football. We'll have fewer sacks but be playing sounder football. Teams starting baiting JJ and JD into backside pursuit and simply ran at their vacated spot or bootlegged that way. Time to get back to fundamental football on defense. And yes, lets get a cb or two that can play press coverage.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  13. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Thank God I really like baseball. That will have me only half ass checking out the football discussion.

Carr Bombed and steelbtexan like this.
  14. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

As you know, the Astros season thread here is quite enjoyable. Looking forward to discussing balls and strikes again.

Carr Bombed and OptimisticTexan like this.
  15. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Exactly, that's why Clowney would be more valuable as a tag and trade commodity. The picks he would return, could give the Texans the necessary picks to combine with a package surrounding Mercilus (actually like this option that someone else mentioned) that allows the Texans to maintain their RD1 and RD2 positions. Not to mention, there should still be a pick inside the first 4 rounds left to work with.

Before anyone screams that I've essentially given Clowney and Mercilus for Peterson and a pick or 2....Peterson brings more to this defense's overall play in 2019 than either Clowney or Mercilus would, IMHO.

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Would rather trade Mercilous.

Badger is over hyped. He’s ok and I would sign him as long as it’s a fair market deal that pays him as a slightly above average safety which is what he is. Would rather go after Earl Thomas.

Jackson is on the wrong side of thirty. Only resign if it’s a short reasonable contract. He played great this year but I wouldn’t pay him

Go after Jake Mathews and Zack Martin and Matt Paradis in FA. Tell Mathews to come home to his family. Tell Martin to come play with his brother. Go BPA in draft.

17. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

Jake Matthews isn't a free agent - signed a 5 year 75 million extension earlier this year
    Zack Martin isn't a free agent - signed an extension with the Cowboys earlier this year

Texas Jake, mussop, JB and 1 other person like this.
  18. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

30 is not the demarcation line for DBs that it is for RBs. KJax is almost exactly 1 year older than Thomas. Thomas will also be a lot more expensive.

19. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Again you are missing the Why would Arizona do it? Just because the Texans are fine making it work, doesn't mean the cardinals are. They have Chandler Jones, and will probably draft another great pass rusher in Bosa. They have 0 need to trade a top 3 corner for an additional pass rusher

We finished 18th in the league with 43 sacks this year, we are already not good at rushing the passer why give up 2/3 of our best pass rushers? So we can look like Gruden did this season, and just go "Idk why we can't get pressure on the quarterback, I'm sure it has nothing to do with us giving up our best pass rushers..."

Texas Jake, OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

you give up a pass rusher if you can get picks allowing you to draft a starting corner and a starting LT in round one allowing your own regular picks to add to you team needs such as replacement for Clowney if you think Ejiofor not the guy. If this thing breaks just right and it may. 2019 could be draft that is all time best for Texans.