Ideal Offseason Scenario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFan15, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

FIFY

otisbean and Texas Jake like this.
  2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Depends on your definition of value

Are 2 premium FA's worth 10 Roby's/Fells/Mills/Gipson's of the world?

But hey, they've valued themselves to the top of the salary cap charts, although according to some they're still in cap hell.

Championship

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You understand it's the top 51 right? You have to have the bargain bin players or you can't pay the stars. Welcome to reality and salary cap. You want a roster of 25? Not how it works my friend... team HAS to field 46 or forfeit idb

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You get the best 30 or so you can for the $$$$ and fill out the rest with draft picks/cheap FA's/UDFA's.

BTW, Give me cheap high draft picks that I've gotten in trade for these high priced star players. See: Clowney, give me 3 guys that can play over 1 guy that is a star but misses time.

OptimisticTexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You're talking about average salary of $5m for 30 players... how many elite stars ya gonna have? What will you pay them?

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

With steelb strategy the Texans will be starting too many rookies and street free agents.

Texansballer74 and JB like this.
  7. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I certainly understand the frustration that the Texans may end the primary free agency period doing little more than replacing the losses- and keeping the roster talent level near "flat." However, don't forget that we do have a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick... So, if the roster looks as good or a little better than it did in December, then we are certainly in position to enter 2019 significantly stronger.

by the way, I love really like the Fells signing- and will love it if/when Ryan Griffin is off the roster!

8. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I never said he stated that, I’m talking about how everyone was saying he’s some QB Guru and how he’s an offensive mind. But it isn’t even a debate for me I’d take Andy Reid. As long as their star players can quit hitting women and children in the offseason, they’re the team to beat moving forward. They have hands down the most explosive offense in the NFL, Mahomes is a perfect Mcnabb like fit for Reid, and that’s even after the loss of Hunt. Mahomes is a hell of a QB, but I doubt he’s the MVP in the Dolphins offense. Just like Alex Smith was on an absolute tear 2 seasons ago with KC even though he’s just a slightly above average QB. I know they lost both of their pass rushers, however this is the year to stock up on DL talent. If they could add 2-3 defensive starters in the draft and through other transactions before the season they’re the clear front runners in the AFC for the foreseeable future imo. Andy Reid knows how to get the best out of his guys and knows what a good team is. You know what you have in OB, he’s not a terrible coach, he can win with a loaded team, but he’s not going to elevate any players to another level and put them in positions to maximize their potential

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I agree with you Reid is an offensive Mastermind. I don't even know who said BOB was one.

Mahomes has developed quicker because 1. Reid 2. Better talent around him 3. Mahomes wasn't coming off of an ACL.

I don't see the Chiefs being clear cut favorites as long as BB/Brady are in Foxboro. BTW, considering Watson was coming off of injury and playing behind a terrible OL BOB has done a good job of developing Watson. IMHO

Texas Jake and CWTexansFan like this.
  10. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

I will say also Mahomes got to ride the bench for a year and study under a QB that, while not HoF, was a vet and had a proven record. Watson got...…….Savage.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You should have 5 top level contracts

20 mid level contracts

10 rookie contracts

10 vet min contrccon

5 Udfa contracts

I'm just rounding but you get the idea.

Tell me this, why is it other teams are making all kinds of moves and the Texans have cap issues, even though they have the 2nd most cap space in the league?

leebigeztx likes this.
  12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You should have 5 top level contracts

20 mid level contracts

10 rookie contracts

10 vet min contrccon

5 Udfa contracts

I'm just rounding but you get the idea.

Tell me this, why is it other teams are making all kinds of moves and the Texans have cap issues, even though they have the 2nd most cap space in the league?

I can't waow to hear this one.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I am disappointed we didn't trade for the two OL that were got for low round picks.

However, I also believe we're now seeing exactly what the Texans think of their team. Honey Badger & Kjax weren't a big part of what they wanted to do & were easily replaced by Roby & Gipson (sp). Regardless what we think of Roby & Gipson, the Texans feel they're as good if not better than the two who left. They feel confident enough in this that they moved early enough to get their guys.

We also see Alfred Blue has video. Not photos or obscure text messages. Video (4K, with sound).

Then they see Davenport & Henderson as good as anything out there at this time considering their plans going forward. Hopefully that means they have identified the guy they want in the draft & feel they have a better than good chance of making it happen.

I don't think Davenport is a LT for a Championship team. I also dont believe Donald Penn is either. I'll take cheap Davenport over expensive Penn if I'm planning on replacing both of them soon anyway.

santo, DocBar, otisbean and 3 others like this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Fair enough

I dont think Penn can play at a championship level for a full season. I think he can play well for a few games. Then a drafted rookie can take over after getting experience. Penn is a bridge to a drafted rookie. Davenport isn't this at all.

15. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

What other teams are making all kinds of moves? They aren't and after Clowney's tag and replacing Mattheiu/Kareem they don't have a lot of caproom.

16. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Yep, developing him to escape like a mutha. There's no way in hell you can give Watson a fair evaluation, or judge OB's effect in his development in the situation they're in. Dude hasn't been able to play real football yet.

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Sure he has, he runs all over the field, has some fancy footwork and is always being knocked down, that's as football as you can get. Oh wait, you meant American football, sorry was thinking European football. Yeah on that he's been a tackling dummy.

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

There is merit in your structure

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  19. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I'll agree to that. With the recent news of Gronk retiring, Brady is likely to follow soon. While I agree that Belichick's system has a lot to do with Brady's success, I don't think they'll be a perennial powerhouse without him. People will soon see that style of not paying players even though they cost a little more than you want (looking at you, Gaine) will not work. So I think KC will eventually take over as the top dogs with the Colts right behind them. We're a distant 3rd/4th until a new regime is in place.

steelbtexan likes this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Or until ownership allows the GM to change their ways.

281Texan likes this.